WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To the guy joining the navy

To the guy joining the navy

I found the original post and cannot refind it... Please do not count o n the navy to pay you a fair wage.. Pm me and I will talk as much as I can... did you look at the previous years retention? Or promotion?
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Love Life
    Fair wage? The military pay charts are readily available to make an informed decision. After 10 years I make more than the majority of my buddies who went to college (if they even have jobs anymore) and my benefits are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Fair wage? The military pay charts are readily available to make an informed decision. After 10 years I make more than the majority of my buddies who went to college (if they even have jobs anymore) and my benefits are awesome.
    I was mostly considering officer vs enlisted, vs sub, vs surface. FYI I am a 1st class submarine electrician nuclear trained lpo currently on shore duty. My last sea duty I was LPO because 2 sea returnees could not handle the stress and either Attempted suicide or gave signs that they would do it...
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Love Life
    A lot of suicide going around lately.

A lot of suicide going around lately.
    Yes and it is very unfortunate.... The first of my 2 lpo went "sad" and cut his wrists on watch.... my 2nd tapped out... went to the religious dude and said he couldn't do anymore.... th I s is while my green *** (rhymes with grass) was on my first sea duty. If at all possible I want to help the guy...

Also besides that does he have a family? Are they rooted where they live? There a too many questions to ask in one post but you get the picture.... you can't base it on base pay.... etc...

Love Life

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Also besides that does he have a family? Are they rooted where they live? There a too many questions to ask in one post but you get the picture.... you can't base it on base pay.... etc...
    I have family, my fiancee plans to move with me where ever she can and we have no children. my closest immediate family is 4 hours away from me.

looking at the charts it seems I'd be making more than I do now (barely enough to pay the bills) not taking into account that housing and everything else would be payed for.

I'd prefer a MOS where I could spend minimal time from home and avoid combat if at all possible, but it seems almost impossible without going in as an officer. and I've looked into promotions, and I could start at E-3 with my college credit, but I'm still searching for "the Truth" since it seems every recruiter I speak with is feeding me a line of BS trying to boost their own numbers.

As of right now I am filling out every scholarship application I can get my hands on, and trying to figure out a way to finish a bachelors on my own. but I live in the middle of nowhere and have almost zero job opportunities, and can't afford to move yet.

Thanks for your concern, and I truly appreciate any advice you have.
    I'm not rushing into anything and have never been the type to do so, plus my hands are tied until my current work comp case is done (if it ever will be).

Love Life
    You may not fare well in the Navy.

The God's honest truth is that the military is enlisting YOU!! Not your fiance, not your dog, etc. The military gives orders, and you either whip out your straw and suck it up or you get bounced. The military has absolutely no concern for your fiance. Since she is not a dependant she will not be taken into consideration when it comes to issuing orders. Also, as a single junior enlisted squid you'll probably find yourself in the barracks. They will not give you a house, com-rats, or BAH if you are single and in the barracks.
    Last edited by Love Life; 04-03-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wnmGng View Post
    I have family, my fiancee plans to move with me where ever she can and we have no children. my closest immediate family is 4 hours away from me.

looking at the charts it seems I'd be making more than I do now (barely enough to pay the bills) not taking into account that housing and everything else would be payed for.

I'd prefer a MOS where I could spend minimal time from home and avoid combat if at all possible, but it seems almost impossible without going in as an officer. and I've looked into promotions, and I could start at E-3 with my college credit, but I'm still searching for "the Truth" since it seems every recruiter I speak with is feeding me a line of BS trying to boost their own numbers.

As of right now I am filling out every scholarship application I can get my hands on, and trying to figure out a way to finish a bachelors on my own. but I live in the middle of nowhere and have almost zero job opportunities, and can't afford to move yet.

Thanks for your concern, and I truly appreciate any advice you have.
    I'm not rushing into anything and have never been the type to do so, plus my hands are tied until my current work comp case is done (if it ever will be).
    Minimal time away from home and avoid combat? Might I suggest the USAF? Many jobs are 9-5 (0700 to 1600), Monday through Friday. If your woman wants to travel with you and live with you, and you want to get BAH and BAS....marry her.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    I found the original post and cannot refind it... Please do not count o n the navy to pay you a fair wage.. Pm me and I will talk as much as I can... did you look at the previous years retention? Or promotion?
    The military pays very well. Those who first enlist do not make enough to raise a family of six, but it is entry level pay and more than fair. They take people in who have very little to offer, train them, clothe them, feed them and house them. After a few years they do pretty well. It only gets better. When my wife retired last year she was making over $70K as an E-8. That brings up retirement pay. You can retire in your 40's and get a check every month until you die. That's fair enough for me.

Banned

"I'd prefer a MOS where I could spend minimal time from home and avoid combat if at all possible, but it seems almost impossible without going in as an officer."

Who told you officers don't deploy and don't have risks? I missed five Christmas Holidays and many more anniversaries, kids birthdays, etc over my career. Spent six months away for Desert Storm in Saudi and Iraq then also spent 2004 and 2009 in Iraq, plus a whole lot of other shorter jaunts here and there. Dodged a lot of mortar rounds and such that would have killed me just as dead as a private. Dunno about the Navy, but in the Army, officers lead. Leading means you're where your troops are and do what they do and live under the conditions they live in.

Boolit Master

If your on a small or a large ship you and everyone aboard from E-1 to the Captain is a potential Target; just ask Commander Kirk Lippold of the US Cole whom I know fairly well.

On the other hand, look at the statistical odds. No matter what service, very few are wounded or killed given a US military force of 1.4 Million active and 851,000 reserves.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Navy tour is usually 6 months out if aboard ship, meaning officers and enlisted will be on board. You will do what you are told and not what you think for yourself. If the Captain of the ship says no liberty, guess what! If you are on GQ you will be on station till it is callled off, oh and no wife or fi. say can help cause they are not there. Live close to familly, get a factory job in your town, Government caresless if you are close to familly.
    Yes I did 4 yrs and I am proud of it, no other organazation or group like it, not even a gang familly. If you can live with being told when to eat when to sleep , how long to go to the head/latreen and what you will wear daily then the military is for you, if not go back to your local factory. Military life is no an easy road, you have gov. regulations , you have civilian reg. and then you have your own life and then you have youand your fi. life. In all you have alot to think about before signing those papers.
    No I do not regret my time in service, just want you to understand you become a number, abody to fill a space that is told what to do. Later after you get some yrs in service things get easier, because you adjust to the military life.
    JMO
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The military pays very well. Those who first enlist do not make enough to raise a family of six, but it is entry level pay and more than fair. They take people in who have very little to offer, train them, clothe them, feed them and house them. After a few years they do pretty well. It only gets better. When my wife retired last year she was making over $70K as an E-8. That brings up retirement pay. You can retire in your 40's and get a check every month until you die. That's fair enough for me.
    I will admit that when I wrote that up last night I had a few tasty beverages, so I was a bit more forward than I should have been. You will make enough to live on as long as you are responsible. If you have a job that has a higher workload, you will be working 80 hours a week, sleeping at work every 3 days (called a duty section), and working from 730 till 4 or 5 every day. It may not seem like a lot at first. Monday, thursday, and Sunday are all duty days for my imaginary week. It still doesn't stop you from working 9 or more hours teusday, wednesday, and friday. Oh, yeah, that is the in port time. On a heavy scheduled unit you may spend about 50% of your time out to sea. So for some people it is just not worth it. If you have the mindset that you will have to be a big boy and work your butt off it will be doable.

Love Life
    Military life isn't for the faint of heart. Well...maybe the Air Force.

I also reenlisted to go to shore duty and will go back to see because I have 3 kids to feed and it is a job I know and know that I can do pretty well on. Only 11 years till retirement right?

Boolit Buddy

Military life isn't for the faint of heart. Well...maybe the Air Force.
    Wow,
    That almost hurts. I miss cruising you guys enlisted club when you go to sea.
    Last edited by Mallard57; 04-03-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Love Life
    Hehehe.

Banned

Many before you supported our familys on enlisted mans pay. I think i did pretty well at 20 years old in the service. I had as much extra money then as i ever did. Go to a base and see how many young people there are driving new cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast