Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I load a 45LC with 230 gr 45acp bullets ?

Banned

Can I load a 45LC with 230 gr 45acp bullets ?

Bought me a never fired 4 year old S&W 25-5 45lc and was wondering if I could load 230gr rn 45 acp bullets in it. My old Lymans manual doesn't show anything smaller than 250gr. I have unique,231, red dot, and bullseye for powder.

Boolit Bub
    I'll check if one of my manuals contains the load data for that round. I used to load 200 grain SWC for a 45 Colt load, they were the same bullets I used back then for 45 auto. It's been close to 30 years, but I'll check if I still have the load data.

Sure can - the older guns (colt SAA for example) had .454-.455 throats but most newer guns have .451-.452 throats. I've even used 185-200 grain SWC's that I bought for my 1911 in my Ruger Blackhawk with either cylinder.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    I would appreciate that. I have 200gr SWC and 185swc also. What I have will have to carry me thru until my brother returns with a Magma mold. Him and his wife spend winters in AZ and summers in Iowa.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Sure can - the older guns (colt SAA for example) had .454-.455 throats but most newer guns have .451-.452 throats. I've even used 185-200 grain SWC's that I bought for my 1911 in my Ruger Blackhawk with either cylinder.
    Wasn't it prior to WWII that they were .454 and after WWII they were .452?

unique, 231, red dot, and bullseye for powder

Lyman 41st manual lists Lyman 454309 235 grain plain base
    5 grains Bullseye giving 780 fps and 6.8 max at 950 fps
    8 grains of Unique giving 860 fps and 10.7 max at 1050 fps

Lyman 3rd edition shows
    Lyman 45468 175 gain
    reddot starting 4 grains 475 fps to 7 grains max 775 fps
    231 starting 7.0 for 770 fps to 9 grains max for 1041 fps
    Last edited by Artful; 03-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Wasn't it prior to WWII that they were .454 and after WWII they were .452?
    Not really true as lots of guns assembled in the 50's, 60's and 70's (Target Model 25's) had overly large throats.
    Us bullseye shooters would send them back for correctly done throats and I think they offically changed in the late 70's or early 80's.
    je suis charlie

RCBS cast bullet manual #1
    45-185-BB
    231 7.6 grn for 903 max 806 for 1011
    bullseye grn 608 for 881 - max 7.8 for 1004

45-201-swc
    231 grn 6.9 for 832 -max 7.9 for 943 fps
    je suis charlie

Boolit Buddy
    im shooting a 200 gr swc bullet that I casted a few thousand of for my 1911 out of a ruger bh revolver with 5.8 gr or win 231 or hp38. I also have a few thousand 230 lrn and 230 gr truncated cone I haven't tried rn yet ive tried the truncated cones with bullseye and titegroup didn't care for either I just loaded some up with 700x a couple hours ago haven't tried them yet .

Boolit Master
    Not really true as lots of guns assembled in the 50's, 60's and 70's (Target Model 25's) had overly large throats.
    Us bullseye shooters would send them back for correctly done throats and I think they offically changed in the late 70's or early 80's.
    Some older 25's I have measured had .455"+ throats, and are a pain to get a boolit to fit properly. I have 2 "newer" production S&W's, and the throats on both are a consistent .452", and shoot very well.

Boolit Master

I shot a pile of 230-grain HPs yesterday out of my .45 Colt (Ruger Bisley). Some were over 800-x (a hair more than you'd want to use as I was probably in the low 20k pressure range) and some were over light loads of 2400; they shot fine, very accurate, but low-pressure loads of 2400 left my brass and bore looking like I'd used charcoal and wet leaves for a propellant.

I'd rather use something faster for light loads but I have what is, by my standards, a whole lot of 2400, and I thought I'd try it.

Boolit Master

??? This is a revolver, right? Start low, 10-30% less than "recommended," roll crimp the case mouth, and check for pressure signs. Accuracy will be affected by the 0.454 versus 0.452 barrel but if you are not concerned with that work up a load.

--Just saw Artful's post: good starting point, but I might still reduce the load and work it up.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master

Us bullseye shooters would send them back for correctly done throats and I think they officially changed in the late 70's or early 80's.
    Nice to know. My FiL earned his first distinguished leg with a revolver. A retired master carpenter, he has more scars from those moon clips than his job!

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Banned
    My S&W 25-5 is in the last run before the cylinder lock.

Boolit Master
    My S&W 25-5 is in the last run before the cylinder lock.
    Built on the new tooling, but without a lock. Should be a dandy.

Banned
    Anyone point me to a serial number site so I can pull up the year of manufacture instead of what I was told?

je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Bought me a never fired 4 year old S&W 25-5 45lc and was wondering if I could load 230gr rn 45 acp bullets in it. My old Lymans manual doesn't show anything smaller than 250gr. I have unique,231, red dot, and bullseye for powder.
    25-7s and 25-9s were made in the late 1980s and then into the '90s. How is it possible that you have a 25-5 that is only 4 years old?
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

I use the 230 grain 45 ACP boolit (RCBS 45-225-RN) in my 45 Colt SAA clone all the time and have found it to be an exceptionally good combination. I use a moderate roll crimp just past where the ogive starts on the ACP boolit and the crimp is seamless with no gap and it holds the boolit in place well. 231 has been my most used powder in the 45 Colt, but I'm starting to favor Tight Group for its better ballistic uniformity. The 45 ACP boolit works so well in the 45 Colt for me that I rarely load any other style or bullet weight for it.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-24-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    You can load the 45 Colt with bullets from 160 gr to whatever as long as one uses the old bean.
    Using the brain is a bonus for sure. Yes it surely is.