Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 300 BLK and 308 WIN Mold Needed

Boolit Buddy

300 BLK and 308 WIN Mold Needed

I currently shoot a Savage Model 12 heavy barrel with 1/10 twist. Shoots Hornady 178gr match bullets great. I use 41.5gr of Varget. Any suggestions for a non-tumble lube mold that would work with both calibers? If needed, I'd use gas checks.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I'll give it a try. I was hoping for something g heavier but 160gr should work in my savage.

Boolit Master

I've used the Lyman 31141 in both cartridges.
    It is a gc boolit.

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Excess650- is that a tumble lube bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have the 300BLK yet. My 308 is bolt action. When I do buy the 300BLK, I was thinking AR would be a good choice over bolt and something different.

Boolit Master

There is currently a group buy for a 6 cavity 235gr boolit that can be had with or without gascheck (or 3x3) for $125+shipping. Designed to feed well in 300AAC BO AR's, might feed in the 308. I know similar length boolits feed fine in my 30-06 bolt Savage.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 309-170 FP shoots great out of my 300 BLK carbine, and I know it would work fine for .308, too. It's an option for ya.

Boolit Buddy
    What powder does one use to reload with then?

Boolit Master

Looks like I'm following the herd on this one. I got the Lee 312-155 mold when I was looking for a .300blk mold. It's done pretty well for me. Since I had the mold, I started to use it for .30-06 and .308 as well.

I've been using regular lube (Speed Green then Tac 1) so far, but I have some coated in Hi-Tek to test when I get time.

As far as powder, Lil Gun has been my go-to in the .300blk. For .308 plinkers, I like "The Load" of Red Dot.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    What powder does one use to reload with then?
    Reloader #7, 296, 4895 have all worked well for me in 300 BLK.
    As I recall, 15.4 gr. of RL#7 will cycle my carbine under that boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by timtonya View Post
    I don't have the 300BLK yet. My 308 is bolt action. When I do buy the 300BLK, I was thinking AR would be a good choice over bolt and something different.
    I have used the Lee C309-180-R in the .300 and was able to get it to feed somewhat reliably in my Wilson barrel AR. Had to run it shorter than I would have thought, 2.110" IIRC...I would not recommend trying to make subsonic loads with this boolit.

I also made some loads up with the C309-200-R. I was not able to get reliable feeding with this in my gun. The nose is too long to be as blunt as it is. I had a few hang up on the feedramps, got some double feeds and found out a few were getting set back. Fun to cast and my mold makes longitudinal lines on the boolit that look neat. For $20 what the heck, and it might work in your .308 but I would not recommend it for AR.

I just cast some "247gr" NOE with a brand new mold. They look excellent and were designed for the purpose, with a more tapered ogive. I believe it can be had in a GC design as well as the PB that I bought. You can also get it with a HP cavity, which I bought and am glad. It should work fine in your .308 as well. Mold looks great and it showed up on the third business day. After 400+ boolits cast, the mold looks better and has less scratches than my Lee molds after half that. I WILL buy another mold from NOE.