RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingADvertise hereRepackboxWideners

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Something I learned last weekend, about temp

Boolit Mold

Question about Frosting

The timing on this post is way off as it looks like the last post was a couple of years ago. I'm going to ask anyway just in case someone is still looking this over. You certainly can get bad info from a lot of sources, but I was taught that frosting meant the boolit was too hot and that it would shatter on impact when shot. Now I'm seeing this post that the boolit should be frosted. Of course that causes me to ask....if the boolit is frosted will it maintain its integrity when it hits the target? I understand this also has to do with how much antimony is in the mix as I understand too much will also make the boolit fragment. Anyone still around that can set me straight on this?
    You can get much further with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone. Al Capone

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwlegal View Post
    The timing on this post is way off as it looks like the last post was a couple of years ago. I'm going to ask anyway just in case someone is still looking this over. You certainly can get bad info from a lot of sources, but I was taught that frosting meant the boolit was too hot and that it would shatter on impact when shot. Now I'm seeing this post that the boolit should be frosted. Of course that causes me to ask....if the boolit is frosted will it maintain its integrity when it hits the target? I understand this also has to do with how much antimony is in the mix as I understand too much will also make the boolit fragment. Anyone still around that can set me straight on this?
    Frosting happens when both your mold and alloy temp are fairly high when casting. It has nothing to do with hardness/brittleness. It will affect size/weight, though.
    Hardness is a result of alloy and time and boolits really only become brittle when VERY hard - you might be able to get this with pure linotype? Maybe pure monotype?
    WWG1WGA

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678