RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Corbin ProSwage R dies

Boolit Mold

Corbin ProSwage R dies

Greetings all.

I would like to swage .32 lead HBWC for use in target a pistol.
    I have done a lot of reading on the net but besides Corbin and Cast Boolits there is not a lot of info on swage lead projectiles.
    There is a lot of info on swaging jacketed bullets. I understand the process that I would like to do is just like core forming with a different nose and base punches.

So has anyone used Corbin's R series dies?

Are there other manufactures I could look at that do dies that will fit standard reloading press that would produce HBWC using pure lead?

Thanks

Regards,

Spaceball

Boolit Buddy
    Swage- IT makes them they are located in New Jersey and BT Sniper on this site makes die's as well. You can swage lead with jacketed dies as well just use a little larger core. You would have to buy a core mould and a set of dies with your choice of nose punches.
    Inequality is to try to make Unequal things Equal Aristotle

Boolit Buddy

If all you are intending to do with the dies is swage soft lead, non jacketed bullets, this can be done in one die. The core swage (squirt) die will be finished bullet diameter, base and nose punch to your specs ( flat base, hollow base, flat nose, SWC flat or round nose). Adjustment of the punch in relationship to the die can allow different weights to be made from the single die. 32 caliber with soft lead uses low enough pressures that a sturdy reloading press could handle the operation, or you could step up in presses and dies as your wallet will allow.
    If casting cores is not an option you can go with soft lead wire (from Corbin or Rotometals) and a wire cutter.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the info.
    Soft lead is all I would be swaging. Not a whole lot of info out there or manufactures.
    I like the price of the ProSwage R dies but limitation of not have bleed holes in the die body means a two process to swage the bullet.
    Need to use a special bleed punch to set the weight of the core first then change the punch to form the base.
    Might investigate a dedicated swaging press like a WH and dies.
    Freight to Australia will be a killer.

Here is something to try on your smooth-sided bullets: Get a Corbin bullet knurling tool and a spray can or bottle of dry teflon lubricant. Knurl the bullets, heat with a heat gun and give them a dose of teflon lube. That and a cardboard base wad works wonders with my 357 Herrett.

Boolit Buddy
    I hard cast a couple of different styles of 45 caliber bullets, then run them through my round nose point forming die to get the nose shape that works best in my pistol with the benefit of removing possible air bubbles and making them more perfectly round. Grease grooves are also somewhat preserved or a liquid jacket type lube can be applied. I even use a hollow pointing punch to create a hollow base round nose. This is with Corbin dies. Works good!