Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to buy Electronic ear muff, Help please!

Boolit Buddy
    I've several of different makes, peltor I think was the best. Cheap ones are so so but the next one I get will be on the the higher end and as stated as thin as I can get. Most important is to get one that turns it self off. Seems like all mine need batteries every time I pick one up and that's almost every day.

Vendor Sponsor

I have the Peltor Tac 7's have had the Peltor 6 model , Caldwell and game ears.. The Tac 7's are the best of the bunch by a wide margin..
    dual (stereo) control so you know where the noise is coming from..and the ability to turn one side higher or lower than the other is a big plus
    It clamps any loud noise but does not affect those under the ceiling.. Great for range commands or just talking while shooting
    if used for hunting wind will cause some issues
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Over the years I've had three sets of electronic hearing protectors. All were cutoff types. The first had a very long recovery time. By very long, it's hard to measure without sophisticated instrumentation but I would guess close to 1/2 second. That may not sound like much but you can miss a lot in that much time, like the time I had a squib, thought it was a dud and my buddy was hollering "don't shoot again" while I was racking another round into the chamber.

After trying a friend's Howard Leight Impact Sport ear muffs, I bought two sets for myself and SWMBO. They allow communication while hunting with the lightest whisper, cut off instantly and recover fast enough for me to hear a bullet hit a pig at 100 yards. They're under $60 at Midway and on sale frequently for under $50. I would say that the response time of them is as good as a friend's $300 ear muffs were 6 years ago. Electronics have come a long way in that short time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/671...ProductFinding

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the Leight Impact Sport muffs. All the RO's at a local range have been wearing them for years but I waited until I finally wore out my Peltor (non-electronic) muffs. Wish I hadn't waited, really like the Leights.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I was hesitant to buy these because there was such a range of prices for muffs with similar ratings. My wife found a pair at Harbor Freight for $14! I also have hearing loss and tinnitus. I normally wear two hearing aides. I can hear as well as with the $3,000 digital hearing aid, yet they cut loud noises down to comfortable levels.

The $14 muffs are great. I've worn them to the range and when blowing snow, but haven't had to mow lawn yet. I'm very happy with them and doubt I'll ever buy any more expensive ones.

Boolit Master
    I think that they will be two different opinions on the muffs due to the shooters use. A person that shoots handguns the size of the muffs cups means nothing verses a person who mainly shoots rifles and shotguns where the ear cup hits the comb of the stock. I mostly shoot rifles and the scalloped cut on the bottom of the Walker Game Ears helps a lot vs. my other ear muffs that interferes with my stock weld.

Banned

peltors for me

Banned
    I also use the peltor muffs and still have several pairs of the fold up units.

Boolit Grand Master

I cover the bottom half of the ear cups with mole skin. Being a stock crawler and smaller build thinner face my muffs hit the stocks on rifles the mole skin helps to prevent the cups from scratching the stocks. Its a simple easy thing to do to protect and isnt overly expensive to do. I like the fact with the electronics I can hear my spotters calls and more important whats going on on the range also.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a set of the Midway Muffs which I got on sale for $14.95 10 years ago. They work just fine and I use them nearly everytime I shoot in a place where earplugs are not ideal like when needing to hear range commands.

I have changed the batteries on these muffs twice in 10 years both times because I left them turned on. they use regular AA's.

These muffs are a lot of bang for the buck. If you decide that you want to spend more money on some nicer ones, that really aren't that much different then you can always use the Caldwell's as back ups or for people who come with you to shoot.

I think they are $19.95 most of the time, and they have a regular model and a low profile model as well.

I'd say try these first before you go out and spend a bunch on something you might not like.

Sometimes an incremental approach to shopping is the best way to go.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-20-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com