Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modification to 358318 HP Mold

Boolit Grand Master

Modification to 358318 HP Mold

Some of you gave your opinions on my interest in modifying the HP pin on my 358318 mold. Here is the link to everyone's comments on the idea of shortening the HP pin :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...u-like-to-vote

Most said either a shallow HP pin or shoot it as a solid, but more importantly retain the original factory Lyman ( long ) hp pin "as is ". So I would not devalue the mold.

I thought that was wise strategy, so today I made a 2nd HP pin for the mold ( without any modification to the original ). Not having a lathe, the work was very slow. However , I'm pleased with the outcome.

I now have a 2nd shallow hp pin for the mold to compliment the original long Lyman pin. I may get some nose expansion, but I'd think with the current modification that the bulk of the bullet ( 7/8 th of it or so ) will behave as a solid.

The bullet with the long and deep hp opening just exploded on a white tail last year and basically tore off the shoulder of the deer. This modification should remedy that problem.

Here are photos of today's work:

The mold cast great bullets this afternoon with a near zero rejection rate.
    Last edited by Ben; 03-27-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Boolit Master

You did that without a lathe?? Amazing work Ben and does look like it will do a better job in the meat saving department. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    You did that without a lathe?? Amazing work Ben and does look like it will do a better job in the meat saving department. Thanks for the inspiration.

Stan,

Yes without a lathe.

I used a drill press, files and a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to fabricate the new style pin.

You're kind with your words.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Looks good I think the new bullet is a up grade and will hit harder. What alloy did you use on your bullets did that contribute to the shattering of the led.

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy C

I shot straight ACWW's on the deer with the long HP pin. It was a " flying bomb."

This modification today should have a better result.

I think that I'll also use a different alloy for this next hunting season coming up. I'll be using 50% PB and 49% ACWW's and 1% tin with this new design.

I'm hoping for improved performance from the bullet. It is an accurate bullet in my many .358 rifles, but far too explosive the way it was.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-26-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Randy C

I shot straight ACWW's on the deer with the long HP pin. It was a " flying bomb."

This modification today should have a better result.

I think that I'll also use a different alloy for this next hunting season coming up. I'll be using 50% PB and 49% ACWW's and 1% tin with this new design.

I'm hoping for improved performance from the bullet. It is an accurate bullet in my many .358 rifles, but far too explosive the way it was.

Ben
    It sounds like you mean business, you can blow um in half or hit them hard and knock um off there feet.

Boolit Grand Master

You may be surprised at the expansion from even the newe pins shallower hollow point. Once expansion starts and the dia gets bigger then more area is presented to force expansion. A soft alloy at 35 caliber opened to 40 will have much more area and thus force penetrating thru and may continue to expand. No to fine tune the alloy

Nice write up and pictures.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    That looks great Ben. Much of your problem before was the straight wheel weights part. That would probably be fine with your new pin, though. If you feel like experimenting, shoot another deer with the deep pin and 1-20 tin to lead. I suspect it would hold together if you started it at 1700 fps or less.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    I use an alloy of WW-Lino and pure. It gets a BHN of 15 on a LEE tester. I Flat POINT the 358318 in the sizing die OR "soft nose" it when I feel energetic. Shot at near 2000 FPS muzzle velocity, it seems almost unstoppable! It does show signs of expansion with exits 2 to 3 times entrance holes. I seldom shoot at game beyond 150 yards with cast and this bullet has never failed to work, no matter what nose shape it has! Even straight ACWW (BHN ~ 12) alloy works on deer at 18-1900 fps.

Banned
    Nice mod Ben.....one can fab alot of nice stuff with a drill press, files and some "desire".

I like your new strategy alot better, I still feel you have more HP than needed, but try some of the 50/50 waterdropped through the slats on bambi ....it will be a big improvement over what you had. I would still make darn sure I stayed off the shoulder though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks fellows.

Deer beware here on this end of things now ! !

Beautiful work Ben, have been wanting to try some shallow/cup type hollow points and now I just need some more time...

Pete

Boolit Grand Master
    phaessler

I'm certainly no machinist.....If I can make one, anyone can do it.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    phaessler

I'm certainly no machinist.....If I can make one, anyone can do it.

Ben
    You may not be a machinist but I suspect your pretty handy!
    Woody
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Looks great maybe that's the same problem I'm having in my 06,guess I could try a shallow HP
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Ben do you mind sharing what you used to make the pin from? I can see that it would be a really neat thing to do if pin stock were readily available.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    Stan ,

I looked in my gun parts boxes and found some small lengths of steel drill rod, I turned and fabricated those parts into what you see.

I used the factory Lyman pin as a model and attempted to make a ' clone ' of it.

Ben

Drill rod is cheap. I picked up some from my local Fastenal store for about $1.25 per foot. I make my own lee universal decapping pins and plan to make my own NOE style hp pins
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Bub
    Ben, nice work with the at hand tools. You should get a mini-lathe, you'd have way more fun. You did very craftsmanship work, congrats. Take care, John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast