RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on self propelled mowers

Need opinions on self propelled mowers

I am due for a new push mower for trimming and mowing the bank. I looked a 2 Husqvarna self propelled models. One with a Kholer engine and the other with a Honda engine. Are self propelled mowers worth the extra money or should I just go with a standard push mower. My main concern is durability of the running gear. Opinions and experiences would be welcome.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

It all depends on how much you have to mow, and your physical condition.

Fwiw, I'd go with the Honda engine, all else being equal.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Seconds on the honda engine. You can't go wrong with honda. I don't like self propelled, but that's just my opinion. I just don't think they are that much help.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

That Honda one is a beast. A friend bought one last year. Pretty sure you can ride it if you wanted to. But it's really heavy for a push mower. I'm still partial to the Toro self pace system. Any one where you just select a gear is not intuitive when using it.

Both honda, and kholer engines are good. I don't like self propelled unless its a riding mower.

Boolit Bub
    I'd go with the Honda.

I love my self propelled mower, I bought it after I broke my back and I could use it with minimal physical effort.
    they are pretty heavy unless you have the wheels going though.

Boolit Bub
    I did a little research on this last year when I bought one. The Honda brand (not just motor) ranks the highest in self propelled. The motors worked great with other brands using Honda motors but a lot of people had issues with things like wheels braking off, etc. I bought a Honda brand and I have been impressed with it. It was worth the extra money in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never found a self propelled walk behind mower that was geared right for me. They either want to go too fast or too slow; whether it is grass thickness or my walking speed.

Another thing is since I have been having problems with my back and knees is the handle is generally too low, causing me to stoop while using them.

What I did is re-engineer my yard to where I can get everything with my Kubota tractor with a Woods belly mower. I still have one strip that I need to plant flowers on; I can mow it, but once the idiot that runs the township's maintainer cleans (yeah right) the ditches one more time it will be a bit too dicey to want to ride it.

A very big plus is that I used only four gallons of diesel last summer, instead of one gallon of gasoline every time I mowed the yard.

As to engines, I have never read anything bad about either Kohler or Honda.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have had a Huskvarna for about 4 years, I like it. You can operate with one or two hands and the speed is variable, that I really like. Some areas you want fast others like around the bushes you want slow. I am not sure about the motor, might be a Kohler.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy

I like both motors with the edge going to the Honda. I'm a fan of self propelled lawn mowers. The ones I have dealt with are pretty simple mechanically. Have you looked at any other brands, I haven't been real excited about Husqvarna since they got bought by White I believe.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Get a rear drive, not a front drive. I have a honda branded self propelled mower for the past 3 seasons. Went out last week, set it to choke, 3 pulls and she was purring away. It had a variable drive so you decide how fast to go and it has seperate lever to engage the blade. I can keep it running while blade is shut off. It's a nice mower and haven't had a moments issue.

Whatever you get, be sure to add the ethanol stabilizer to it. New ethanol blends are really bad for motors in general, especially seasonal mowers.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a riding mower but I need a walk behind for my ditch. I bought the Husqvarna self propelled and I am happy ( and I use the term loosely as I don't like mowing) with it.

Anything that can't be cut with a riding mower or planted in flower beds gets sprayed with roundup. Arthritis.

Boolit Master
    I have a Husqvarna self propelled (front wheel drive assist) mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor. It is about 10 yrs. old. I have done nothing to it except change oil and the spark plug once. (I touch up the blade once a year). It is the large rear wheel model. (a waste of money) The front wheel drive is more of an assist and it does tend to make the mower track crooked if you don't watch it. It takes some getting used to going from a non self propelled unit. I have not even replaced the drive belt yet.

I still use Hahn mowers from the 70's and 80's. Light, simple, cast aluminum deck, they last and are really easy to make repairs when needed. The expensive behemoths they have now make mowing more of a chore than it has to be.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't use one, but my father used to. I had to rework his with larger driven gears because he could not keep up with it's speed. I would recommend a variable speed model. On as to the Honda engine : make sure whatever engine you get you have a good dealer to support it. The Honda dealer in my area is not worth killing. I'll never have another Honda engine because I can not get even mediocre service or parts support.

Boolit Master

The suggestion for the rear drive is spot on because while front wheel drive may work for cars it's just about useless on a lawn mower unless your lawn is table-top flat and short grass, come to think of it even then it's just a bad idea. Think about it, if the mower just needs a nudge to help it along (a VERY common occurrence with most lawns) just the slightest push on the handle will tend to lift the front wheels just when they need traction the most! Rear wheel drive however is just the opposite and the wheels tend to get better traction with a bit of a nudge on the handle while front driven wheels just spin uselessly. Even without a nudge rear drive gets much better traction because front drive is trying to drag the thing along while with rear drive the torque is trying to lift the front of the mower which transfers weight to the rear resulting in better traction, front wheel drive cars tend to get somewhat better traction due to most of the weight of the vehicle being located over the wheels but a mower does not have this advantage. Also try to find one with the biggest rear wheel drive available, Husky seems better than most here, but unfortunately most mowers have big rear wheels on non-propelled and front drive models but it's hard to find big rear wheels on rear drive models.
    Last edited by oldred; 04-06-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Had breakfast with a friend yesterday.

He is 82 and still mows his own lawn with a Honda Self Propelled.

He said he needed to mow but his machine was in the mower hospital to get a new gear box.

It had stripped out.

He said he was a little disappointed in that it had only lasted 27 years.

He went on to say that he didn't think it was the actual age that caused it to break. He thought it might have been that curb he ran over.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

If you don't think self-propelled mowers are a help you haven't tried to cut grass in South Florida. This stuff would be a weed anywhere else. It's thick with lot's of runners and feels like carpet when you walk on it. I use 2 different Honda's. One at my house and one at Mom's both rear wheel drive. I have had very little trouble with them. You will have to replace the drive wheels as they wear but how often will depend on your yard. Oh yeah, I got them both at yard sales.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't kept up with the newest innovations them.
    BUT I am a big fan of the older models of the Snapper Hi-Vac walk behind/selfpropelled . I bag my grass, and it's design (with added bolt-on "wings" on the blade) has a incredible amount of suction, as much as any Lawn vac that I've used.

The Rear drive has a differential so the wheels don't dig in on corners as well as a simple spring loaded lever to disengage the drive. The drive has several "adjustable" speeds utilizing a rubber covered Disk like many snowthrowers have, so you can go slower in tall grass and faster when you want, with just the change of a shift lever which is just like the throttle on an old farm tractor. The Mower deck is fairly thick steel, so it will outlast a motor...The draw back is, it's a heavy tank, but since it's self propelled, it's not as big a deal as you'd think. I notice the weight, when I have to lift the thing up onto my truck, when I haul it to some's house to mow their lawn.

Here is an example of an older one that's been refurbished.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snapper-Hi-V...-/141247734904

I have bought several of these and rebuilt them. It's a long on-going design, so replacement parts are readily available. I have put a $99 harbor freight 5.5hp engine on the most recent one I rebuilt. It has worked great for the first season. I call it a China honda, as it has most of the features of a Honda GX as well as looking similar.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast