Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground Hog

Boolit Master
    I never have lived where groundhogs could be hunted. I try to eat pork sausage every February 2 as it is made of ground hog meat. I would encourage others to join me in celebrating this Uniquely American Holiday. If for some reason you can't eat pork I have declared tofu, turkey, oat meal and tuna fish to be honorary hog meat on February 2.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I have hunted ground hogs in central pa for over 30 years. Killed many whistle pigs. Have not and will not eat a ground hog. Although they make excellent catfish bait, i have yet to recover a ground hog that was not infected with tics. Deal breaker for me. Into hole they go.

Boolit Buddy
    Saw on Bizarre Foods that host said they were delish. Groundhog won the cooking contest he was visiting. Had to try it and was pleasantly surprised. Wife cooked it like a pot roast with potatoes , onions , carrots and what ever else she seasons with.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    They are tasty buggers if you know how to cook them.
    I posted a very good recipe on the forum awhile ago.
    Tradition had it at our house when my son was young: that On Ground Hog Day I cooked up a Chuck that I had in the freezer each year.
    When my son was about 4 I asked him which part he wanted and he said ....The Face!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Back in the middle 70's a friend and I went to southern Ohio and shot groundhogs along the Sciota river at the invitation of a farmer who let us deer hunt the previous fall. He said to kill'em all, and we did our best.
    The shooting was very good and we must have killed close to 200 that weekend.
    That fall we returned to hunt deer and the farmer said that after we left and a few days later, it stunk so bad, him and his wife went to Kentucky to visit his daughter for three days.
    He said to throw them in the river after that.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

We would clean them removing glands and as much fat as possible. soak over night in light salt water. A low fire in the grill and the body on a rotessirre turning slowly we would but onions carrots and taters in the body and sew up with string. A low slow fire with hickory chips for smoke and let it cook most of the day adding hickory chips as needed. At the rght time some sweet corn that was soaking in the husks was added to the grill and barbeque sauce applied to the turning carcus.

Boolit Master
    I shoot them, have skinned them for the hide to tie flies with (older chucks with the grizzled gray tipped hairs). I have used the 22Mag and .223R. They are tough and a poor hit will find them crawling back into their holes. If not skinning them I leave them lie. They are not something I want to eat unless I was very very hungry.

Had a lp record once by R. Harris. The Aussy who had a hit with 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport'. He had s song about eating a groundhog and a group hunting them with their grandpa. Any way, grandpa got left behind and by the time he caught up the groundhog was all cooked and ate. The didn't bother grandpa, he had his jug with him and drank his meal. My 2 cents
    Rob

As like casting machine said I ve shot quite a few over the years and agree . There covered in ticks and all other assorted creepie crawlies . If I was down and out hungry maybe ! But I'm not so they get thrown beside the the fence row .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

As a kid, we had nothing a good deal of the time. One summer my parents had us five kids living in two tents by the river. Yep, we were those people.

We ate lots of them, but only the young small ones, floured and fried in an inch or so of Crisco in a cast iron skillet over a Coleman gas two burner. You never throw out the grease, just add to it when it gets low. We ate what was served and knew no different.

Mostly only Dad pulled the trigger, 22LRs were not to be wasted, not to mention a poorly placed shot meant dinner would vanish into the rocks. I still have that old rifle, with it's copper wire wrapped broken wrist.

Fortunately or unfortunately, my children have only about a year of those strength building memories.

Enough reminiscing, back to the topic at hand. Sorry for the tangential typing. 50 year old memories clearer than yesterdays, maybe Alzheimers is setting in.

Boolit Master

First woodchuck of the season showed up in my yard this morning - I have never seen em out this early here. It's snowing hard today and it looks like were going to get 4 or 5 inches.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Shot my first one this year on March 10. I believe this is the earliest I have ever shot one. Most often it is in June.

Boolit Master

They are classified as survival food in my book. Edible, but why would I eat it when we have chicken!
    I have whacked seven this year if you want some. Caliber of choice 204 ruger.

In Remembrance

Buddy of mine took a really large `chuck that was undermining his barn drive floor. He got a reciepe from his Grand Mother on how to prep the `chuck. Part of the reciepe was to par boil for a certain amount of time before going further. He was then to pan fry until browned. Then put on a BBQ for 2 hours +/- until done. He said that `chuck was tough as nails and indeed had a `strange` texture and flavor. He put it out for his dogs and even they wouldn`t eat it.Robert

My "Granny" would soak them in water in the fridge for 24 hours changing it out once or twice. She would then "barbecue" them. That involved slow roasting in the oven with salt pepper and vinegar. She cooked raccoon the same way. I never turned down anything she put on the table. She was known to cook a muskrat that way too now that I think about it. If it swam, crawled, walked or flew we ate it. After saying grace of course.
    SPJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12