Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: thinking about casting for shotguns, couple of question.

Boolit Mold

thinking about casting for shotguns, couple of question.

Hi guy's,im new to reloading and casting, iv never cast or reloaded for shotguns and i want to reload slugs for my 12 gauge. Remington has stopped selling what was in my opinion one of the best slugs ever the 3" buckhammer, and i haven't found any other slug im happy with so i want to make my own but i have a couple questions. 1. Can i use my 3'' remington 00 buck hulls, i have alot of these lying around. 2. Can anyone tell me how accurate the lyman 525 gr flat nose slugs are when loaded correctly (im shooting out of a 24" rifled barrel). 3. Where do i find load data for shotguns, 4. Just how powerful can i make a reloaded slug without blowing up my gun and 5. What kind of alloy is best for slugs, i have alot of ww will this work. Like i said i really know nothing about casting for/reloading shotgun shells and before i learn and buy all the equipment i want to make sure what i want is possible (a very hard hitting decently accurate slug). If iv posted this in the wrong place im sorry. Thanks to anyone who can help

Boolit Grand Master

I can't answer all your questions but will give some a go:

1. Can i use my 3'' remington 00 buck hulls, i have alot of these lying around. Can't answer this one without some investigation. Maybe someone else has first hand experience. If you can find load recipes to suit them then yes.

2. Can anyone tell me how accurate the lyman 525 gr flat nose slugs are when loaded correctly (im shooting out of a 24" rifled barrel). Again, no first hand experience but reports are quite good from rifled gun all the way to 100 yards. A lot will depend on slug/wad to barrel fit.

3. Where do i find load data for shotguns, Get yourself some slug reloading manuals!
    - The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook has a number of slug recipes.
    - BPI puts out a slug reloading manual that is not bad.
    - Reloading for Shotgunners is another good reloading manual with a few slug loads

4. Just how powerful can i make a reloaded slug without blowing up my gun FOLLOW PRESSURE TESTED LOAD RECIPES!!! This is not metallic cartridge reloading and you cannot "just work up a load". All the components work together in shotshell reloading and some substitutions can be very dangerous. For instance, all of my manuals say to never substitute primers and the extreme example is a recipe with nothing changed except primer and pressure rose by 3000 PSI! Not a problem if you are running a 6000 or 7000 PSI load but could be if you are running an 11,000 or 12,000 PSI load.

5. What kind of alloy is best for slugs, i have alot of ww will this work. Most manuals and mould supplier recommendations say to use pure or very soft lead but many use wheelweights and even heat treated alloys with good success. I shoot smoothbores so am not an expert on rifled guns but I suspect that you would be best served with a full bore slug and no shotcup. Many of the shooters here are using full bore slugs with good success. The Lyman 525 gr. sabot slug is reported to shoot well and many use it with good success so nothing wrong with it. A full bore slug just does not require the wad slug to bore fit and those variations that come with different batches or brands of wads.

A thread on the Lyman 525 gr. slug:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Thread

There may be something in there to help you out. Also, do a search as there are a lot of posts on slug loading.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I'll try to answer some questions too..
    1. If the hulls are in good shape you can reuse if you find a load listing for them.. I'm not familiar with them, but if they are a tapered hull they may not be the best for slugs... most hulls are straight..You can use them as is if you are going to fold crimp for 3 " or you can trim to 2 3/4" and use for fold or roll crimp.. again find a load for that hull...

2. I have cast and loaded Lyman 525's for several years.. The accuracy you get depends upon each shotgun and the particular loads and techniques used.. Shotgun's are not standard like SAAMI specs for centerfire cartridge guns and ammo. I have shot 3 different Remington dedicated slug guns, a Savage and Browning A-Bolt and have been able to get acceptable results for the 525's. I have tried different hulls, powders and wads and still go with the one Lyman provided with the mold when I purchased it...Now they suggest a much lower charge of powder...I have also learned from others and now knurl the slugs, fill the cavity with hotmelt and dust the wads with mica...may be a little overboard for most.. but I think my groups have improved. Shooting a slug gun for groups is a lot different that shooting a .243.. technique matters as the slug gives off a lot of recoil and is slow moving compared to centerfire rifles. If I do my part I can keep most 5 shot groups within 3 -5" @ 100yds but still have the "too often" fifth shot flier... shooter error most probably.

3. There is a lot of data right here in this forum and also in slug shooters subforum on shotgun world forum. BPI sells a pamphlet on slugs(not my choice of recommendation) and Lyman has some info in shotshell manual.

4. Don't experiment by exceeding any load recommendations...work up loads just like centerfire.. begin low and work up... I wouldn't worry about power, I would concentrate on accuracy... My loads are listed @ 1525FPS(I never chrono'd them) and hit deer like a freight train. When the slugs hit the berm @ 100yds at the shooting range it looks like a small bomb went off...

5. I have tried pure soft lead, wheel weight alloy both air and water cooled... I prefer the soft lead.. I get better accuracy and when looking at the recovered wads see they are not torn as badly as the hard slugs do. Some others swear by the harder lead as they feel the obturation is less damaging to the hollow base slug... (That is why I fill the base of mine with hotmelt)

I would also suggest you look at SlugsRUs... they sell their components for reloading(hammerhead slugs and SPW wads).. they also sell roll crimp head and hulls.. they do provide some load data for reloading.

Hope this helps,

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Mold
    thanks for all the great info guys. longbow, thank you the link it did help and i will be sure not to exceed any load recepies.
    The Moose, thank you there is a lot of helpful info in your post, i would imagine another advantage of pure lead is it probably expands better, the buck hammers i used to shoot also were rated at about 1525 fps and when you shot a deer with them it was like you hit them with a truck. I had no idea that the load was specific to the hull with shotgun shells I will be sure to find data for my remington 3'' 00 hulls before doing anything with them. Again thank you both.

I would also recommend a good shotgun reloading manual like "The Lyman Shotshell handbook". The lyman book has a lot of data for slugs and round balls as well as shotshells..... Its my goto book even though I have 5 or 6 different shotshell reloading manuals...

AG

Boolit Mold
    thanks AG i was actually just about to look for it on amazon.

Boolit Master
    I understand folks wanting to be able to say "I did it myself" . I also understand people wanting to reload to try and save some money . However with the rifled shotgun barrel slug thing I tend to think if economy is the main issue and you shoot no more then two or three boxes of slugs a year you may be far better off to find another factory loaded sabot slug and use that .

By all means I'm intrested in handloading buckshot and sooner or later roundballs for my smoothbore shotguns . But for my two rifled shotguns I shoot Remington AccuTip sabot slugs and generally keep 3 shots inside 1 1/2" at 100 yards from the bench . Granted I buy my slugs at dealer cost , but usually each year I shoot maybe a box in each gun at the range to check my sight in and then perhaps 2 or 3 shots per gun during actual hunting . As I only use them two or three days a year when I'm in areas that require them . I suppose if I lived in a shotgun only area and could kill the numbers of deer we kill in central VA cost might be a greater issue .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slu...s/products/71/

Call these folks and tell them what hulls you have and they will sell you what you need to go with your hulls. The first time I did shot gun they emailed me there tested loads for the products they sold me. They will look up every thing for you and they can sell you a press also. they make and test every thing so it is a safe way to start.

You will love reloading if you get started but it is addictive, I think its a better place to spend money then the local bar.
    Last edited by Randy C; 03-27-2014 at 12:21 AM.

Lane Hand loader if on a budget. $30. They sell them in most gages. Redneck Video here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK037aQN6qc

http://www.lanesreloading.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lane tool looks really Mickey Mouse. Try to find a used MEC 600 JR - normally about $70 or a Sizemaster - about double that and I think you will be happier. If you have the money, the Ponsness-Warren 375 is a good machine.

Don Verna