Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionPBcastco
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .690 round ball wad.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fla9-40 View Post
    Hey Longbow do you have a link for these? I did a search on their site and came up with no hits....

Thanks
    Not sure exactly which one Longbow was thinking of, but here's the one pictured above:
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lig...tinfo/072LB12/

Boolit Man
    Ballistic's Products has several wads of various heights that can be used with the 69 cal round ball, if you get a catalog of theirs, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the color pictures. They give excellent service.

Now, what kind of barrels are you fellows getting excellent accuracy with out to 50 yards?

Boolit Grand Master

BPI lists:

- HCD24 (Helix Cushion Driver) in their load data sheet: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hel...info/020HCD24/

- GBP LB12 in their slug manual: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lig...tinfo/072LB12/ (this one is the brush wad so just a cup with no full length petals ~ I never looked before)

Ajay and a few others say those brush wads work pretty well but I have not tried them. I may have to order some but first I have to finish my rifled choke tube.

Longbow

PS:

ackleyman ~ I am using cylinder bore single shot for most of my shooting and my Browning BPS with I/C choke slug/buck barrel. With good loads both perform well. Missionary5155 does well using factory rounds opened up then a 0.685" ball dropped into the shotcup.

I find the 0.678" ball is a pretty much perfect fit for many standard shotcups. 0.662" is a bit small but can be patched with paper or cloth to suit and shoots very well. Alternately 0.735" ball naked over a had card wad column has shot very well for me from both smoothbore and rifled guns.
    Last edited by longbow; 04-14-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added PS

I like to hunt here in Texas with a bow. They bleed like a stuck pig....

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

Longbow

PS:

I find the 0.678" ball is a pretty much perfect fit for many standard shotcups. 0.662" is a bit small but can be patched with paper or cloth to suit and shoots very well. Alternately 0.735" ball naked over a had card wad column has shot very well for me from both smoothbore and rifled guns.
    I ordered a 4C .680 mold from a company I bought my 00 Buck mold from. I'll get it today, will let you know how it shots!
    It Is Intuitively Obvious To The Most Casual Observer With The Least Amount Of Experience

My Feedback
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=Fla9-40

Hello, they have a guy that speaks english there!!! you can write in english. One problem is that the shipping cost would be more then the wads (500 wads -- 12 euros)

Boolit Mold
    Their back!!!

Attention Lee .690 round ball lovers, finally they're back! about 2 weeks ago I spent two days emailing back and forth with the ballistics products trying to talk them into doing a run of their "122ct2 1/4 felt donut wads" for those of you that have never used the donut wad and arent familiar with them they're the perfect answer to the 690 round ball. It's a special one they make for law enforcement and military loads, 1/4in thick high-density felt with a .230 hole through the center that acts as a cradle both cushioning and keeping the 690 round ball centered down the bore. I love to use these with the cheap claybuster wad found locally (petals removed) roll crimped, these are the best answer for using the cheap lee round ball mold.

I'll try to get a pic uploaded later.

Boolit Bub
    Kinda expensive. I think making donut wads by punching/drilling the holes yourself would save $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    Hi Tony,

Looks similar to this one:Attachment 101254

They appear to both be made by Gualandi, but I've never seen the version you showed for sale in the US.

Is that one I showed ever used in Italy for roundball?
    I've had very good results with this wad and .690 round ball, also with buck and ball loads. I cheat though, I use an old Ithaca Deer Slayer smooth bore barrel on my M-37 which is straight bored at .700" rather than the traditional .729-.730" of most 12ga. slug barrels.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TonyfromItaly View Post
    Hello, they have a guy that speaks english there!!! you can write in english. One problem is that the shipping cost would be more then the wads (500 wads -- 12 euros)
    Would a group buy make things more reasonable? I'd try 500 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Would a group buy make things more reasonable? I'd try 500 myself.
    If you guys can organize a group buy, i am sure you will be happy with the wads. I still have 200 of the original ones made by gualandi in the 80's. If someone could contact Balistic Products, and they order a huge quantity, then they would be available for all. By the way, these wads are excellent for bird shot as well, for long range shooting.

In Remembrance

In addition to the felt donut wads, they also have hard plastic donut gas seals:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/HB1...tinfo/072HB12/
    i cant imagine they are good gas seals since they have a big hole in them. What are they for?

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

The BPI website lists them as wad bases, then have a line reading "Special purpose gas seal and base wad". They won't work as a gas seal, but employed between the powder gas seal and the payload will take up some space and likely provide some cushioning effect. They do look like they are meant to be employed with roundballs or slugs. I believe I'll be trying some of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for reminding me of those wads! I had been planning to order some to try as attached wads for Brenneke style slugs and totally forgot.

Also, they do look like the just might work for round ball too. Certainly worth a try.

Not sure of their intended "special purpose" but if I can center them in a jig over slugs then attach them they should be ideal "Brenneke" base wads, then plastic gas seal and whatever card wads are required for correct wad column height. Whether that works or not some will wind up under some round balls too ~ 0.662", 0.678" and 0.690" for sure.

Longbow

In Remembrance

Pls let us know what you creatively come up with for these: I have a bag of each, felt and plastic, and so far havent been able to find a use for them.
    Originally, i thought of cutting a bunch of the plastic ones in half, and using them to guide a long, thin projectile in "discarding sabot" style. but that was a comedy of errors.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master

My intent is to use these on the bases of hollow base slugs... probably from home made moulds. In this case they would need to be full bore slugs.

If lined up in a jig then hollow base filled with epoxy or hot melt glue through the hole in the wad I can attach one or tow of these to make a Brenneke style slug.

For more general public use, it would be better for most people if the Lee Drive Key slug could be used but the problem there is that they are tapers so hard to line up in a jig (I have tried). Solutions to that are run the slugs through a "sizer" to make them cylindrical or make tapered jigs that fit the slug. Aaaahhhh, and I guess for this exercise, they would not be suitable because lee slugs are not bore size. If these wads are available in 16 or 20 ga. then they would work as a wad style Brenneke.

Anyway, my intended use is for attached wads. I still want to finish my rifled choke tube but in all honesty if I can get decent 100 yard accuracy from a smoothbore that is what I want.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I use the 690 RB with most any petal type 12ga wad. I have a short piece of 12ga barrel I cut off a 28" barrel to get a 21" cyl bore barrel. I have a wood dowel that I tape in the stub so I can push the wads in the end and have them stop so I can cut them off with a razor blade at the right length so the petals will almost go to the middle of the ball with the ball setting on the inside of the wad. Cut just right and the wad centers the ball and is just barely below the ball center line. It's been working pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12