RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on self propelled mowers

don't feed them ethanol gas? Went through 2 Lawnboys (FWD), 2 Toros (RWD), now have a Honda (RWD) that starts every time. I have heard that when the tranny goes - get another one. Now that is for 40 yrs of mowing. Lawnboys had carb problems and I got them for $20 used from a buddy that was a OMC salesman and got a new one free. Wore out 1 Toro and gave the other to my son when he got a house. Had the Honda for 10yrs now, no problems. I did have a push reel mover once - for about a month!
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I am the original anti-jap, but I am now on my 2nd Honda self-propelled. The first one ran for 28 years, doing a corner lot. I have absolutely no regrets. Besides, they start every time you pull the rope, unlike a green one and a red one that I once owned.

Boolit Master
    I've used both types for trimming and I prefer a small, light push mower. Seems the self-propelled mowers tend to be much heavier, and the constant engage/disengage of the drive mechanism when you pull it back is annoying and has to be hard on the mechanism. If it is front wheel drive you don't have to fool with the engagement hassle; as you can just tilt it up to pull back on it.

If you enjoy tinkering and you're minimally handy with small engines can probably get a trim mower at the local dump/convenience center. I've gotten a few over the years that didn't run, but they needed nothing more than a carburetor cleaning. They weren't pretty, but if they work who cares?

Boolit Master

We broke down and bought a mower last year after me suffering thru using push mowers that the landlady brought us. I have really bad shoulders and knees and Sam has trouble walking any distance with his lower back problems, so I generally do the small lawn we have.

That said. Our lawn is up/down, full of holes, has places in the spring and if we get heavy rain that pretty much stay mushy for weeks. (high water table) I just could not push a mower anymore. So, after using our neighbor's Honda self propelled a couple times, we just bought a Husqvarna with the Honda engine. It starts with a minimal pull. Has a bag so I can keep the clippings for the composter and it has the adjustable handle speed on the push bar.

I LOVE IT....it does 95% of the work instead of me. I can make it go slow and just a bit faster to get up hills. Easy to clean up with a hose and the attachment that you plug the hose into on the mower deck. Just start it back up and let the water run and it cleans itself underneath. That mower is right up there on my list of favorite yard tools. The Husky snowblower is next...also self propelled.

I love Husky stuff. As long as you don't get the cheaper made models you won't regret them.

Julie
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    I hate the idea of going to Japan for something as simple as small engines but I have to admit Honda has small engines down pat, just tough to beat. I've been hearing all sorts of not so good things about Briggs & Stratton motors over the last few years. I've been watching the local want ads last year and this year for a used riding mower and almost across the board the only ones being sold are Craftsman and with Briggs motors. Makes ya wonder why people are only selling Craftsman mowers and none of the other brands are being sold used.

Rick
    I used a Craftsman Mower on about 1 Acre for 4 yrs with no problems. I got tired of spending 3hrs mowing the lawn and got a Cub Cadet Rider for $100 off a guy that just had to have a zero turn.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    GONRA needs info on anything I can add to 89 octane gasoline to increase volatility
    for easy Summer starting my Little Wonder Leaf Blower.
    Thanx in advance!

(Am NOT interested in "carburetor spray starting fluids".) THANX!

Boolit Buddy
    I just saw this thread and didn't read all of the replies.

My 2 cents. I am about to replace my current self propelled mower. It is a Honda and at the time it was a commercial model. It has the heavier deck and overall is a heavier mower. The local hardware got a deal on a big lot of them and I have never regretting spending the money. Some of the tires/wheels and bearings are going bad on the old Honda but it starts every year with no more than 2-3 pulls and runs like a top. I asked my wife how long we have had this as she keeps every receipt. Turns out we are almost at 30 years on this Honda! Needless to say, we are looking at getting a replacement and it too will be a Honda.

I did purchase a mower for our daughter when she got her new home and it is a Husquvarna and I insisted she at least have a Honda engine.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA needs info on anything I can add to 89 octane gasoline to increase volatility
    for easy Summer starting my Little Wonder Leaf Blower.
    Thanx in advance!

(Am NOT interested in "carburetor spray starting fluids".) THANX!
    I don't think GONRA needs to add anything to 89 oct. fuel
    I think GONRA just needs to Prime the fuel system.

On gas engines with no primer bubble, JonB will choke the carb and pull the recoil rope "slow and easy" once or twice, maybe thrice if the engine is notorious for hard starting. That primes the carb and cylinder. Then JonB will Unchoke the Carb and pull the recoil with gusto...Starts every time.

I use to sell used/rebuilt push mowers...some were tough starters...I'd show that little trick to the buyers, the mower would start on the first pull every time, that is the first pull with gusto...Sold a lot of mowers that way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

ive got a husky with a honda motor. Its been a good mower. That said theres two lines of honda motors. They make a great motor for there own top end equiptment and a cheaper motor for entry level equiptment and to sell to others. There still a good motor but not AS good. I remember one home we put power into when I was a lineman. they had a honda 5000 watt generator that had ran non stop for 2 years. Only stopped to change oil and it still didn't use oil. Don't think your getting a motor like that in a 150 dollar Lowes huskavarna lawn mower

Boolit Master
    GONRA appreciates JonB in Glencoe's detailed reply - put a copy with my Little Wonder.
    Thanx again!

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got a highly ranked (at the time) Honda brand (mower AND engine) self propelled mower I’ve had for 6 years. Besides normal yearly maintenance and adjustments of cables and such, it’s been an awesome self propelled mower.

Agree with Honda engine and rear propelled over front.

Boolit Master
    Toro self propelled with Kohler engine here. I cheaped out the first mower I had and regretted it so when I had to get another one I spent a bit more. Only problem I've had is that cruddy ethanol in the gas gumming up the carb.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I use a Husky with Honda engine and AWD. When you squeeze the handle, you better be walking. Starts on the first pull every time.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Buddy
    I see the gas issue raised on here. I have had four houses on corner lots over my lifetime, just how it worked out. This last one I said I want to get a blower and see how that works. The first one lasted almost exactly one year, it was a craftsman so who knows who made it. The second one and with my Stihl trimmer and Honda mower I only use premium fuel and have had zero problems since. The alcohol eats rubber and it only takes a little bit with a very small part and you are done.

Boolit Buddy
    my brother has a Husqvarna awd self propelled with the kohler engine I sharpen the blade and change the oil every year other than replacing the spark plug and air filter once that's all its ever needed . im gonna go against the grain here on honda small engines I know there reputation but I bought a new troybilt front wheel drive self propelled with honda engine a few summers ago brand new out of the box it was hard to start one day while cutting grass it just bogged and shut down I pulled my guts out for 20 min trying to start that mower (it was only 2 weeks old) I got it to fire it chugged at a real low rpm for a few seconds then died over and over . I know it wasn't bad gas I run ethynal free aviation fuel in all my small engines . I took it back to lowes and bought an awd self propelled Husqvarna with a briggs & Stratton and haven't had any trouble since, im on my 4th summer with it now . I realize anyone can put out a lemon from time to time but that was the 1st honda small engine ive ever owned and i wont even consider trying another . when my troybilt power washer died this summer (12 yrs old with briggs engine) i went to home depot to look at Ryobi power washers till i saw they had honda engines i wouldn't even consider it, i went to lowes and got another troybilt with a briggs.

Boolit Master
    Yep I will never again put any whisky gas in my lawn equipment or chain saws, that’s been a boon for small engine repair for about as long as its been available. It’s non alcohol gas around lake here
    At $2.70 even put it in my personal vehicles gives better gas mileage.

Boolit Master
    I haven’t met a self propelled mower that was fast enough yet! I tend to run as fast as the engine can handle.

I had a Toro with the "personal pace" self propelled mower. Biggest piece of junk I ever owned. In and out of the shop constantly. Even the dealer was embarrassed. Finally, on the last time in the shop, I demanded that the dealer sell me a better self-propelled mulching mower at his cost - a Honda self propelled.
    Not a thing has gone wrong with it. I send it into the shop every other season for a going over.
    Highly recommended.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

All this positive talk about Honda push mowers makes me want to go out and find one.
    I looked at Craigslist, found a clean looking one (Honda Harmony 215) that appeared to not be abused, from the style it appears to be about 20 years old, they said it runs good and starts easy.
    what surprised me, was it has a plastic deck...
    ...so the question to you Honda push mower owners, Is that plastic deck the way to go?
    anything to look for? cracks or erosion?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

12 years on my Honda and premium gas, NOT one bit of trouble in those 12 years. Starts 1st pull every time..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast