RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: .22 accuracy tests (ammunition).

Boolit Master

They didn't test Wolf Match? But they did test some that I never even heard of.
    Cognitive Dissident

I believe Wolf and SK are the same stuff.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Heck with the ammo, I'd love to have a Bleiker rifle.

Saw one at the National Metric Small Bore Matches last summer
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

funny how Lapua Midas Plus was almost the best at 25y and 100y but way down the list with a terrible (o.k not terrible) .535"group at 75y.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Buddy
    Good to see the 2 that I use are up the list.
    CCI std seem to shoot better than anything else at the same price point in every gun I try them in.
    Lapua centre-X seems to be the best balance of cost V accuracy, half the price of the top of the line ammo and nearly the same performance.

Sure would like to know details. Chamber dimensions of the rifle. Headspace of the rifle? Lot numbers of the ammunition? Was the ammunition shot straight from the box? What was the weight mean and variance of the samples shot? (Not to mention runout and rim thickness means and variances.)
    Cognitive Dissident

What? No Remington Thunderduds?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Sure would like to know details.
    If you click on the article it gives some detail. He doesn't mention any special weight sorting etc. He did comment that they could see no effect as far as the different lubes were concerned. All were shot in an air conditioned 100 yd indoor tunnel in the UAE.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I thought most of you guys would be very happy to see such an extensive test as this. However some think it is very lacking for one reason are the other.
    Maybe you guys should get together in a controlled inviroment with your .22 rifles and demonstrate what you are displeased with. That should certaintly disprove any of there findings and provide all the rest of us with your wisdom in shooting better.
    I found the test to be EXTREMELY informative and will use such valuable information as it was intended to be used.
    Everyone have a nice day.

Sorry, I didn't think anyone really criticized the test, it is very extensive and someone went to a lot of work to do it.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

sbowers
    changeling, me being a dedicated 22 rimfire bench rest shooter would like to thank you for the really good information that you have brought to this forum and maybe some of the other 22 bench shooter will get as much good info from it as I have,
    Thanks
    Steve

Boolit Master

I read an article about Eley some time back. The 10-X was made on the newest manufacturing machine. The ammo at the begining of a run was immediately rejected as 10-X. The run was monitored and test rounds fired during the run to insure that an accuracy standard was maintained. If there was a problem the ammo was sold under one of the other grades.
    Several other machines cranked out ammo. According to test firing it was divided into the various grades/labels. There are some labels that have different velocities and are manufactured accordingly.
    The lowest grade Eley Sport was made in Mexico by a contractor with permission to use the Eley proprietary priming method. Eley spins the case when the primer compound is applied and the centrifugal force slings the priming compound out to the rim of the case evenly.
    The Russians and the high grade Federal used the center dimpled case to allow the primer compound to flow out to the rim.
    With the buy outs and mergers of ammo manufacturers, what may be true today may not be six months from now. The combining of Federal and CCI companies made for some strange marketing/manufacturing products in the 22LR.
    I believe SK-Jagd makes grades of ammo with different diameter bullets so that the bullet can be fitted to the rifle bore.
    The old saying with rimfire ammo is that if you find an ammo that shoots well in your firearm buy as much of that lot as you can.

Boolit Master
    Very informative Changeling..Thanks. I have a custom BSA 12/15 match rifle. 30" 1" dia. at muzzle. brl. stamped in small neat letters: H.M. Pope. stamped under forend are all his markings as well as March 1930. Tested at 50yds with every brand of match and std. velocity I could get my hands on. Eley Tenex will not chamber..as well as CCI Green Tag. All others show deep rifling engraving when fully chambered..chamber is very close and Eley goes in with very snug push fit. Interestingly..only Eley is fully ejected when action opened..kind of like BSA designed action around this classic British ammo? Anyway, the very best 50yd. groups were with Lapua Midas+ these grouped right around .300"..I only had a circa 1930-40 Lyman Jr. Target 10X mounted in scope blks. The Eley Match EPS didn't quite shoot up to the Lapua. However, moving back to 100yds...the Eley EPS clearly outshot the Lapua..groups were around 1/2" to 5/8"...Interesting!

Thanks for posting - it always amazes me what a 22LR will prefer - I have a Colt 1911 conversion that loved Montgomery Ward generic (that was back in the day - eh - anyone remember them) was really sorry when I couldn't get it any more. I used Green Tag CCI when I was shooting bullseye with my High Standard Victor but Federal Champion in the Ruger 678G - Rifle wise my Romanian 1969 training actually prefers the heavily greased Russian ammo over american made stuff.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Thanks for posting - it always amazes me what a 22LR will prefer - I have a Colt 1911 conversion that loved Montgomery Ward generic (that was back in the day - eh - anyone remember them) was really sorry when I couldn't get it any more. I used Green Tag CCI when I was shooting bullseye with my High Standard Victor but Federal Champion in the Ruger 678G - Rifle wise my Romanian 1969 training actually prefers the heavily greased Russian ammo over american made stuff.
    Hi Artful, man you are so right! I've tried to get that across to people for a long time that every .22 (usually commercial ones) is a tool unto itself, meaning you do not know what the heck it will shoot really well till you try them, but people just look at me like I'm nuts, LOL!

I have a 10/22 that with it's stock barrel would put every CCI FP in one hole from a rest, awesome! Then when I couldn't get any more I moved to a custom barrel/trigger/bedding, the whole works, to see if I could find something else that would shoot as good. About that time prices started going through the roof, plus one couldn't find any .22 ammunition.

I found 4 bricks of Winchester Super X, bought them, accuracy OK (some what) but not what I was looking for (consistency problem/flyers). So that is where things are now, and I don't expect it to get better anytime soon. Hopefully after the next Presidental election if people get some sense into there heads!

I love an optimist - I have bricks ahead but I'm using it sparingly now. Good news is I'm enjoying some of my centerfires more.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."