Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I put this together last night

Boolit Grand Master

So I put this together last night

deleted
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-25-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Boolit Master

If you're new to this and you have a decently well stocked gun shop nearby, take it to them. A set of back up iron sights or "B.U.I.S.", a riser and a red dot, all cowitnessed, shouldn't be to hard to scare up.

To me, sacriledge is buying blaser aluminum cased ammo. Factory ammo has its place. Besides, who doesn't like once fired brass?
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Banned

scope it and enjoy it.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I guess this is the right forum since there is no semiautomatic rifle one and this isn't a factory rifle.

Specs aren't important unless people want to know. It felt weird putting it together. I love lever actions made of steel and wood so this felt like I was cheating on all of them. Pretty simple assembly process. And now I need to buy some factory ammo, I know , to make sure it performs well. Still need to buy sights for it but I'm not sure which ones I'm going to get. This rifle is going to be the outcast of the safe :laugh:
    My suggestion would be to google Magpul back up iron sights and take a look at what's available. You can buy their sets fairly inexpensively, they are well made and work really well. The one problem you'll have is your front sight is going to be mounted to a gas port, which precludes you using any plastic sights, as those will melt if you fire it much. But lots of sights available for reasonable prices, especially using your google fu, finding a set you like, then looking on amazon and ebay for the best delivered price to your house. That's how I've come up with my favorite parts for AR's at very reasonable prices.

You've made a good barrel choice by not getting an M4 cut. If your eyes are good and you don't need a scope, I'd go fixed, rather than fold down iron sights. They'll be less expensive. Or just a fixed "F" height front sight and a fold down rear. Then you can add a scope later if you choose. That looks like a 16" barrel, so I'd consider barrel exit velocities and practical range before spending a lot of money on a scope. A Nikon M223 fairly low power (4-6X) will do the job really well out to about 600 yards from everything I've read. I almost fell into the "tactical" trap related to scopes and some of those things cost a fortune are are way over powered for the rifle's range. One thing to remember is the military mostly uses 3-4X fixed power/dot sights on rifles very similar to yours. Very effective that way.

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 04-04-2014 at 11:44 PM.

You can thank arfcom and the tactical ninja rangers over on that forum for the prices. They take a nice six to seven pound carbine and turn it into a 20 pound night mare with high dollar accessories. worse than women buying purses

Primary Arms has a YHM QD rear sight on sale right now for $49 after saving $58 with coupon code Y5010. I just got one, it looks rock solid, just needs a bit of lubrication, the black tacticool finish rubs a bit on the button.

Dragon, some stuff in red and perhaps a useful link below for your mount:

I used the stickies on that site to build the lower. They were very informative. But I use forums for this type of info all the time. I'm aware of what goes on over there :laugh:Ditto, I gave up on them when they started making 20 pound tacticool rifles. Some good basic information in the stickies though.

Picked up a Nikon P223 scope for it this morning. Of course they didn't have the mount for it. I googled the scope and found a mount I remember being rated as very satisfactory by folks who used it with the rifles. I linked it below. Only negative is it isn't QD.

Even went to a second store in the area that said it was available in store, and that they had it on hand, but of course they didn't. So now I have to wait to shoot it because I picked up some ammo this morning I've found that by the time I burn gas running around town trying to find what I want, I've spent more money than just ordering online. And lying store owners don't get a repeat call from me. I do try to use them to buy firearms, but sometimes they are just ridiculous.

I think I have a cheap red dot somewhere in the house
    Here's the link to a couple decent affordable mounts:

Nikon P series mounts, 40 bucks shipped from Amazon, good as any:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Burris PEPR QD mount, well liked and has option for adding a small dot sight on the rings, I think another gentleman listed a Primary Arms discount code for you:

http://www.primaryarms.com/Burris-AR...p/bu410342.htm

Hope this helps,

I think I'd order the mounts from one of the dealers that actually have in stock and not be stuck on just ordering from amazon. I'm not one for sending stuff to a store when I can save my gas and have it delivered to my front door. Not with gas running from $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon.

P-series mounts can be found here. SWFA is a quality retailer.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-P-Series-2-Pie...nt-P61898.aspx

4895 works real well, but you'll have to meter it by hand. But to "get by" until, it'll do the job.

Check out Widener's, they have some pretty nice looking milsurp ammo that looks like it's factory contract leftovers from when the government stopped buying ammo to use in the sandbox. Has stripper clips already on it, real nice stuff I'm betting.

Mine likes 25gr of 2230/X-Terminator or H335 with a 55gr jword or 23.5gr of Varget with a 69gr SMK. Have also used RE-15, BL(C)-2, 3031, TAC, V.V. N133, 2360, CFE223, etc. with varying results. Lotsa choices.
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 04-07-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Sp.

Boolit Master

I have found several powders that work well in .223 for me but the most accurate(by a small margin) has been H335. H322, H4198, IMR4895 all worked quite well also. james

Love Life
    Unless you built it for varmint shooting, roll with the iron sights. The platform will surpise you with how well it/you shoot/s with iron sights. If you must buy an optic, get an ACOG and call it done. I recommend no other optical sight for the ninjee black rifle.

You can put your order in, pay a million dollars, wait a million years, collect rimfire brass, anneal it, clean it, cast cores, clean them, then swage your own bullets or you can take that money and buy 10,000 FMJ ready to load and shoot. Your call, but I know what I would be doing....

I don't cast for AR or any rifle (maybe every now and then for M48) since performance loss isn't worth the cost savings to me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Unless you built it for varmint shooting, roll with the iron sights. The platform will surpise you with how well it/you shoot/s with iron sights. If you must buy an optic, get an ACOG and call it done. I recommend no other optical sight for the ninjee black rifle.

You can put your order in, pay a million dollars, wait a million years, collect rimfire brass, anneal it, clean it, cast cores, clean them, then swage your own bullets or you can take that money and buy 10,000 FMJ ready to load and shoot. Your call, but I know what I would be doing....

I don't cast for AR or any rifle (maybe every now and then for M48) since performance loss isn't worth the cost savings to me.
    Exactly what LL said. I used to be against ACOG or EOTech because of the cost...............but after trying them they are ALL the AR platforms needs/desires. As far as iron sights go (I'm kind of prejudiced because I'm a Stag Arms dealer....) but the Diamondhead iron sights although outrageously expensive for irons are the only sights my old eyes can handle.

I prefer EOTech because they are made in the USA and the company will NOT import them outside the US.

The quote on ammo is accurate also. Doesn't pay my time to reload for 5.56 when I can buy 1,000 rounds *almost* as cheap as the reloading components cost.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Uh, most factory ammo costs at least 40 cents a round,more often 50, before taxes. If u buy hornady 100 packs for 17-20 $ a box it still comes out under 30 cent a shot. If u shop round u can easily save more than that. That's already 3$ a mag savings, but it does take li'l more time. But I like reloading as much as shooting... win win in my book.

Being a iron sights kind of guy I went with just irons on mine but I soon found they don't really do the rifle the justice of its accuracy. These are a nice and inexpensive (ALL METAL) rear sight $40-55 that I went with just make sure your at a F marked front sight height with whatever you put on that front gas block.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=121311871911

I had a 15"15" steel plate at 200 yards and as long as I couldn't see it behind the front sight post I kept ringing it... so I also bought these http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod13802.aspx
    Last edited by beroen; 04-10-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Rifle is now complete and all that's left is to zero it and shoot it :beer:

Looking good. Optics were the right choice regardless of cost. Irons are fun on a1/a2's but on the modern sporting rifle irons are considered back-ups. I prefer a 1-4or 6 for the balance of short range speed and long range ability. Have fun!

I bought a set of 45* iron sights for my AR for around 30.00. Just search for 45* iron sights on amazon and they will show up. That way you can have both scope and iron. Love mine.

Welcome to club ninja, lol.

Looks nice I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

Casting is worth it if you shoot short range and yer fingers are small enough.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    Watch out these rifles have a way of multiplying. Next thing you know you will have one in 300 blackout, a big bore of some sort, and a long range version in 6.8 spc, or my favorite the 6.5 Grendel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast