Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Vintage Cedar Strip Canoe Build in pic

Fantasy Vintage Cedar Strip Canoe Build in pic

Barbie and fantasize building a couple of these in our shop. They would crack and split in three months in this dry state of Nevada though.
    They would have to be up built up north. Nothing wrong with dreaming.
    I can just picture us cruising down an OR or WA river wearing Filson Buffalo Plaid Jackets and wool bibs, Russell Mocassin Boots with our canvas wall tents and two of our 1886 Winchester 45-70's.
    Life preservers of course.
    Can anyone add canoe pics?

This one is made from White Cedar. I would only have access to Red Cedar.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/c...d/otca_16.html

Top one is a SOLID FRAME
    Bottom two are TAKE DOWNS

This young fella is not me by the way.
    I have the outfit though.
    Very Vintage as how I like it
    Russell makes some fine boots. A bit over price but nice.

Last edited by Just Duke; 04-04-2014 at 01:12 AM.

These would be fun do build and a no brainer that's for sure.

Wanigans
    http://www.islandnet.com/~canoes/wanigan.htm

Last edited by Just Duke; 04-01-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Here's the boat and price. http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/c...d/otca_16.html $7999.00 plus tax. OUCH!!! See why I'm building a couple?
    Last edited by Just Duke; 04-01-2014 at 07:16 AM.

HHHMMMM. Got me thinking about floating things again.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    HHHMMMM. Got me thinking about floating things again.
    I figured you'd like this Jeff. I can talk you through this one. What's Skype?
    Does NZ have Cedar or any other straight grained open cell wood about?

On Heaven's Range

We used canvas-covered cedar-strip canoes very extensively in northern Canada. Since so much of the country is extremely rocky, it took great care to avoid leak-causing damage to the canvas covering.... even an abrasion to the paint on the canvas could cause a leak. Patching kits were essential. Canvas, glue and paint were included in the kit.

In the winter months , some of our exploration-department time was spent in replacing the canvas on those of our canoes that needed such attention.

An old (60s?) Indian gent named Sam Otto taught me how to do that job, and it's NOT exactly simple. We had about a dozen company-owned canoes, all canvas-covered cedar, from about seventeen feet to twenty-six feet. All were freighter designs of one type or another except a couple of paddlers that could be flown out on Cessna 180/185 and similar-sized aircraft for short-term projects in the bush.

A 25-HP kicker on the big canoes could really make them move, even with a ton or two of load aboard!

Anyway, I learned the art of re-covering well enough that I successfully re-canvassed a couple of my own canoes in later years.

Canoes are remarkable craft. With an absolute minimum of commotion or effort, they can transport large loads over long distances. Unlike what "everyone knows", they are very safe and seaworthy boats... IF the users know what they're doing.

A six-horse Evinrude on my 18-foot freighter would troll for about a week's worth of fishing on one 5-gallon tank of gas. That one full tank, plus a 5-gallon jerry can, could push the canoe for hundreds of miles, if need be...at fifteen miles per hour! Whipped the daylights out of paddling, which lost its charm when WORK (and the perspective of a few more years) entered the picture.

I sure enjoyed my years in canoes, and this thread has re-awakened some cherished memories.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

That was a great story and thanks for sharing Bruce.
    The fantasy build would covered with real fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.

Also options.
    http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Abrasion.htm

Banned
    Duke,

Think 12' flat bottom boat with a 18 hp evinrude motor on it. Cheap, functional and easy to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Duke,

Think 12' flat bottom boat with a 18 hp evinrude motor on it. Cheap, functional and easy to obtain.
    Hey man but the canoe is an aesthetic vintage anachronism. Get it?

Banned
    It requires one to paddle to move it. Just too much work.

Boolit Buddy
    That would be one sweet ride.
    Domari Nolo

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    It requires one to paddle to move it. Just too much work.
    No problem I would sitting behind you paddling also.

I put this up here out of boredom. I sprained my wrist a couple days ago and need to recover in case anyone is wondering.

Boolit Master
    I have always thought it would be fun to make a cedar strip canoe, but never got around it. In my case, I would have to make a trailer, too, as my truck is a short bed. I had a 17ft aluminum canoe, that I eventually sold. It just sat in my yard, 'cause I couldn't transport it.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I have always thought it would be fun to make a cedar strip canoe, but never got around it. In my case, I would have to make a trailer, too, as my truck is a short bed. I had a 17ft aluminum canoe, that I eventually sold. It just sat in my yard, 'cause I couldn't transport it.
    A ladder rack would work perfect. Yuppies back east haul these on ski racks on the top of their cars

Boolit Master

You take up some really neat projects. I don't have the talent. One of my 'dreams' when I got back from Vietnam was to go to my uncle's farm in Waynesboro, Va, get one of his canoes, and come downriver to my home in Front Royal. But, soon as I got out of the service and returned home, my pop made me got to work (one days rest). then I got married and had to be the responsible breadwinner. It's still in the back of my mind; you reminded me of it. Nice dream. I enjoy your posts. mikey

Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    You take up some really neat projects. I don't have the talent. One of my 'dreams' when I got back from Vietnam was to go to my uncle's farm in Waynesboro, Va, get one of his canoes, and come downriver to my home in Front Royal. But, soon as I got out of the service and returned home, my pop made me got to work (one days rest). then I got married and had to be the responsible breadwinner. It's still in the back of my mind; you reminded me of it. Nice dream. I enjoy your posts. mikey
    Mike everyone has talent. You have talent. This is 500 year old technology.

Waaaaayyyy back in the '70's the price of scrap metal spiked pretty hard. I was at a yard sale and there was a ratty old canoe with lots of brass fittings and put together with copper nails, most of the canvas haning in shards, capitalism running in my veins I thought I'd buy it for the $5 asking price, bring it home and burn it, rake out the scrap and turn a tidy profit. When I got home I ripped off the remaining canvas to find the hull intact save for one hole about 1"X2". So I cut a dutchman to go into it, slathered it up with my first fiberglass job, and used it until some old timer pointed out that it was a very early Oldtown. Still hanging in the barn, I'd no idea that they sold for that much.....

PS- If you're in the PNW Port Orford Cedar is a good option too.

PPS- A great read, although hard to find- Canoeing with the Cree- Erik Sevareid (yeah, the news guy)
    Last edited by beezapilot; 04-01-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Attachment 101109Attachment 101110Attachment 101111
    We have built them of both spruce, and cedar. Longest one was a 32' freighter canoe. They are surprisingly durable. We took the freighter through some rapids the locals told us no canoe had ever survived. We shipped some water, but no damage.
    The big ones are stable enough, a 300# member stood on the gunwale, and bounced up and down. He couldn't come anywhere near tipping it over.
    For night camp, we would roll them on the side, stretch canvas over them, using the paddles for poles, and have a large shelter for sleeping.
    Last edited by waksupi; 04-01-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Cedar strip boats are a thing of beauty. Especially when they have been sealed in epoxy then about 10 coats of spar urethane over it.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast