Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: .375 Neck For 7.62x54R?

.375 Neck For 7.62x54R?

Anyone necking up the 7.62x54R to .375?

Looking at possibly using shortened .375H&H dies and use the 54R case.
    But, was sorta wondering if anyone is already using a .375 x 54R and could speak to how the sizing up in neck diameter has worked out.

Somebody is bound to scratch their head over the idea so to satisfy the curious, it's a possibly solution to relining a 9.5 black powder cartridge rifle. Use a .375 liner and rechamber by partially inserting a .375H&H reamer.

Boolit Master
    One of the members on the nitro express forum did a 9.5x54r on a moisin nagant and probably cornered the market on Lapua and Sako ammunition in this caliber. What rifle are you doing the work on?. Sounds interesting. Frank

I believe it would work fine. I have two rifles I built on a somewhat similar idea. I shortened the sizing die of a 375 back just above where the belt was and run a 45-100 ( 2.6") case thru it and it becomes a 2.625 rimmed copy of the 375 H&H without the belt.
    The first rifle was a H&R handi rifle so I named the cartridge the 375 H&R.
    The second rifle was a Greener Martini Police Gun ( 14 ga. ) that I rebarreled to the same cartridge.
    The 375 H&H has a lot of taper to the body and the 7.62 X 54 is about .010 smaller at the base than the brass I used so it would be a shorter cartridge probably just right for your idea.

I would take the sizing die and cut the bottom back until the ID was about .487 at the bottom.
    Expand the neck of your brass in a couple of steps before you run the 375 die over it and it should be pretty close. depending on the quality of the brass you use you may need to anneal the necks .

Jedman

In Remembrance

We went a step further and expanded the neck to .416 cal. We modified a set of .41 mag dies and 7.62 Russ. dies for our die set. Good luck with your endevor.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    One of the members on the nitro express forum did a 9.5x54r on a moisin nagant and probably cornered the market on Lapua and Sako ammunition in this caliber. What rifle are you doing the work on?. Sounds interesting. Frank
    It's this rascal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.5x52.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	186461
    It's a 9.5x52.
    To put a new bore in it would be finding a 9.5 liner and then having a reamer made to fit the reloading dies.
    The 54R rim would fit the extractor and the case volume would be a little less.

Boolit Master
    try track of the wolf as they sell TJ's liners for just about any cartridge. You probably would need the largest one they sell. Get one with either 14 or 16" twist. Depending on how big in diameter the back end of the liner is it may or may not be big enough. then you most likely would have to keep the original 7.62x54r chamber and expand the case for .375 diameter bullets with the liner installed. Or send off the barreled action to JESand have him rebore the rifle to 375 and possibly get a proper throat. Best if you get him on the phone and see whay he has to say. Frank