Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldi,s Digital Caliper $9.99

Boolit Master

Aldi,s Digital Caliper $9.99

If you are near an Aldi's Food market you might like thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	101303

Boolit Master

I don't know Shooter, you generally get what you pay for. Especially in tools.

But maybe it's just me.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned
    I'm sure they are fine. I have used plastic calipers and they measured exactly the same as a pair of Brown and Sharp. For what we are doing they are a cost effective tool. Buy em.

Boolit Master
    It's an odd thing with digital stuff. With mechanical tools, the more expensive tool is usually more accurate and precise as well as being able to stand up to more abuse. With digital, the accuracy is pretty much the same, cheap or expensive. That's just the way a computer works. The problem with cheap digital tools is life span. They just don't live very long...they're fragile. The expensive part of making digital tools is making them robust.

Banned
    Granted they won't survive the 6' drop test but neither will anything else. Bottom line as I mentioned its cheap and super accuracy simply isn't needed in what we are doing here. Don't need a $300 tool to measure OAL

Boolit Master
    Buy it and let us know how long it stands up and how accurate it is.
    NRA Life Member

Banned
    Ok, I bought one today. It measures as good as my Mitutoyo dial calipers do which measure the same as my Starret does. I could keep compairing the different calipers I have which all read the same.

The Aldi has a two year warranty and is a stainless hardened piece. Its not extremely smooth like the higher priced digital calipers are but for something to use on the bench that you don't have to worry about getting dirt in the rack it works very well. With the measurements I have made with it I am satisfied I can rely on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Can't beat the cheap ones I have a $10 didgital 6"one from harbor freight and it readers spot on

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    China cranks these out like poo thru a Christmas goose. I have several HF versions (4-12") and they serve their purpose in the field. For the instrument shop, I use name brand units. But the El-Cheeeepo ones are pretty darned accurate for the price!

Never heard of a food store (??) selling tools like that!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

It is pretty weird when a food store is selling digital calipers.

Where will they show up next? At the drive thru window at Taco Bell?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    It is pretty weird when a food store is selling digital calipers.

Where will they show up next? At the drive thru window at Taco Bell?

Bill
    Who cares? The point is they are a bargin for those not wishing to spend a lot of money and still want something capable of reading accurately. I felt the same way 40+ years ago when I was given my first pair of Mitutoyo claipers instead of the usual Starret. My world went upside down but I dealt with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Dropped the good German dial calipers off the bench. I think the neighbors 1/2 mile down the road heard me, talking like a sailor. Next trip to harbor freight, bought 2 of the digital calipers. Figuring one would break. Well first one still holds true and works. So these ones from Aldi's should be pretty decent too. We have an aldi's around here, but i don't want 3 sets of digital calipers. Buttttttt i could have them in different tool boxes. hmmmmmm time to get off the mountain and head into town.
    Looking for: 32acp mold-- 22 hornet jwords-- 7.62x54r- jwords, boolits, mold-- 7x57 brass, mold---7.62 Nagant-brass-- 8x56r-brass, jwords-- any old firearm laying around ( I'm starting to take gun smithing classes, and I'm looking for pieces I can work on, PM me with your details)

Poor execution of a problem on your part doesn't constitute a problem on mine.

13/14 Trapping season
    Coon-1
    Grinner-3
    Squirrel-3

I have a Harbor Freight one that I've had for nearly ten years now. I also have a set of Starrett micrometers from my engine building days. They each read the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecarmike View Post
    I have a Harbor Freight one that I've had for nearly ten years now. I also have a set of Starrett micrometers from my engine building days. They each read the same.
    I learned a lesson a long time ago as a guy behind the service counter pulled out a pair of plastic calipers to measure something. I immediately thought the $4 pladtic calipers wouldn't be capable of a true measurement but when I drew out my Mits and measured the same part and got the same measurement it made a believer out of me. I bought the Aldi set for the work bench in the garage because I always had to figure out the last place I used the Mits.

Maybe what it boils down to is name and cost equates to quality.

Boolit Master
    Dad always said, "Buy the best that you can afford." If those are the best you can afford, those are the ones you should buy.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Looks an awful lot like a set I have from Harbor Freight.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

My only gripe about the digital calipers is battery life. I've read time and time again how calipers don't give accurate measurements and a micrometer is the only way to get accurate measurements. The reality is that the Mitutoyo and Starrett micrometers seem to give the same answer as two different dial calipers and a HF digital. The micrometers do have a vernier to read to 1/10,000th but I rarely need that level of precision. OTOH, the half-a-thousandth readout on digitals inspires no confidence since it's still +/- .0005 from the center of the .001 number. I like a digital for OAL and they're plenty accurate for that.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Dad always said, "Buy the best that you can afford." If those are the best you can afford, those are the ones you should buy.

smokeywolf
    When you don't need the very best then you purchase what will work that is cost effective and put the remainder of the money into the next toy you need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    When you don't need the very best then you purchase what will work that is cost effective and put the remainder of the money into the next toy you need.
    It was not my meaning that all available money should be spent on one tool. Projects must be budgeted, to allow for all tools and supplies for that project and indeed for future projects.
    It is a given that, if you have a limited amount of money to accomplish a project and you need a number of tools and supplies, it is just common sense that if you spend all available money on one tool, you have spent more than you could afford.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789