WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed for longer range 38-55.

Boolit Grand Master

Re-read Excess650's post, Mike. Looks like he had good luck with FFFg.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks TXGN I missed that post by Excess60. The more times I try 3F in applications where for years 2F was the perscription I am pleased with the results.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Thanks TXGN I missed that post by Excess60. The more times I try 3F in applications where for years 2F was the perscription I am pleased with the results.
    Mike in Peru
    You're welcome. Do you think your experience is due to different brands or formulations of powder or some other factor? I'm still toying with the idea of assembling some "38-55" loads for my 375 Winchester. I'm thinking I'll need all the velocity I can get to be able to use the existing sights.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I had a baby step toward success. I picked up a Saeco 65571. This is a 300grain instead of the 336 I was using and is a round nose/flat point. It basically looks like my old bullet that somebody cut the nose off flat. I'd call it a semi wadcutter except there is a slight roundness to the cone. I was a bit worried because the grease grooves look small, and I was unable to lube the top one in my current sizer setup, but they didn't cause any problems. I may try a cookie later. Group size was a tad better than my old bullet at 300 yards. Velocity was about 25FPS higher. I still need to walk up my load a few grains to see what that does. My next 600 yard match is a ways off so it will be a bit before I get a real test.

Simon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12