Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: prelube before push through sizing

Boolit Bub

prelube before push through sizing

I'm just wondering what people are doing for lube before sizing with a Lee push through. It's time consuming and messy to use lee liquid alox first. I have heard of pledge but I want to know it's compatible with the alox after coat

Boolit Buddy
    I usually just roll them around on my lube pad I use for resizing.

Lee liquid alox works great as a sizing lube. I don't waste time waiting for them to dry. I swish them in LLA and size and put gas checks on the wet boolits. Then swish them again and let them dry. The lube makes the boolits MUCH easier to size.

If you are really lazy, just pre lube one out of three bullets. The lube from one is good enough to stay on the sizer for a couple more push throughs. Really, you should try making up or buying 45/45/10. The bullets are much easier to handle and if you are in a rush, will dry in less than an hour with a fan blowing over them. If these are handgun bullets you are talking about, I'd recommend testing a batch without sizing. Just lube and load.

Boolit Bub
    My lee wad cutters drop at 361 a little bit bigger than I like. I have 45 45 10 also but I haven't tried it yet. I also size gas check 454 300 grain boolits. I pan lube them after sizing and checking. I always wondered if the alox interferes with the check seating

Boolit Bub
    I give mine a squirt with WD40, size, quick towel dry then dip lube.
    It seems to work OK but I'm interested in what others are doing.

Boolit Master

I use dish soap, then an hot soak prior to pan lubing.

Boolit Master

I put them on a towel, drizzle a squirt of EVOO on them, swish around, and size. It only takes a couple of drops for a lot of bullets.

Homemade case lube made from 16 ozs of Iso-Heat (100% methyl-alcohol) and 2-3 tsp's of liquid lanolin purchased from hippie health food store applied with a small pump-spray bottle from a beauty shop supply.

WD-40 is not a good high pressure lube. Don't buy that? Try it out for case sizing lube.

Boolit Master
    I usually end up lapping all my push through sizers anyway and the finish is MUCH better when I'm done. The better finish doesn't 'grab' as I pouch boolits through. I rarely 'prelube' although, my method for pan lubing basically does just that. I pan lube unsized boolits and size them afterwards. All my tumble lube boolits [the ones I actually size to begin with] get sized dry and tumbled after the fact.

Boolit Master
    You have to remember that if you are going to use an alternative coating. PC or HT The bullets have to be cleaned before coating, and that HT does not stick as well when the bullet is sized before coating. Kevin

Boolit Buddy
    I've push through sized a lot of boolits with no lube, they came out just fine. I have sprayed a pan full with WD-40 or Rem Oil, rolled them around and they sized just as well actually couldn't tell the difference.
    Pan lube when I get done.

Boolit Master
    I use dish soap straight from the bottle on a stamp pad, roll & squeeze.
    Only need to do every 3rd one. It dries and its sticky, no lube issues here but I aint
    painting or powder coating

Without loob, I leaded up the Lee push through sizer. With loob, they size much easier.

LLA works fine for me. Dries faster and less sticky when mixed 50/50 with solvent.

Boolit Master

I go in dry. But (big but here), I use the push throughs with gas check bullets only, or bullets that already went through a conventional luber. No leading problems when you have a gas check lip to scrap the die clean on the way through.

Boolit Man
    I hit my batch of bullets with a quick spray of Hornady One Shot case lube, its fast, clean, and works great. This has made sizing so much easier especially on a few bullets that cast a little large. I have also discovered the aerosol can seems to work much better than the pump spray bottle.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if the Lee works differently, but with my old Star, I found that if I applied a very thin coat of Imperial lube to my thumb and forefinger, the tiny bit that was transferred to the bullet when I picked it up was all the lube it needed. One coating on my fingers usually was good for 10 or so.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Looks like I'm the only one that doesn't use lube when I size mine. I tried once but wasn't all that much easier and without it can leave out a step
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Bub
    I'm not crazy about having to wash my bullets after sizing . I thought wd40 was a big no no anywhere near a reloading bench. I guess my concern is that pan lube wouldn't stick to the sizing lube. Nobody is using pledge ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    I thought wd40 was a big no no anywhere near a reloading bench.
    huh? why would you think that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast