MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Making a bullet slug for a mosin

Boolit Bub

Making a bullet slug for a mosin

My goal tomorrow is to take a good piece of 3" cube oak and make a slug mold. I guess I would drill two holes about the size of a 3" nail all the way through with a drill press. Then rotate it and cut perpendicular to those holes at the half way part all the way through. Lube up some nails and join the two halves. Then take a 5/16 bit and drill a 1" deep hole on the cut.
    I guess I would char it with a torch, maybe add a dusting of granite Lube, char to heat it and join the two pieces with nails in the alignment holes.
    Pour some pure stick on weights or I have some very soft lead from an x-ray shield. Spoon it it. Let it sit and pop it apart.
    I have seen the case part so slug a case and... Bam?

WAIT
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    says that at any decent shop I can buy some 1/8" sinkers and just flatten it a bit, then use a few 6" dowels to skip the whole slug mold making process. I guess This will be much safer as well.
    Last edited by Docjames; 04-01-2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: New Method added

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a lot of work, and wood always has moisture in it. Lead and water don't mix. I would just get the sinkers.

Boolit Master

If you have a 30 cal mold, any mold will do, just cast a few boolits out of pure lead or SOWW. Once cool put the boolits lengthwise in a vise and slowly squeeze until they have a diameter of .318 or so. Then slug your barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    And please use a metal rod to drive them through your barrel. If the wood dowels split you will have a lot of trouble getting them out of the bore without damage.

There is a thread in the gunsmithing section about this.

Robert

Try this link before slugging your barrel with wooden dowels. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-from-a-barrel

R
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 04-01-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Master

I take a non reloadable casing that fits the gun to be slugged and fill it up into the neck with lead. Insert any near sized bullet in the small cup of the neck that wasn't filled, chamber combo. Pound down with a rod until the neck and throat are full of lead. Open bolt and tap out. Pound downs are more accurate than time sensitive cerrosafe.

Boolit Bub
    I ended up just mic'ing the crown and doin a bullet test, trying to jam a bullet in the barrel compared to a new wasr-10 and I was saticefide that it was good to go. Barrel was a bit dark, and cleaning it with remoil and a boresnake didnt help much. After checking it all out and making sure the firing pin wasn't out of spec (it was 2.30mm which is less that the 2.42mm max, I have since lowered it to 1.95mm) I pumped out 20 rounds without a problem at all. It was probably the most fun to shoot out of the dozens of rifles I have had the chance to handle. It screams authority for sure. I was banned from my friends house, the woman of the house said it was rattling the glassware. I think we were 100+ yards away after the first test fire. Fun guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Docjames View Post
    I ended up just mic'ing the crown and doin a bullet test, trying to jam a bullet in the barrel compared to a new wasr-10 and I was saticefide that it was good to go. Barrel was a bit dark, and cleaning it with remoil and a boresnake didnt help much. After checking it all out and making sure the firing pin wasn't out of spec (it was 2.30mm which is less that the 2.42mm max, I have since lowered it to 1.95mm) I out 20 rounds without a problem at all. It was probably the most fun to shoot out of the dozens of rifles I have had the chance to handle. It screams authority for sure. I was banned from my friends house, the woman of the house said it was rattling the glassware. I think we were 100+ yards away after the first test fire. Fun guns.
    Yep I enjoy mine too, very accurate (mines Tula ex-sniper..). They're a lot if fun wrapped in a piece of history for under $150.

What is a "wasr-10"?

I believe "WASR-10" = AK

I have a pair of Mosin's, and love the heck out of them. I'm still working on the accuracy part. Hoping for better success by increasing my sizing die from .311 to .312 or bigger.

As to the window rattling noise, 25 to 30 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 150 - 185 gr boolit will help a lot.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    They end up a little short for a slug but Ive slugged several 30cal bores using just O Buckshot .320 very easy thing to do. GP

I like petroid's idea!

Boolit Grand Master

A metal rod close to bore size works good but I usually use a smaller brass one and wrap masking tape on it to keep it centered in the bore.

It can take some work to get the bore of an old Mosin clean. The purple soap sold at Walmart as Purple Power and a good bore brush help alot. I pour the PP in a coffee can and stick the muzzle in it and pump the brush up and down.

These old guns are fun, at least with reduced loads, and can be very accurate. I removed the rear sight and rear sight base and mounted a pistol scope in 22 rings on the reverse dovetail machined on the barrel.

I used soft black powder revolver balls.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    A metal rod close to bore size works good but I usually use a smaller brass one and wrap masking tape on it to keep it centered in the bore.

It can take some work to get the bore of an old Mosin clean. The purple soap sold at Walmart as Purple Power and a good bore brush help alot. I pour the PP in a coffee can and stick the muzzle in it and pump the brush up and down.

These old guns are fun, at least with reduced loads, and can be very accurate. I removed the rear sight and rear sight base and mounted a pistol scope in 22 rings on the reverse dovetail machined on the barrel.
    If you look on Ebay you can find solid brass rod...1 foot long and 1/4" diameter..it comes in 6 pieces to the package...not too pricy...makes a perfect rod to do the slugging with (and I agree...no wooden dowel..big potential problems)...wrap the brass rod with tape and tap the sinker in one piece at a time...I've slugged several and it works great....put a soft towel or rag in the action where the slug drops out so it doesn't get deformed or dented...lube the bore with oil and grease up the sinker after you have sort of deformed it...don't use a steel hammer or you can damage the crown...I used a brass hammer and also have used a plastic mallet.

The best thing I've found for cleaning a Mosin is Smith and Wesson bore gel (not the aerosol but the 4 oz gel...let it soak for an hour or so...won't harm a thing..then I use a stainless steel tornado brush (soft and folded over bristles...I have no fear on a mosin barrel...would not use one on a high dollar barrel) and it's amazing what comes out..do it over a can or box that can't be hurt or leak....the local Mosin group came up with the S/W gel and it's amazing.

Boolit Master
    Next order at Midway or such place, get a few boxes of BP round balls various sizes. Will last a long time. Useful for checking Lee sizing dies as well. If you don't want to cover all bore sizes buy a diameter a little small. A gentle thump with a 32 oz. hammer will widen them out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116...ProductFinding
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the round soft lead balls. I don't believe there is any advantage in a long bearing surface. If you have 1/8 inch that runs thru the bore, you have plenty to measure. I have used balls that were .10 inch oversize. If not much oversize, I will rap it flush with the muzzle with a plastic mallet, or if quite a bit over I have a small brass bar and drive the ball flush with a hammer. Once almost flush, I use a brass punch as close to bore size as possible. You end up with a thin donut cut off. Because you have a smaller baring surface than a bullet or tubular slug, it drives thru much easier.

Of the many lubes I have tried for slugging, I find Mobil 1 works the best. I also mix it with about three parts 99% iso alcohol in a small spray bottle and use it for case sizing lube. It works better than any of the currently available spray sizing lubes I have found.

Jackpine