WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Vintage Cedar Strip Canoe Build in pic

http://nor-west.ca/en/our-canoes/

Quote Originally Posted by owlsroost View Post
    Looks like a Nor-West to me. I have a 2004 20 footer and it is a great boat. I went to their shop just 45 min. North of Montreal to get mine. Its a family operation and they make about 200 a year. They are also known as the "Inuit Pickup" because the bulk of their sales are to the Inuit tribe. They make them from 14 to 26 footers at 2 foot increments. Very stable craft of course. I guide out of mine and it will accommodate two fishermen very nicely. It drafts nothing and is rated for a 35 hp motor.
    Here is a picture of my 20 footer on the Upper Magalloway with two of my clients. For those familiar with the Magalloway this is Landing Pool and we started in Parmachenee Lake.

[/URL]

^ that is the ticket right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    ^ that is the ticket right there.
    That's what I'm talking about. And how I'd planed spending my golden years.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 04-11-2014 at 04:44 PM.

I surely wouldn't be wearing chest waders in a canoe.

Banned
    I'd be wearing water wings myself.

On Heaven's Range

Damn straight about the chest waders! The belts do help, but better not to wear the waders at all.

When we first started learning canoeing as kids, age seven or eight, the"old guys" were at pains to teach us the risks and solutions. One deathless axiom was, "Prepare to get WET" Whether it was spray from white water or wave action, or drips from paddles, or rain, or even from complete dunkings when the canoe somehow rolled over.... we got wet, just as advertised.

We often dumped the canoes on purpose, rolling them over when empty of anything valuable, just so we could practice righting them, emptying them FROM OUTSIDE the craft, and then climbing back in without tipping them over again. If one knows how, it's not too difficult.... but we also learned to TIE the bailing can to the canoe!

Good times, great country.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Looks like the pic was taken in the wonderful state of Na-hemp-cha. No Lhab-sta trapping there though.

My Orvis catalogs came a few days ago.

Boolit Master
    Plans for the laker are in Gill Gilpatricks book, Building a strip canoe. http://www.amazon.com/Building-Strip.../dp/0899333494
    I have a copy, and it is a great book on the subject. Another option is a strip dingy that can be built from 12 to 16 feet. I have a set of these plans, and they are well done. I also have the plans for the fisherman. Never got around to building them before I found some historical records of the Rapid Roberts drift boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krause-8.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	102134

rapid roberts
    http://www.montana-riverboats.com/ph...ead.php?3,7591

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Plans for the laker are in Gill Gilpatricks book, Building a strip canoe. http://www.amazon.com/Building-Strip.../dp/0899333494
    I have a copy, and it is a great book on the subject. Another option is a strip dingy that can be built from 12 to 16 feet. I have a set of these plans, and they are well done. I also have the plans for the fisherman. Never got around to building them before I found some historical records of the Rapid Roberts drift boat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krause-8.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	102134

rapid roberts
    http://www.montana-riverboats.com/ph...ead.php?3,7591

Drift boats are great for fishing. That's a nice looking boat in the pic. Thanks for sharing.

This Bandsaw mill would keep me in plenty of Cedar strips.

Last edited by Just Duke; 10-19-2015 at 06:05 PM.

I just got a call from my neighbor in WA and asked him to pull a diameter measurement off the average Cedar on my place.
    After viewing my Doyle Stick I figure there's enough Cedar to build enough canoes for the Amish/Mennonite Navy.
    <boatswain's whistle> "Weigh anchor Jodle and hoist the sails on the mizzen mast! Ya Ya!"
    Last edited by Just Duke; 04-18-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Not a canoe, but cedar strip nonetheless. I built this one a few years back, took me two winters to finish it off. I've had it on one camping trip in Lake Superior and several day trips around Lake Michigan and other inland lakes. It's primarily white cedar, with red cedar accent strips and combing, and black cherry inlay just for fun. Sad thing is, we are moving to Arizona and I just put it up for sale because it won't get much use there.

Attachment 102730
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well if you are getting into other boat types, here is a locally built boat. Lots of wood boats on the lake in the summer.

Attachment 102731
    Attachment 102732
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Not a canoe, but cedar strip nonetheless. I built this one a few years back, took me two winters to finish it off. I've had it on one camping trip in Lake Superior and several day trips around Lake Michigan and other inland lakes. It's primarily white cedar, with red cedar accent strips and combing, and black cherry inlay just for fun. Sad thing is, we are moving to Arizona and I just put it up for sale because it won't get much use there.

Attachment 102730
    You might want try the Rio Salado River in AZ before you sell it first.

A 40% greater modulus of rupture (strength/hardness) without heat and or moisture from kiln treating and up to 15% greater modulus of elasticity

Boolit Master
    Duke. I'm going through plans now. Trying to decide on what to build. I want an all around canoe. Thinking of getting the bear mountain prospector plans. I'll post up more when I'm settled on a final design.

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    Duke. I'm going through plans now. Trying to decide on what to build. I want an all around canoe. Thinking of getting the bear mountain prospector plans. I'll post up more when I'm settled on a final design.
    That's great news. Do you have a link to the bear mountain prospector plans?
    Can you post pics here of your build?

Boolit Master
    http://www.bearmountainboats.com/pla...040&id=8201318

Debating between the 15 and 16. I will def keep this thread going. Probably going to be in the winter when I get the project in full swing. On a quest for the right planks. I want a canoe that is mostly the dark red cedar, so getting the right boards might be an exercise in futility. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    http://www.bearmountainboats.com/pla...040&id=8201318

Debating between the 15 and 16. I will def keep this thread going. Probably going to be in the winter when I get the project in full swing. On a quest for the right planks. I want a canoe that is mostly the dark red cedar, so getting the right boards might be an exercise in futility. We will see.

Did you decide?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast