MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers

Boolit Mold

Primers

I am new to casting and reloading. I did several loads and I have 2 primers in upside down. Is there any way to get them out or do I need to trash the brass?

Love Life
    If the rds ar already loaded then I would stick cartridge in a cup of water for a day or two, then use a bullet puller, knock the promer out, and call it good.

If the cases aren't loaded, then slowly push th eprimer out with your decapping die.

Boolit Bub
    You can soak the primer in oil, and let it set for a day or two. This should deaden the primer. One of the old manuals listed soaking primers in oil to dispose of old unknown primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Get yourself a kinetic bullet puller and disassemble the cartridge. Some people will warn you about doing the following, but I've never had a problem(but I also always wear safety glasses while reloading). Very slowly and easily run the cases with the upside down primers into the resizing/decapping die. You will save all your components. Get the bullet puller, you will need it more than once.

Boolit Buddy
    Get yourself a kinetic bullet puller and disassemble the cartridge. Some people will warn you about doing the following, but I've never had a problem(but I also always wear safety glasses while reloading). Very slowly and easily run the now empty cases with the upside down primers into the resizing/decapping die. You will save all your components. Get the bullet puller, you will need it more than once.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've knocked out many primers just as PB has w/o any issue. Infact the only primer I've had go off out side of the chamber was a 209 in a shotshell how or why is unknown best guess is a piece of shot in the capping station.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

I use a dental pick to pull the anvil and scrape the priming compound out, then i pound the boolit out of the case.

Boolit Master

I'm in the kinetic bullet puller camp.
    As mentioned above all the components including the primer can be reused
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    I have found that, even though I apply very careful pressure when using the sizing die, the primer will dent and look like a fired primer. I have never tried to see if they will work properly when reinstalled correctly. I just deactivate them and toss them. I would think that trying to scrape the primer material out would chance igniting the material, but I never tried it to find out.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master
    When dis-assembled, push out slow with the decapper. if not damaged, use it again. I keep such rounds in a margarine tub and they go into my shirt pocket to keep seperate. Then theyusually gat fired first.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I'm in the kinetic bullet puller camp.
    As mentioned above all the components including the primer can be reused
    I do the same also and have not had a problem yet and also do shotgun also with out a problem.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Lots of good advice above.
    I read in a reloading manual that if you sprayed the open primer with WD40 it instantly made the primer inoperable and could be removed normally. Fortunately I haven't needed to do that yet. I have certainly crushed a bunch I got in the pocket sideways though.

Boolit Master
    I left some 30-06 cases outside in what I thought was a water tight container, it wasn't. They set there for over a year before I opened the container and found the cases were submerged in water. I poured out the water and let the cases dry. Some of them had been primed so just out of curiosity I but a case in one of my '06s and to my surprise it went off with a loud bang. If I were going to kill the primers I would use oil, not water.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

On Heaven's Range

NO NO NO!!!

There is lots of BAD advice in this thread.

Some info here is correct, however.

Look, primers work on IMPACT. No impact, no "BANG!" Therefore, the advice about GENTLY pushing the primer out of the case is correct. Wear safety glasses, sure, but GENTLE is the key word.

Primers will NOT, repeat: NOT be de-activated by a short exposure to oil, WD40 or powder solvent. How do i know? BECAUSE I TRIED IT, unlike many who repeat "what I read" somewhere or other.

CCI 200 primers were placed in BATHS of WD40, gun oil, and Hoppes'#9....that is, SUBMERGED in the fluids. Every day, after the first 24 hours, I removed five primers from each bath, primed .45ACP cases with the soaked primers, and tried to fire them.

It took OVER A WEEK before they finally were totally inert, specifically including those bathed in WD40! "Instant de-activation"????

HAH!!!!

Also, why in blazes would anyone worry about reusing a removed primer or primers? We are talking about a THREE-CENT component, and there's no real way to ensure that the removed primer won't end up in a crucial round of ammunition. Three cents is peanuts when it comes to reliable ammunition. Better to scrap the removed primers and be sure. A screw-top can or jar with some sort of solvent will kill them, but NOT INSTANTLY.

Yes, I know that primers are in short supply. That's still insufficient reason for *ME* to risk substandard performance on any round I fire.

And, how on earth does a primer get the appearance of a fired one (dented) when pushed out from the INSIDE of the case??

Don't believe everything you read, not even this post. TRY IT FOR YOURSELF. Soak a few primers and test them periodically. THEN you'll know. There are far too many myths floating around, and some can get you hurt.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Upside down seated primers pushed out with a decapping die can look fired. I don't reuse them though. I also have personally tried to kill different primers with oil, some of them never did die.

Boolit Grand Master

Am I the only one that is wondering how the primers ended up being upside down?

I have an older Lee hand primer that will sometimes flip the primer if I'm not careful. I stay on top of it now but it has happened to me in the past.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't need a puller take the die out of your press grab the bullet with a side cutters or pliers and retract the ram gently and with caution push out the primer wear eyes and ears to be supersafe universal decappers are best so you can feel better hopefully you have a single stage press

If you have never ever had a primer upside down you probably need to do more reloading and less wondering

If I have to push out live primers I do It slow and where safety glasses and there is not any powder on the bench I keep a fire extinguisher close buy. I never try to reuse a primer. This has work for me several times.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used the spray nozzle on an air hose with the air turned down to 70-80 PSI. I shot the primer into a wadded up red rag and it was installed right side up and fired just fine. My nozzle has a coned orfice that you can hold tight in the neck of the cartridge case and hit the button a short burst and out comes the primer. BTW, I have done this three or four times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast