Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 700-x

Boolit Buddy

700-x

I hope this stuff shoots better than it meters! I had to weigh every charge and throw at least half back. I've had good luck learning new powders with this shortage we're in. You use what you can get. I've learned to look for Red Dot, Clay Dot, and HP38. If powder wasn't so short this stuff might end up in the garden.

It's an excellent shotgun powder and produces good .45 acp loads. I haven't had a real problem with it metering myself, but it's not one of my mainstay handgun powders either. Of the other powders you've listed, HP38 is the same powder as Winchester 231, and is an outstanding handgun powder.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I ordered some 700-X because it was what was available but they sent me 800-X by mistake. Powder granules the size of pie plates. Doesn't meter well, like you I am back to weighing each charge. Got 8 pounds, if I get my preferable powders back in inventory I will probably have the 800-X on the shelf for a long time.

Boolit Bub
    700X is a great powder. It likes a baffle in your powder measure it help it settle for more accurate throws. What powder measure are you running?

Boolit Master

Gripe, gripe,gripe!!!!! Set it for a light charge, and use a powder trickler. Shoot, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. If you want mass produced boolits, buy commercial.

Side by Side test

Try a side by side test for accuracy. Dropped charges vs weighed. Maybe (2) 12-15 round groups at your chosen distance. There is a good chance you won't find much of a difference, even out to 50 yards.

When I set my powder measure I drop 3-5 charges in the pan, then weigh it and divide. If the powder drops inconsistently for low and mid range pistol loads, I don't want to know, the proof is on the target.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

I have had very good results with 700X in both the .38 Special and .45ACP. 800X is also a good powder for heavier loads. Both meter poorly, but are good.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Well I guess I'll later in the week, I picked up a pound of 800x yesterday and a pound of CFE Pistol. Was all that was available for Pistol. Good price if it works.

While IMR 800X is an excellent powder for giving high velocities with low pressures, it meters like cornflakes. The frustration level with 800X is what keeps it from being more popular than it is. It works, but takes extra effort.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

This is what I do for large flaked powders, first give it a squirt of powdered graphite , shake well, second is place a tumbler on the bench & polish/clean some brass.

GP
    GP100man

My Little Dandy seems to handle it well.

You could ask if they will trade it for some hp38 or titegroup
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master

I weigh almost every charge, and as such I find that 700-x and 800-x are AWESOME powders for what I do with them. I have learned to dip either of them using a Lee dipper in such a way that I can usually dump an exact charge into the scale pan, confirm it, then dump it into the case, and with plinking-level loads I often only weigh every other charge.

But I can see why it would either would be horrible for use with a measure.

Boolit Master

I`m with dbosman.
    Since I was given 15# of 700X I needed to figure how to get to meter.
    I finally got a Little Dandy and it meters quite well with it.....dale

Love Life
    800X is the bee's knees minus the fact that it is a jar of flying saucers.