Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old School Rules!

Boolit Master

Old School Rules!

Attachment 100415
    At the range today anyway. I've had miserable results with the rifled barrel (but Cpileri is sending me some real sabots to try, prince that he is) so brought out the old Poly Choke barrel and fired off some of my 7/8 Lee slug loads through it....was having great success @ 50 yds with several loads and walked my board as far as I could against the berm....125 paces. These were my last 3 shells with a red dot that practically covered the whole plate. The load is A Federal 2 3/4" hull with a cheddite 209, 34 grns Longshot, Trap Commander wad with 1 - 20 ga nitro card in the bottom and a 16 ga. card on top of that, slug and a perfect 8 pt. crimp. That didn't perform nearly as well in either cylinder or improved cylinder with my other barrels. Screwed the choke wide open.
    The other success for which I don't have pictures was a 2-ball load, .600 COWW balls in a Flite Control wad, 2 3/4" Federal hulls, a pinch of Jim Dandy spherical buffer (aka grits!) in the bottom of the concave base over 31 grns Longshot. Screwed the poly all the way down to full and put every ball in the plate @ 50 yds! Beautiful spring day in Georgia!

HT,

Come on now, everybody knows if you don't pay at least $4 a round for factory sabots there is no way to hit a target at 125 yards with a scattergun!

Glad you had some good loads. I know slug development for me it seems that I generate a lot more bad targets than good ones. It is great feeling when you find a slug that will work for you.

BB

Love those poly chokes....

Boolit Grand Master

Hah! I had a friend who years ago shot a near bore size round ball through a Polychoke that was set to full choke. Round ball and choke left the barrel with some gusto I must say! He found it downrange unharmed so soldered it back on. Tough little fellow it was.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Built in safety feature! Who knew? But man, did you see that target?!?!?! You gotta get you one of those 7/8 molds...

Boolit Grand Master
    HT

Great post.

There is an old gentleman at our trap club who has about dozen shotguns with Poly Chokes. I have not seen him in a while and your post brought back a lot of memories. He is a hell of guy.

Nice shooting too!! Putting every ball into a pie plate at 50 yards will put down a lot of game and two legged varmints.

Don Verna

My oldest brother had a I think an old 16ga bolt action Stevens with the Poly choke, your pictures sure brought some fond memories, love to find an old gun like that......... HC