RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucket potty

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Bucket potty

The primitive campground on the wildlife management area where I will camp from now on requires removal of human waste, so I bought a Cabelas commode seat for a 5-gallon bucket. I plan to use regular tall kitchen trash bags in it. My question is: my sister and my niece are going on my next trip, so how will those trash bags handle human liquid waste, i.e., urine?

My thinking is: (1) two bags for an extra margin of safety; (2) take a sack of kitty litter.

Boolit Master
    I think the kitty litter is a good idea, just dump some in, and it should absorb the liquid. I'm not a fan of Walmart, but their generic kitty litter is relatively inexpensive, and has a good odor. that's what we use at home for our cats and we had 3 of them at one time.

Boolit Master

You might consider some paper diapers or adult urine material instead of the heavy kitty litter.
    Gun control is not about guns.

What about taking the trash bag out, peeing in the bucket, and ten dumping it behind a tree? Or even having a second bucket, and just swap the lid around.

Boolit Master

Something similar is used around here as a composting toilet. Sawdust, peatmoss are the two typical items added to the mix, first before first use, then to cover after each use. It helps keep things like flies away, and absorbs the extra fluids, and does surprisingly well at keeping odors down. Either can be had at places like Tractor supply, peatmoss should be available about anywhere that has garden supplies.

Boolit Buddy

Years ago when I was flying to AZ. for my sisters wedding I was looking in the bookstore at the airport where I had a 3 hour layover. Found a book titled "How to $hit in the Woods". Now, being a country boy I just had to buy this and read the information pointed at the "city folk" who never had to "go" in the woods. Amusing at times, the book actually had quite a bit of useful information. I would suggest double bagging the bucket, with a bit of cat litter to absorb the liquid wastes. If odor is a problem I would throw either some charcoal from a cold fire or a handfull of baking soda.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-08-How-...item48621c25b5
    Last edited by Zymurgy50; 03-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

I'd be taking along a resealable drum for the waste bags. Or a pin.

Boolit Buddy

Definite NO on the resealabe drum!!!! Solid wastes contain bacteria that will continue to (ferment?) (consume?) materials in the wastes, creating gasses in the process. I personally would not want to be "in range" when that bomb goes off.....
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    Definite NO on the resealabe drum!!!! Solid wastes contain bacteria that will continue to (ferment?) (consume?) materials in the wastes, creating gasses in the process. I personally would not want to be "in range" when that bomb goes off.....
    I doubt it would create enough pressure to blow...I have a bucket of rotten meat here somewhere with just a plastic lid and it's never come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    Years ago when I was flying to AZ. for my sisters wedding I was looking in the bookstore at the airport where I had a 3 hour layover. Found a book titled "How to $hit in the Woods". Now, being a country boy I just had to buy this and read the information pointed at the "city folk" who never had to "go" in the woods. Amusing at times, the book actually had quite a bit of useful information. I would suggest double bagging the bucket, with a bit of cat litter to absorb the liquid wastes. If odor is a problem I would throw either some charcoal from a cold fire or a handfull of baking soda.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-08-How-...item48621c25b5
    Only $5.98 including shipping! I bought one. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Another option is to just take a cheap bag of potting soil and put a layer of it down before you use the "5g commode" and another layer after each use. I think that the cheapest potting soil is cheaper than the cheapest kitty litter.

Boolit Master
    Bumper dumper. Would be a nice addition to any of these ideas lol. Not connected to them. Just thought it would be a nice tie in

Forgot to mention: I'll put the bucket commode inside a Cabelas shower/outhouse tent. It's only two miles to a dumpster, so I'll tie up the bags and leave them in the bucket for a dumpster trip. Then I'll just tip the bucket contents into the dumpster. It won't matter if the bucket is heavy, so cat litter looks like the plan. Plus, I can keep the cat litter sack inside the little tent with a dipper in it.

Potting soil or peat moss won't be absorbent enough. The female family, i.e., the two women, will be there only two nights and one full day so that's not a lot of urine. The male family, three guys, can pee behind trees and trucks.
    Last edited by Junior1942; 03-28-2014 at 05:32 PM.

What a PITA!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    What a PITA!
    I agree 100%. But the alternative to forcing campers to use a potty bucket, etc., is little brown & white piles all around the camping area during busy times. And flies, lots of flies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    I agree 100%. But the alternative to forcing campers to use a potty bucket, etc., is little brown & white piles all around the camping area during busy times. And flies, lots of flies.
    There's this new invention -- it's called a "shovel". Works pretty good for creating latrines also.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    There's this new invention -- it's called a "shovel". Works pretty good for creating latrines also.

That would get you several tickets on a wildlife management area.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    That would get you several tickets on a wildlife management area.
    You can't dig a hole to bury your waste? The paper is biodegradable along with the "waste". Seems kind of ridiculous that they would prohibit that but allow for plastic bagged "waste" to be deposited in their dumpster.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post
    Bumper dumper. Would be a nice addition to any of these ideas lol. Not connected to them. Just thought it would be a nice tie in
    I have one and its awesome. That and a latrine tool are all I use on most trips. My jeep with the bumper dumper attached is the most popular vehicle in the mornings at our dove camp.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    You can't dig a hole to bury your waste?
    No. You have to take your waste with you when you leave. It's a primitive campground circa 200 yards long x 100 yards wide. It's used year round by campers who mostly fish in the river and creek, and on opening weekends of small game season and deer seasons it's wall-wall campers and tents. That's 100s of campers in a year's time. If each campsite dug a poop hole would you want to walk around the perimeter of the camp area? Circa 2000 I made the mistake of camping there the weekend after the opening day of squirrel season--before the "take your waste with you" regulation. I knew there would be few to no other campers. I was right. I had it all to myself. I also had to look and smell an acre size poop pile and tolerate the subsquent flies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast