Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: What's better?

Boolit Buddy

What's better?

Leupold Quick Release rings with the Leupold Quick Release base ($75 total)

OR

Leupold Quick Release Weaver rings with a Weaver style/brand base? ($62 total)

Prices are from Natchez -- they have the scope I want in stock and price is cheaper than Midway.

Saving $13 is not really the issue here -- getting the job done is.

Scope will be a TC Hawken 1.5-5 32mm w/ 1 in tube. Rifle is 336SS LTD 35 Rem.

Or should I be heading down a totally different path?

Thanks,
    Josh

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Keep in mind, most QD rings will not reliably return to zero. The best, are claw mount types. Good QD's, will cost nearly as much as your rifle, if you can find German ones. And even these do not return to exact zero. Most QD's are intended for use on dangerous game type rifles, or other close range uses. Good enough to bring you into a 4" circle within 50 yards generally, but don't depend on holding zero at longer ranges. If you get some, leave the scope mounted on the rifle as much as possible, because as with every mechanical thing, use causes wear, and the more they are removed and replaced, the less accurate they will be in returning to zero. May be good for the first twenty times, after that, things will steadily start speading, group wise. Another thing to consider, most detachables come with very short levers, giving very poor mechanical advantage. After a few shots, should you need to remove it in the field, you had better have some pliers with you, to ruin the levers, to remove the scope. The recoil will tighten them beyound what you can remove with your fingers.

Galena Guru

I'm with waksupi on this one ..

I hunt Dangerous Game and I dont use QD's .. My DG rifles are either open sighted or very low powered variables ..

I dont want to sound anal here , but unless you can afford the high dollar QD's , ya either put a scope on and leave it on , or never put one on ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

I use the Lupold rings on a Weaver base on my Marlin 336. Returns to within a couple of clicks to x ring on C. B. A. target at 100 yds. X ring size of a dime . Good combination.

Boolit Grand Master

I finished out a blank claw mount one time and after 40 HOURS of file fitting we had mounts that would return to within 2 1/2" at 100 yards and that is the BEST I have ever seen. If you can settle for say 2" at 50 then go for it and either mount MAY get you that close with work.

Quote Originally Posted by sturf View Post
    I use the Lupold rings on a Weaver base on my Marlin 336. Returns to within a couple of clicks to x ring on C. B. A. target at 100 yds. X ring size of a dime . Good combination.
    ????? Leupold Rings on a Weaver base? Educate me, I've never seen a pair that would even come close to fitting....

I have been pleased with the Leupold QR rings and bases on my Model 70 in 375 H&H. Returns too 1" or less at 100yds. Used this rifle on two African safari's for cape buffalo and planes game. As a side note I modified the rear base for a flip up peep sight. Drilled and taped the rear base for a redfield peep sight that came on some of the old redfield one piece scope bases mounts. Worked like a charm for buffs up close and personal.

Boolit Buddy
    Points well taken. I'm not wedded to the idea of quick release rings. I'm just looking for a solid setup for the TC Hawken Scope ( http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=425397 ) on my 336LTD. Liked the idea of being able to take scope off if needed without too much work.

Weaver bases are what I've always (which is not very long) used.

This what I was looking at regarding the QR rings for the Weaver base.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...481&t=11082005

Midway says I need .270 in ring height for a 1 inch tube with a outside diameter of 38 mm.

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/s...ing_height.htm

I was going to use a Weaver 63B base in silver, just need rings. I have Burris rings on the same scope on a different 336, but just don't like them so well. I can put the same ones on this setup, but was trying to go a different route.

Bottom line, I need some 1 inch silver rings that will work with a Weaver 63B base and a 38mm objective diameter/ 1 inch tube.

Boolit Master

I use the Leupold QRW rings ( Weaver Style ) on 2 rifles and a shotgun

These are Steel and not light weight

I have 2 scopes for eaach rifle and a Red Dot for 1
    And a scope and red Dot for the shotgun

The Rifles come back to right around 1"
    I did a test , took off the scope 4 or 5 times , firing 2 rnds each time at a target at 200 yds ( 7/08 shooting jacketed bullets )
    Form memory , the total group was just over 3"
    The rifle and ME can do just under 2" normaly at 200 yds
    That is IF I have not been drinking anything with cafine

I am planing on using a set on a pistol , so I can switch from a scope to a Red Dot

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I have both the Leupold and Warne Quick Release rings for Weaver bases. One set on a Scout mount for my Marlin Guide gun in 45/70. The other on a 50 cal. TC Omega. Both work as advertised. I removed and reinstalled the scope from the 45/70 between each shot of a 5 shot group at 100 yds and couldn't tell the difference. I should check to see if the mounts tightened up since the scope hasn't been off the rifle since then.

I take the scope off of the Omega at least once a year for a detail cleaning of the rifle with hot soapy water and have never noticed a change in impact.

Banned

I have the Leupold Quick Release with weaver grand slam steel bases on 3 of my Marlins, and one Howa. They return extremely close to zero. Not a light setup, but definitely quality IMO..

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have used the Leupold QD rings and they returned within a half inch every time. I make sure that I wriggle them in so that they always return to the same point in relation to the bases and then I slowly tighten them up a bit at a time alternately between each base. I sold the rifle(pre 64 Win 243), scope and rings complete to a friend who bought it for his wife. They go away hunting for a weekend every month. She bought an old leather rifle scabbard which has rich floral tooling all over it and she loves it, real old world cowboy style. Trouble is, the scope makes the rifle too large to get into the scabbard, so, she removes it everytime and refits it the way I showed her. She is deadly with the old Winchester and manages a near perfect score in the field just the same. She pats the rifle after every kill with a big smile on her face and says "The Winchester Model 70, The riflewoman's rifle."

My Sako with Sako bases and a Leupold returns exactly to zero. I had some Weaver mounts that wouldn't return within 2" until I tried the controlled refit technique, I managed to get them withing an inch - inch and a quarter.

One thing to look for is the height of the bases, I've seen some, that once the scope is removed, they foul the open sights, which negates the advantage of the QDs.

I had this happen with another model 70. I didn't fit them for a year or so after purchasing them and the shop went out of business in the meantime. I was not amused, but bought a spare set of QD rings and a spare scope. After getting it all sighted in and ready, I never had occasion to remove the scope again before I sold it. I have always said the only time I ever adjust a Leupold is when I fit it to a new rifle.

I finally managed to pick up a model 70 pachmyr lo swing mount for the Model 70s, (I have fancied one of these since reading American gun maga as a boy), but don't have any 70s apart from a nice post 64 22-250XTR, seems a bit silly to put it on that.
    Mick.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-29-2007 at 04:08 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

4fingermick you are right about the QR base height issue fouling the factory open sight picture. I added a redfield flip peep aperture too the rear QR base and tossed the flip V-rear express sight on the model 70 for the best of both sighting systems.

Banned

Like Mic I push my scope forward and down with my left hand, taking up any play, then add even gradual torq from lever to lever on the rings until set. I do the same every time, and they are pretty much dead on.

Boolit Master
    If you want the very best, IMHO, QD scope mount check out http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/i....html~maindeal
    I've used them on a couple of dbl rifles. Work flawlessly.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison