Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bucket potty

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    No. You have to take your waste with you when you leave. It's a primitive campground circa 200 yards long x 100 yards wide. It's used year round by campers who mostly fish in the river and creek, and on opening weekends of small game season and deer seasons it's wall-wall campers and tents. That's 100s of campers in a year's time. If each campsite dug a poop hole would you want to walk around the perimeter of the camp area? Circa 2000 I made the mistake of camping there the weekend after the opening day of squirrel season--before the "take your waste with you" regulation. I knew there would be few to no other campers. I was right. I had it all to myself. I also had to look and smell an acre size poop pile and tolerate the subsquent flies.
    OK, when I was thinking "primitive camping", I was thinking a more remote and much larger area.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

That one acre poop pile was 10 to 15 years ago, and it is probably the reasoning behind the take it out regulation. It was gross to the max.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    That one acre poop pile was 10 to 15 years ago, and it is probably the reasoning behind the take it out regulation. It was gross to the max.
    Given the dimensions that you previously quoted, the camping area would have been around 2.75 acres.

Still, I suspect that it would not have been that bad if people had just buried their waste (not in plastic bags). Of course, you're always going to find people who are too lazy to properly bury it, so they end up having to create rules that would inconvenience even the people who knew how to do it correctly.

With respect to the 5g bucket approach though... Just remember, not all of the 5g buckets are strong enough to support the weight of a person.

Moderator Emeritus

One is required on the upper Missouri if you are not at a campground with an outhouse. The bags that came with the one our Boy Scouts use are basically a double zip lock. Urine is fine outside there but feces are not. We try to time things so the bags are not in canoes for all week just a day or two at most.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Personally, I found "Up **** creek" by Joe Lindsey to be a much better read than "How to **** in the woods". You'll learn all about "groovers" and liquid/solid waste methods when leaving no trace is required. As a side note, we always pack a groover when traveling with the kids. It's much easier, convenient, and more sanitary than having to find a bathroom on the road.

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/089815...&robot_redir=1

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

For those who don't Google, "groover" is a cover term used by river rafters for a poop bucket.

Not necessarily pertinent to your situation, but I knew a gal that did something similar, but used biodegradable bags that she could take out and bury. She set up a latrine in a shower tent with a little stick that served as a paper holder. Not too shabby for being several hours by boat from the nearest person...

If allowed, we set up our "thunder box" https://www.snowys.com.au/Portable-T...&sc=36&id=2824 over a dug hole and have found that a sprinkling of lime does a good job of reducing smell and fly infestation.

Wonder what the animals have to do?

If you have to cart out your "Liquid" waste, eg. in Antartica
    Gents will usually have not much trouble with using bottles/
    Ladies can easily do it with a "Lady J" adapter (eg from Cabelas )

Solids can be easily carted out if you use one of these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mca0145__58600.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	101273

Boolit Mold
    Poo in a pile lasts a long time and if it is buried, it stays in a clump for while. In such a small area, it is understandable to take with you. When I was at Camp Fallujah in Iraq I found out why thee were so many flies: the pump trucks discharged the "load" into a huge, uncovered, hole....
    Anyways, Cr*p-Mart (pun intended) sells a bag that is bio-degradeable and has an absorbent gel like stuff in it.

Just use sand in the bucket instead of kitty litter. Sand is plentiful here and free.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gelandangan View Post
    If you have to cart out your "Liquid" waste, eg. in Antartica
    Gents will usually have not much trouble with using bottles/
    Ladies can easily do it with a "Lady J" adapter (eg from Cabelas )

Solids can be easily carted out if you use one of these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mca0145__58600.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	101273

That puppy doesn't hold-up in sand, which can result in a sandy crack.

I don't know about the rest of you gents but our group decided long ago that a $1.00 a time is well worth the price. We have the Pett system and built a small hi-rise solid base for it, so our knees weren't up around our chin. We purchase military surplus bags for $99 per 100 shipping included - sometimes you can find them cheaper. We have a small holder on the solid base for paper & baby wipes and cover those with a plastic bag in case of heavy dew or rain.

When we leave an area - doesn't matter how primitive, nobody will know we ever were there - except some chipmunks are sorry for losing their dinner partners.

Boolit Bub
    I used to dry camp in Baja California several times a year and the first thing wifey packed was a portable, self-contained toilet. Not messy, no smell (use the liquid available in the sporting goods or travel trailer section of wallmart). I used to buy them cheap at garage sales. Just need to prepare in advance.
    Another thing I had was an enclosure for privacy, everyone appreciated that.

Wife & I use the kitty litter & kitchen garbage bags (doubled up)

Boolit Mold
    +1 on sprinkling some lime in the mix and have a heavy duty bag. Is it permissible to urinate in the area? How about suggesting the governing agency bring a porta potty for those high use times. If usage fees are collected, suggest building an outhouse. Kind of defeats the wilderness/primitive camping though. Too bad it's gotten to this point.