WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Advice on scale for lead alloy mixing

Advice on scale for lead alloy mixing

I think I need a scale suitable for weighing lead and other materials when creating a casting alloy. Working with the Excel lead alloy calculator need to weigh stuff so figured I needed a scale.

Don't want to spend a high $$$ amount, if there is one that can use batteries that might be a plus so I could carry it along for when trying to decide if pewter I'm thinking of buying has enough weight to be worth the price.

Most of my material will be solder bars/wire or Lee ingots or muffing cups of lead so probably do not need really high capacity, figure I can always measure in batches and total the batches if I'm doing a large pot.

Any suggestions on brand/models and price, amazon or store link would be great. I can search for it if you can identify a good choice.

Boolit Master
    I just got this one from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

It's now on sale for $18.99 and then I had a 25% off coupon....so I paid, like nothing. Max capacity is 11 pounds which works out fine.
    It is more than accurate enough.

Boolit Master
    I have multiple scales gotten at Second Hand Stores. There are the small ones that weigh food portions, less then 16oz. Then there are the larger ones that go to 10lbs. Most are a buck to 3 or 4$. Kevin

Boolit Master
    I use a kitchen scale that measures LB, OZ and GM. I convert to grams when adding small amounts like tin. Handles about 12#.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I just got this one from Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

It's now on sale for $18.99 and then I had a 25% off coupon....so I paid, like nothing. Max capacity is 11 pounds which works out fine.
    It is more than accurate enough.
    I use this one almost every day! Great scale and it is on sale. Grab it!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

while not what you are looking for I have been using a 25 lb baby scale for years. Lets me put together large amounts of Pb, Sb and Sn.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

I bought a food scale too it goes to 11-12 pounds and is close enough to weigh out alloy mixes.
    a quarter ounce of lino or bees wax isn't gonna make that big of a deal.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a food scale that goes to 5 pounds. Measures in ounces or grams.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Cabela's digital fishing scale. Use a pie pan with small chain for hanging (3 points around pan). Measures pounds and ounces, and close enough for alloy mixing...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I got a cheap digital postal scale off ebay.
    It goes up to 35 lbs and measures to the tenth of an ounce.
    It cost less than $20.

Jack

Thanks for the suggestions. Picked up the 11 lb. model at Harbor Freight for $19. Stopped by Wal Mart on way home and picked up a 2 liter pop, weighed it at the Deli 4.7 lbs. Set up scale when I got home same 2 liter weighed 4.735 lbs. so out of the box scale looks accurate.

Nice to know how heavy that Babbitt ingot or cupcake ingot of scrap pewter weighs. And that the bag of hard shot from scrap dealer was 7 lbs.

I will keep an eye out for a used baby scale, ability to weigh something as heavy as a coffee can of lead accurately would be useful if I can find it cheaply used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep your eyes open for an old Hanson scale, they made a bunch of different types. I have my Grandpa's old kitchen type that has a 25 lb capacity tha the used when he was selling butter. No idea how old it is, but Dad said it was not new when he was a kid growing up in the 40's and 50's.

I also have one that is for measuring hanging weights up to 100 lbs that I gave three dollars for at an auction. I mostly weigh spoonbill and other large fish on it, but anything you can hang by a wire or cord is fair game.

Calibrated? Not in the last 60-70 years, but they get close enough.

Robert

Boolit Master
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accuteck-S-8...item33744a9a05

Thats the one I bought from ebay. Under 20$ shipped and pretty accurate too. Pretty easy to take with to buy smaller amount of lead also!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have used a cheap bathroom scale (non digital) when smelting higher weights up to 200lbs.

Boolit Master
    I use a Myweigh Ultraship 55. Accurate to .1 ounce and 55 lb capacity. Battery or wall wart powered.

Moderator Emeritus

I use a 5 pound digital kitchen scale I found at WalMart. I do smaller batches so it is easy to work with it. Need a 20 pound batch I weigh 4 times.