RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 125 gr. Red Dot 30/30 squirrel load?

Boolit Bub

125 gr. Red Dot 30/30 squirrel load?

Having failed to come up w/ an accurate round ball small game load, I picked up some 125 gr cast R.N. boolits at the local shop. First try of 3.5 gr [.5cc dipper] seems accurate, does not lead the Micro groove barrel of my Marlin, [only shot 30, so far, so good] and buries well into the walnut logs I'm using as a backstop. Any Idea what kind of velocity I might be getting, and, is the pressure safe? Broke all the rules about using only published safe loads, but couldn't come up with anything despite lotsa uses of the search button. Happy so far!

Boolit Master

Squirrel/Vermin Loads

Lyman's Third Edition cast bullet manual lists a starting load of 7.0 grains of Red Dot with a 115 grain (311441) boolit for a velocity of 1400 fps. I'd say you are on pretty safe ground with that light load of yours.

I've not tried Red Dot in the 30/30 for squirrel loads, but I've used a lot of Unique for similar purposes and I have found a safe starting load with a 125 grain cast boolit at 9 grains of Unique. Velocity is 1500 fps and accuracy in my Model 94 hovers around 2 MOA.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Bub
    Scharf- Thanks for the info - I have about a 1/2 lb of unique, was gonna start with that, but my Red Dot jug was almost full; also have Clays, Blue dot, 2400-just not that much info out there for 125gr cast except max velocity rifle powder loads- not what I'm after! Will try your recipie on for size!

Boolit Grand Master

That load (125 gr cast with 3.5 Red Dot) is probably in the 900 - 1100 fps +/- range.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Larry- I was thinking it might be subsonic, based on the noise level- comfortable to shoot without ear protection, about like standard vel. 22lr from a rifle.

Boolit Master

I looked at the CBH #3, and it listed a 115gr boolit, 7gr@1400fps to 10grs@1745fps. That's about 100fps per grain, so 1/2 that might be 700fps, or a bit higher. Mr Gibson has more experience than I in this, so I would lean towards his estimate.

Boolit Bub
    I plan to try going to 5gr tomorrow [.7cc dipper], if I don't get leading or lose accuracy,may be even better!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used 6.5 grains of Red Dot with a 311-316 that runs about 122 w/ gas check. IIRC, it runs about 1250 fps from a Win. 94 carbine. I have shot a great many more of those with Herco or Unique.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Just out of curiosity, may I ask what you were loading for round balls and powder?

My load of 2.1gr Red Dot (.3cc dipper) under a .310" round ball in an unresized case is quite accurate to 60 yards in my 26" barreled Marlin 1893...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsie57 View Post
    Thanks Larry- I was thinking it might be subsonic, based on the noise level- comfortable to shoot without ear protection, about like standard vel. 22lr from a rifle.
    woodsie57, don't let the assuming low noise level of a 22lr out of a rifle fool you, the noise level as measured with real test equipment is about 140 decibels enough to hurt your ears.

Boolit Bub
    I use saeco #325 (98) grain with 3 grains Red dot in my garage using a large glue lam beam as a back stop it penetrates the wood but not to deep. found you need to tilt the gun back before firing for best results. This puts the powder closer to the flash hole. good luck.

Banner Sponsor

QuickLoad says a 125gn boolit out of a 20" bbl
    3.5 gns of RedDot 996fps @ 7.7ksi
    5.0 gns of RedDot 1207fps @ 13ksi

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the feedback,esp. Lar- wondered what the vel. was, don't have a chrono! My RB load was with the .3cc dipper [2.1gr], unsized cases, also tried 3.5 gr., seemed the micro groove barrel just didn't get ahold of the balls well enough. Really happy with the 3.5 gr/125gr combo at this point!

Boolit Bub
    I use a 311008 and a 31133 with 5.4 gr of Red Dot. I get 1250 FPS with the hollow point and 1200 FPS with the solid out of my 16.25" trapper. Groups are around 1-1.5" at 50 yards.

Boolit Bub
    The 125 Gr round lead Balls work great in my Sling shot on Rabbits etc.

I spent a while at the range this weekend working a very similar issue. I bought some 119 LRN (no gas check) bullets for an M1 Carbine and thought I would load some light loads for the 30-30. I loaded 22 bullets from 6 to 11 grains of Unique in 1 grain increments to find the best grouping at about 30 yards. I found I was getting wild shot off the paper with 11 grains...6 was ok, but by far the best grouping was with 8 grains of Unique with a 119 grain plain based bullet. Hope that helps. Bill

Accurate 31-090B (95gr fp) over 5 grs Buulseye. Sized to .309" and LLA. 6 shots in an inch at 40yds makes my old 94 ready for squirrels.

Boolit Master
    .3cc (2 grains) Red Dot under a 311008, in my M94 Trapper.

Possum Living is a very good YT channel.

Keep up the good work.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Buddy
    Possum living graciously sent me some of those .32 caliber boolits.
    I haven't had the chance to wring them out yet.
    Moving, surgery, life etc. has really cut into my shooting time!!
    One of these days I will get back at it.
    He is a good man!
    His channel is great too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast