Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Plugging the hole?

Plugging the hole?

Getting ready to start sizing with my star. Going to have plug up some holes as I will be doing some single groove bullets. Anyone using anything besides lead shot to plug the holes? I believe I read someone using bamboo? I tried taping the die then cutting away the holes I needed, didnt work. I was thinking maybe some of those little plastic beads like they melt for injection molding? Not trying to re-invent the wheel here, I am just worried about messing up my die when I need to take the lead out. Be a shame to mess up Lathesmiths work. Anyone got any ideas let me know. thanks.

Banned
    I know how you feel ...been there. I plugged the holes once and ended up having to send the die back to lathesmith for repair. There is a thread on using tap to cover the unneeded holes. I haven't tried it because after my experience it was easier just to have dies made to my specs. You might try a search.

Boolit Buddy

I drilled a set out once, I just used the bit in my hand. After that I just ordered ones from Chris that are setup for each bullet in question.

Well I was hoping for something beside lead for plugging the hole. Think I will still try a few things just to see if anything else works. Didnt think about sending Chris a bullet and having him make a die for it, guess that will be plan B. Sure is alot of good infor about star sizers here, but you have to read practically everone to find the information you want.

The last one I had to remove the lead form holes I used a propane torch and melted it out. It also cleaned ALL the old lube too. Clint

I hate to state the obvious, but the method recommended by Star and by Magma works just fine. I have used it for years with no problems. I have never damaged a die. This is a link to Magma's YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SKkS0IyFYU

I use a dental pick from inside the die & pop the lead plug out. There are times this doesn't work well & the Magma way is used.

Moderator Emeritus

yman:
    I'm relatively new to the Star lub-sizer, and now have two new-to-me units. One came set up (thanks SWANEEDB!), but for the 2nd I needed a die (thanks LATHESMITH!) and was also "troubled" with concept of driving in the lead shot, perhaps more re its removal. Hence, I had a "brainstorm" of using a bit of Thermogrip Hot-melt glue. It worked like a charm in application, and when cool I removed a couple just for kicks -- then, a third which was too "high" in the die also came completely out with no challenges. They all came out better than I had anticipated! I put the die in, plugged in the (Lyman) heater under the Star -- and my trial batch of boolits came out great! As stated, this is something I just tried, and seems to work great; I think the lub will neither dissolve it, nor is there enough heat from the ~20watt element to melt it to compromise its functionality. No guarantee re if it'll do the job for you, but... at least so far, I'm happy. As a btw, the glue sticks come in both lo- and regular temp versions -- mine, from Ace Hardware -- is the regular.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    For most of my boolits, I have two horizontal rows of holes open on the die, with one skipped horizontal row in between those, that is blocked. For two groove boolits, I just line em up and lube. For one groove boolits, I set the depth so that the base driving band covers one of the horizontal rows and the other unblocked horizontal row of holes does the lubing. That handles 95% of my boolits per that caliber. For the other 5%, I have another die entirely.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Thanks for this tip!

I have a machinist scribe that's "L" shaped @ one end. It popped the lead plug right out.

http://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-51...chinist+scribe

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    I use a dental pick from inside the die & pop the lead plug out. There are times this doesn't work well & the Magma way is used.

Banned
    It looks like we are kinda split on our opinion here and there are no wrong ideas. Some of us prefer to have a die for a specific bullet possibly because of prior trouble removing the lead shot. Some have had no trouble and may possibly never experience the problems associated with lead shot removal and kicking up a burr. To each his own. I believe however I may try the hot glue method to see if it will work. The down side is hot glue doesn't stick to metal good.

Moderator Emeritus

After a couple of weeks, my hot glue seems to be holding. I just saw your post: If you think about it, one is making wee "cones" with the ThermoGrip Hot Glue -- the Star die has two stages, a larger hole near the outside (intended for the lead shot) and, the smaller hole at the inside. Pressurized lub is squished from the outside in, so whether it sticks to metal or not is, imho, moot. That it blocks lub from passing through holes I wish blocked -- well, as stated, it's doing well. My major fear was the glue in fact melting while Star is in use, but apparently (whew!) it does not get hot enough so to do. I'm happy; be curious to hear if you also had success?
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I prefer to have a separate die and punch for each boolit, it is so much easier to change the die and punch than to mess around plugging or unplugging holes. That being said I never heard or thought of using hot melt glue to plug the holes. That sounds like an excellent idea.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller