Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Combat Commander slide assy. on std. 1911 frame?

Combat Commander slide assy. on std. 1911 frame?

Seems like I did this back in the 70's but can't remember what was involved. Is it as simple as changing out the slide assy. and hammer? I have a spare 1911A-1 frame laying around and would like a Combat Commander, but don't want to cut the frame back in case I want to use other 1911 slide units on it. Currently looking at some Combat Commander slide units, one is a nice pre-'70 series and already have a hammer laying around somewhere.

Vendor Sponsor

It will fit on there fine. I don't remember if the dust cover needed to be cut, I did -not- cut the recoil shoulder back. This one functioned exceptionally well even with a shock buff.

Commander upper on Caspian Gov't frame:

Last edited by DougGuy; 03-22-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Good looking gun! Now I'm tempted more than ever to buy that Combat Commander slide assy.

Groo here
    The slides are different as are the frames.
    Go to Olympic arms the enforcer .
    Olympic uses the standard cut on all frames and both short and long slides.
    Found this the hard way,
    Commander and officer slides and frame rails are cut the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    The slides are different as are the frames.
    Go to Olympic arms the enforcer .
    Olympic uses the standard cut on all frames and both short and long slides.
    Found this the hard way,
    Commander and officer slides and frame rails are cut the same.
    I took a peek at the Olympic slide assemblies and they look good also, (and less expensive than the Colt). I'll give them a call Monday and discuss my wants with them.

Boolit Master
    I really appreciate Olympic Arms. They allowed the boys in my Boy Scout Troop a tour through their factory.

Boolit Master
    It will also depend on how old the commander upper is. At some point Colt went with the 9mm style ejector on all of the commanders, (ejector is closer to the center), and the slot in the slide may not necessarily line up with the ejector on your frame. I just ran into this on a build I did for my wife, using a commander upper on a Caspian frame.
    BD

The Colt slide assemblies I'm looking at are either pre-'70 series, or 70 series, so that at least shouldn't present a problem. I was just wondering about mounting a Commander slide assy. on a full length G.I. frame.

Boolit Master
    I am new to the 1911 arena, after 5 decades of S&W revolvers. Just recently acquired a Series 80. I am curious about mounting a Commander or a Government Model slide on an Officers frame. Can it be done reasonably?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

A Commander or Officer model slide on a Gov't frame might be do-able, (what I'm asking) but not the reverse that I know of. The Officer's frame is too short for the longer slides though. It wouldn't surprise me if some enterprising individual made longer slides for the officer's model, but I don't know of any at the moment.

Boolit Master
    back in the day I had a combat commander. my friend had a government model. well we started swapping parts. my commander top end fit and worked on his frame and his top end worked on my commander frame.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    back in the day I had a combat commander. my friend had a government model. well we started swapping parts. my commander top end fit and worked on his frame and his top end worked on my commander frame.
    That's what I thought, Bob. I think I did the same in the 70's or 80's, but just can't remember, of course these were both pre-70 series guns.

Pre Series 70 - no problem I built up a 1911 with slides in 22LR, 38 super/9x19, 45 ACP (full, commander, and bob cat as we called it back then between an officers and commander now) all on same full size frame.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Called Olympic today. No Gov't model slide assy's available in the foreseeable future. A stock Colt Commander slide it shall be.

Boolit Master

I like the CCO concept, Officers frame, Commander slide. I have a full size and an officers. If I were to put one together for carry I would do a CCO with aluminum or titanium frame to cut the weight. Even my all steel officers gets heavy carrying it all day out of the house.