WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 296 and its uses

Winchester 296 and its uses

You know how you start musing over things as you are sizing a bucket of bullets?

Well,I have a large amount of 296 and can get more very cheaply. I am in the UK and current exchange rate gives $14 a pound tub! Thats a bargain where ever you are.

The only thing I can immediately use it in is 44 and 41 mag in the Marlins. Dont really need a thumper load as I am only shooting paper out to 50 yards.

I do have an 1893 Marlin in 32-40 and see W296 listed for that so will have to give that a go.

So,what else could I use this in? I am looking at getting one of the AIA enfields in 7.62x39. If its ok in 32-40 why not in this one as well?

Also have 303,7.5 swiss,45-70,snider,MHenry,310 cadet and a few more oldies.

I would welcome any suggestions preferably based on fact and experience!

Regards,

Tony

Be very, very selective in your usage. WW296 is primarily a magnum pistol powder. It has certain applications in the hornet and other smallish rifle cartridges. If you don't see any current data on a particular case, I would avoid them. You can contact Hodgdon's for more clarification if needed. It is a very touchy powder that does not allow reduced loadings at all. Best burn charteristics and accuracy come at near max loadings. Period.

Boolit Master

410 Shotgun. I loaded a lot 296 in 410 for my granddaughters to shoot when they were growing up.

Yes there is load data for 296 and 410 shotgun
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

I have found it works well in reduced handgun cartridges and smaller rifle rounds, by using fillers. For example I shoot a 7.62X39 CZ bolt gun using 40% 296 and 60% Cream 'o' wheat, lightly compressed by seating the bullet. In my 44 mag it's 50-50. By using fillers you can boost the pressures enough to get a clean burn. The above post is correct though, don't reduce full charges of it without fillers, it doesn't burn properly and you will have velocity variations all over the place.
    It will work OK in a 32-40 if the rifle can take the pressure, but I wouldn't use it in a case much bigger than that. If you don't know about using fillers I'd just stay away, as you can get hurt if you don't know what is about to happen when you pull the trigger. Never go above 40% powder unless it is in a very small case like the 32-20, and only in a strong gun design. This stuff will build some pressure quickly!

Boolit Master

.30 carbine ? Have always heard 296 was near identiacal to H110.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have heard for years that 296 and H110 were the same powder. I use them both for Magnum nloads in the 44 mag
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

W296 is more than similar, it IS H110. It is the same powder (but from different lots) but relabeled. It was originally created for Winchester .410 shotgun factory ammo, but found use in 30 Carbine and magnum pistol loads. It is the factory powder for Winchester 357, 41 and 44 magnums.

As mentioned, it should NOT be reduced. Use loads exactly as printed in Winchester/Hodgdon manuals. Reduced charges can produce hangfires, misfires or catastrophic high pressure gun failure.

Personally, using reduced charges of it with fillers scares the bejeezus out of me. I wouldn't EVER try it.
    Last edited by Rocky Raab; 03-24-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

I use 296 for heavy loads in the 357 Mag and 44 Mag. My 22 Hornets really likes 296-H110with light bullets. I have a Ruger #3 and a 10" Contender. I use small pistol primers.---dale

In Remembrance

296 is right beside SR4759 on the burning rate charts. I have used 16.1 grns. successfully with all weights CB's in .303 Brit, .30-06, 7x57mm, etc. WLR primers.

It is my MAX measure-dropped load for Hornady 100 gr. SJ with CCI 500's in .32-20 CONTENDER.

YMMV.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Being next to another powder on a chart means nothing. There might be none or a large gap in burn rates between the two.

It is also very unwise to assume a spherical powder shares characteristics with an extruded powder. One of those characteristics that differs most is the suitability for reduced loads with variable powder placement and/or airspace within the cartridge. Extruded and flake powders are quite tolerant of those conditions; sphericals are known to not be tolerant of them. Among sphericals, W296/H110 is perhaps the least tolerant of low load density and airspace.

In Remembrance

I agree with all that you say, RR. (Been loading since '48, before there WAS ball powder available.) I merely posted my experience with 296, with cautions.

Nonetheless, for ME in MY rifles with MY boolits the only difference I have observed is that SR4759 takes up more space for the same weight of charge. I on occasion use 296 as a SUBSTITUTE, and it has worked well for ME.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Look at the Winchester loading pamphlet's. They are very specific about the uses of 296, especially loading under recommended charge weights. I've used 296 for a lot of things, but always sticking to the Winchester recommendations. After all, they made the powder.

Quite a number of years ago it was popular, in some circles, to use 296 in the same manner as 4198, 4227, 4759, etc in the larger (308 Win, etc) cases and cast bullets. Pretty soon a lot of undesirable things started happening to rifles, none of it good. I'll stick with Winchesters recommendations.

Lets all err on the side of caution here guys. I'd hate to see anyone hurt or a good rifle destroyed.

Cheers,

Phil

Great in the Hornet as mentioned and in the .32-20 with top end loads.

And, yes, it IS H110. Both made in the same factory. Now that Hodgdon are THE powder company you should expect to see either 296 or 110 disappear.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    The Sierra handgun reloading manual lists 296 for the 30 herrett with bullets ranging from 110 to 150 grains. The 7.62 x 39 is very similar in case capacity.

The powder that became H110, was originally developed for the .30 Carbine military load. Then Hodgdon bought it as surplus, labelled it "H110" and put it on the open market as a .410 and magnum revolver powder. It was quickly learned that H110 could give higher velocities than 2400, and was cheaper to boot, and H110 started selling quite well (this was a few years after the .44 Magnum was introduced). Winchester realized that they were really missing out on all this "magnumitis" and started that product line back up, first calling the powder Winchester 295. There were some issues with guns coming unglued with reduced loads of 295, so Winchester dropped 295, "re-formulated" the powder and introduced 296, with new load data and warnings about not reducing 296 powder charges.

What is H110/Winchester 296 good for? The history pretty much covers it -- .30 Carbine, magnum handgun, and .410....it's also good for small rifle cases like .22 Hornet, etc.
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in my full power magnum days, I loaded .357 magnums with it. I loaded .30 carbine with it also. If you're into heavy recoil, muzzle blast and fireballs, with your .357, this is the powder to do it with.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    It's also useful when dissolved with acetone in a 20:80 ratio as a binder for pyrotechnic compositions that should not be bound with water and such things as dextrin or starches. Dragon's egg granules and ammonium perchlorate/magnalium based strobe stars in particular.

Anyone got specific loading data for the .22 Hornet and 7.62x39? I've got a spare 8lb. jug of it out in the magazine we are not needing for pyrotechnic manufacturing.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    I used it in the Hornet with 40 grain bullets. 10.8 grains gets a bit over 2800 fps corrected. It shoots very well but the SD's are horrible. Then again, at Hornet ranges that doesn't matter. I've tried both WW and RP brass and if you go over 10.8 grains the primer pockets open up very quickly. At 10.8 the cases last forever. This was the same in three guns, two CZ and one Ruger. Also tried both rifle and pistol primers and never could tell a difference in accuracy or much of a difference in velocity or SD.

Cheers.

Phil

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    14grs of 296 & the GB C358-180Rf make for a great combo in my Smith M686, 1 inch & under off the bags at 25 yards.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    Phil, are you shooting cast or j-word 40 grainers at 2800 fps in the Hornet???
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast