Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 462560 Copy

Banned

462560 Copy

I had a gent on here be kind enough to send me a sample bullet from this old Lyman mold, I made up a copy and would like to see some interest. Basically it is a BIG 311440. As designed it WILL NOT feed through a Marlin 1895, I can make one shorter and lighter or make this one shorter in the nose to keep weight. What does the group have to say about this mold?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    These molds were basically to be used for the heavy 45 calibers, of which there are many. I had a member send me his mold quite some years ago and cast several up along with drawing it up. The problem with it is it rattles around in the throats of the 458 Win Mags I've tried it in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    These molds were basically to be used for the heavy 45 calibers, of which there are many. I had a member send me his mold quite some years ago and cast several up along with drawing it up. The problem with it is it rattles around in the throats of the 458 Win Mags I've tried it in.
    Even with it dropping .461 and having a tapered nose from .450 up to .452?

Yep......... Slug several 458 Win Mag throats and see what you've got to do with them. Most cast boolits serve well as paper patched boolits in them without sizing before patching.

Banned

Well, we will have to go with what is shown, I do jot have any 458 Wins or Lotts to slug

Boolit Master
    I have that mold in a factory hollow point. I do shoot it in a Marlin by crimping on the bore ride section for the correct OAL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I have that mold in a factory hollow point. I do shoot it in a Marlin by crimping on the bore ride section for the correct OAL.
    This will not have ill effects on tube fed recoil? If so great, I do not need to draw another design up.

Boolit Master
    No not a problem the way I load it. The crimp holds the bullet from backing out of the case and I use a powder that allows a 100% load density so the bullet can not be pushed into the case.

Galena Guru

I have a factory four cav solid nose , they rock sweet , Bullshop's HP is sweet as well

this is in a Lott/Win Mag tho'
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

I traded mine away for a nice RCBS 45-300 mould

after researching, I felt the nose (which IIRC, was around 0.448) and my handis' bores run 0.4555 or so...

one around 0.462 with a 0.456 nose would be usable...
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned

Wow, I need to slug my 45-70, I was under the impression that 45 cals were .450 bore.

Attachment 101172

hers is my lyman 311440 next to a 375 version and a 454 version. all three shoot great. them flat noses pack a wallop.

Banned

I think I will shorten this honker to a 400 gr boolit for better use in the 45-70 leverguns

Boolit Master
    I sold some of the HP version to a guy in Texas. He is using them in a Sharps rifle for shooting Nilgi or something like that. He said they are really big and really tough and that he has never seen anything drop them like the Sharps loaded with these big 550gn hollow points.
    The boolits were cast in clip on WW and air cooled. All the ones I shot and recovered had the nose broken into three equal size pieces and the rest of the base half remaining solid. I recovered several and every one was the same.

I'd be up for it. Any chance of doing this one as a plain base?? A gas check woundn't be needed for what I'm doing with them.

I've used these boolits in a Marlin and I really like them. I even went so far as to trim back a few cases so I could seat and crimp them properly and still have them cycle.

.....and that huge nose poking out looks really cool!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Banned

I love that pic, and yeah PB is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    I think I will shorten this honker to a 400 gr boolit for better use in the 45-70 leverguns
    Awww... come on now. This boolit comes up now and again as a want by the folks here. The problem is just what gun do you make it for. We have A LOT of 45-70 designs, but hardly any for 45s with more capacity than the 45-70. IIRC (and it's been quite a long time since that), the smallest throat (which is a long funnel shape in the 458 WM) was about 0.463" with a couple, how shall we say, much larger. Except for the GC shank, you could match body/nose sizes to be orbited for both.

Boolit Master
    If any of you have the older Lyman cast bullet hand books you will notice that in the pic of the 458 Win mag it is loaded with this bullet, just saying.

Boolit Master

This is what it looks like with a HP conversion by Erik, and loaded to an OAL that works in my 1895 Cowboy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Awww... come on now. This boolit comes up now and again as a want by the folks here. The problem is just what gun do you make it for. We have A LOT of 45-70 designs, but hardly any for 45s with more capacity than the 45-70. IIRC (and it's been quite a long time since that), the smallest throat (which is a long funnel shape in the 458 WM) was about 0.463" with a couple, how shall we say, much larger. Except for the GC shank, you could match body/nose sizes to be orbited for both.
    I guess I could have the cherry cut small and then ream the molds to proper spec, offer a .460 and .465 version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast