Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Finally got to shoot it!

Finally got to shoot it!

With permission, last year I bought a used Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. Got it for $1150 shipped and its in very good condition. I finally got a chance to shoot it today; what a hoot! Not casting anything for it yet. I'm just shooting some Winchester cowboy ammo I was able to find right after I bought the rifle. Figured I'd shoot it up and then have the brass to reload.

There IS a downside.....The Redhead tried it out, and she likes it too! Now she thinks she'll need one for herself. Actually, mine is a tad heavy for her with the 34" barrel. She's thinking something more along the lines of the Uberti Highwall my dad has. Guess we'll have to start saving up again. I'd rather have this problem than a woman who doesn't shoot though!
    Browncoat

Congrats on your "new to you" rifle and i hope it's all you want it to be. Sounds like you've got a good shooting pardner to boot! Does'nt get much better than that. I was looking hard at a couple of sharps this last weekend at a Gander MT. store at around the 1400.00 range. It was hard to walk away and it's a rifle that's definitely on the wish list.

congrats on your new shooter,what caliber is it in?
    I have one in 45-120,its great to shoot ,,,but not too many at one time.

Boolit Master
    Keep that woman happy!!!!!!!!
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

It's your average ole 45-70. I expect to have a great deal of fun with it.

Yes, rhead, I do my best to keep her happy!
    Browncoat

Boolit Master
    Cabelas here in Kalispell has used Uberti highwall in 45-70 on the rack.
    Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Cabelas here in Kalispell has used Uberti highwall in 45-70 on the rack.
    Just sayin
    You're helping right? With friends like you....

Truthfully I'd go take a look at it, but I already know we can't afford it so soon after moving...and I have no real desire to go into Cabelas. I saw the other day that Sportsman is expanding; presumably to compete with Cabelas. Hope they don't overextend and go out of business from trying to keep up with the Jones's.
    Browncoat

Boolit Master

Get her one of the Lyman mini Sharps in .22 Hornet or 38/55. Should be just the right size.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Get her one of the Lyman mini Sharps in .22 Hornet or 38/55. Should be just the right size.
    She'd never go for that. She liked the 45-70, just my rifle is a little too much for her to hold at 10.5 pounds. She is having a bit of trouble with her left shoulder right now though too. She's strong and I don't think she'd have trouble with it normally, but we'll see. For reference, in handgun she shoots a .45 auto that she packs in a Galco shoulder holster.
    Browncoat

45/70, 10 grains unique and the 400 cast lead bullet is cheap to shoot and easy on anyone's shoulder. No need to go to a smaller caliber if your a reloader and bullet caster. Drop the bullet down to 300 grains for squirrels.

Boolit Master

Monttexan, is your Sharps a carbine or rifle?

I would love to have a Sharp's 45/70 cavalry carbine someday.

I have an Pedersoli Sharps Berdan .54 cal "Paper-cutter", and I can say it has one of the smoothest, nicest polished bores I have ever owned.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    The one here is priced at 795.
    I dont think Sportsman is worried about competing with Cabela's.
    They have 6 stores now, and have the best prices on average around here.
    I like the people at Snappys better, but their prices sometimes are
    pretty hard to choke down

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    45/70, 10 grains unique and the 400 cast lead bullet is cheap to shoot and easy on anyone's shoulder. No need to go to a smaller caliber if your a reloader and bullet caster. Drop the bullet down to 300 grains for squirrels.
    Heheh... I shot a squirrel with a 45-70 once.... head shot.... just put a .45cal. hole in his head.... good squirrel gun. Didn't do the tree any good though....
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

My Sharps is a rifle; 34 inch barrel.

Jim, the High wall is gone from Cabellas. We stopped by there today before the gun show and my dad made a deal for it. Why he needs a second one I don't know, but he's buying it.

The red head is trying to decide what to do. She has a Thompson Contender in .45LC/.410 that she inherited from her dad along with a holster and a little ammo. She has no affinity for the gun other than it had been her dad's and she has others that she got from him. She saw a couple of guns that she liked at the gun show today. The first is a buffalo classic; the guy told me he'd take $375 cash, but we're low on cash after the move. The second is a new, unfired Handi rifle with both .45/70 and 12 gauge barrels and a soft carrying case. The guy's asking $400 for that combo. She had thought about trying a partial trade with my dad for one of the high walls, but he decided he doesn't really need another Contender.....but apparently needs a second high wall. Go figure. She's going to sleep on it and decide in the morning! Any thoughts?
    Browncoat

Boolit Master
    you can get a new B/C from Buds guns for not much more than that one. The other deal, the 45-70/12 gauge is a little steep in my eyes.
    Was the Uberti roller still at Cabelas?

Perm-Banned
    find her a good 38/55 and she will be very happy and keep up with you. a few local long distance shooters from around here whos wives shoot, shoot the 38/55. like suggested that lyman 38/55 looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    you can get a new B/C from Buds guns for not much more than that one. The other deal, the 45-70/12 gauge is a little steep in my eyes.
    Was the Uberti roller still at Cabelas?
    Forgot to mention that the B/C was new. She's decided to be patient (a first) and save up before deciding what she wants. Didn't see an Uberti roller at Cabellas but I could have missed it.
    Browncoat