WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Flying Bullets

Flying Bullets

Got an RCBS luber/sizer. When up stroke complete the bullet flies out of the sizing die and falls to the floor. What's with that?

Boolit Master

Too much pressure, if nothing is wrong, put a bucket in the area that they land.

Semper Fi

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

Sounds like air is getting trapped under the boolit base during sizing, being compressed and launching your slug. Are your lube grooves well filled?

Mark

For Nueces: Roger that.

Banned

best way to fill a lubesizer to keep the air out is to melt your lube and pour it in and let it sit up a bit before sizeing

Boolit Master

I've had that happen. Trapped air from pockets when you put lube in the sizer and it got trapped. In a few strokes, it vents and goes away. They do have a pretty good velocity though. One knocked a pretty good knot on my finger once./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    You may need to do a little tweaking with the cross bar and the knurled knob that adjusts pushing the bullet out of the die. That would be on the 3rd and 4th page of the instructions. You aren't the first to have this happen!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Well Top,
    Sounds like you accidently got a sizer for mortar rounds.

In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    This thread reminds me of the time I was doing some sperminting with paper patched boolits with a lee sizer and I didn't have the die screwed down quite far enough for the first boolit to clear the sizing chamber I started the next boolit into the die and POW my first boolit bounced off the ceiling, i did a couple more with the same result before i realized what was happening, I am sure glad I wasn't standing over it, that paper and lube makes a real good air tight seal when going from .318 to .308.

Good luck

Wish my lyman would eject the bullet after lubing it one less step

Boolit Master

Using a nose first sizing rig you normally get self ejections and a slight pop if you leave one bullet in the die. That's close tolerance./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

In Remebrance

Those boolits are aware that NOTHING in the world is quite so fearsome as a dressing down by a United States Marine Corps Master Sergeant. I can only assume they are attempting to avoid same by leaping out of the sizer rather than causing you the aggravation of having to pluck them from the sizer. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Cpl Bret USMC 79-83

Boolit Mold
    Sounds to me like you need a son that can come down (once in a while) and do your bullet casting for you! Hey Dad, the snow is get pretty bad down here, so I not real sure if I can make it down on Wednesday. I'll try. Tell Mom that I love here and I'll get her jeep back to as soon as I can. For everyone information, MSGTUSMC is my DAD! He has tought me everything I know, and just so happens to be my BEST friend! Even if he was a Marine! Yeah, I'm former Army RECON!

Boolit Master
    Wasn't real sure on the really your dad part till "I'll get her jeep back as soon as I can" no question about it now!

O.K. BambiBuster25-06. Thanks for the info. I don't think they like us sending messages this way. Next time E-mail, O.K. Try to make it through the snow. Your mom needs her combat boots. They're in the back seat next to her two spare magazines for her M-16.

Boolit Master
    MSgtUSMC,

Another helpful hint: Put the tube of lube in, start plunger cap on, then turn on the heater, or heat the lubrisizer to soften the lube, before jacking the pressure screw. This allows the lube to flow easier. Cold hard lube doesn't want to flow, and will create air pockets, as you have seen the results.

Pouring the melted lube works best, but remember indirect slow heat is best.

Have Fun Shooting,
    Jon
    Col 2:13-17

The bullets have stopped flying. Probably was trapped air as Nuecec and Beagle said. Next fill I will do as Jon K and Llyod Smale said and use heat. Thanks guys.

Gung Ho!