Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Using bird shot

Boolit Mold

Using bird shot

I have looked here and other places on the www concerning adding bird shot number 7.5,8 or 9 size shot to the molten lead. Some folks think there is a benefit. I have not found anything but general comments like -- add a little, or add a small amount. I have not seen anything like add an ounce to a pound or an ounce to five pounds. I am using divers weights as my lead source.
    What do you think?
    thanks

Boolit Buddy
    "Bird Shot" is not enough information. From Ballistic Products dot com:
    Magnum & Chilled Lead Shot

Lead shot is classified by its antimony alloy content as either chilled or magnum. Antimony is the metal used to harden lead. Antimony is a brittle flaky, crystalline metal with a density of 6.7 grams/cc. Lead, when alloyed with antimony, becomes a harder pellet. As more antimony is added, the overall density of the pellet is slightly reduced.

•Chilled Lead Shot is softer and slightly denser than Magnum lead shot. It is better for short-range applications. Many shooters, like Don Zutz, prefer the increased density of chilled lead for hunting loads. Chilled lead shot usually contains about 2-3% antimony.

•Magnum Lead Shot is harder and slightly less dense than Chilled lead shot. Harder shot is more prone to retain its spherical shape during the firing sequence. Some shooters prefer Magnum's hardness advantage because it will likely pattern more predictably than softer shot. Magnum lead shot usually contains about 4-6% antimony.

A good answer to your question, once you find out what kind of "bird shot" you have is here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators
    Sorry there is no quick and easy answer.
    It also depends on what kind of boolits you are casting. Muzzleloaders use as close to pure lead as can be managed. Rifles generally need a hard alloy, although boolit size is most critical.
    Then there is the question of what is in the diver's weights: it can be anything. The first thing you need to do is test it for zinc with muriatic (pool / hydrochloric) acid. Bubbles indicate zinc, not good for our purposes.
    Read the stickies. They are full of good information and worth the time.
    Jeffrey

Boolit Master

Speaking as a shot shell reloader as well as a boolit caster, with shot going upwards of $40-$50 a bag, it's too darned expensive to melt down for boolits! That is, unless you inherit some or score some for free and don't load shot shells.

Boolit Master

Jeffrey has made an excellent response. It explains much to me except for a warning I received years ago concerning the use of arsenic in the alloy. As I understand it the manufacturers of shot depend heavily on the characteristic of arsenic to assure the ROUNDNESS of the shot by altering the surface tension of the alloy. This would prevent complete FILL OUT of the boolet in the mold. IE, rounded edges.
    I confess that perhaps I've been over cautious in omitting shot in my alloy but I screwed up a big batch a few years ago and cried for months over the loss.
    Perhaps Jeffrey or someone could comment here.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never used shot as a lead source. Wheel weights, linotype, stained glass came have always been too plentiful for me. Even though I do have a quantity of shot: #5 and #8 mixed when 2 bags broke. I've been trying to figure out an easy way to separate it.

Boolit Master

Use a frame with screen mesh to separate the two sizes of shot. Everything that falls through is the smaller #8 shot. #5 will stay in the mesh frame.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I've never used shot as a lead source. Wheel weights, linotype, stained glass came have always been too plentiful for me. Even though I do have a quantity of shot: #5 and #8 mixed when 2 bags broke. I've been trying to figure out an easy way to separate it.
    Too bad you are not closer! We could do some sifting........and drinking!!!! I have a full set of analytical lab screens (used in geological tests) that go from 1/2" all the way down to #80 grit I use for sorting shot and other stuff like that.

But if you can find some screen at a big box that the smaller will fit thru, you are good to go!

banger

Boolit Master

ALSO
    Don't overlook the El Cheapo Chinee stainless steel collenders at Wallys.
    Or elsewhere.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Speaking as a shot shell reloader as well as a boolit caster, with shot going upwards of $40-$50 a bag, it's too darned expensive to melt down for boolits! That is, unless you inherit some or score some for free and don't load shot shells.
    On the other hand, even as a shotshell reloader...don't forget range lead. It isn't always in the form of boolets. A friend and fellow shooter took me to a range where they shoot shotguns, think trap, skeet, and turkey shoots. We had a flat nosed shovel(dust pan) and a broom. A few beers and 30 minutes of time and we had 150lbs+ of "once fired shot". Kind of a pita to clean up but with a funnel and gallon jugs it stores easy till smelting time.
    I can't wait to go back!

In Remembrance

I know of a scrap yard dealer that had a 55 gal. barrel 3/4 full of range salvaged shot. It had every size of shot plus buckshot in the mix along with a liberal amount of dirt and stones. Can`t understand why other casters haven`t jumped on this barrel by now, only been sitting there for about a year? Barrel isn`t on grounds anymore so it went to be re-cycled.Robert

Boolit Master

I scored a few hundred pounds of reclaimed shot a couple of years ago. It was HEAVILY oxidized and not worth trying cleanup for shotshell reloading so it got smelted. Using Bumpo's calculator I add about 2% tin and it makes beautiful boolits! Great fill out and about 12-13 bhn (according to my LEE tester). It was a bear to smelt but perfect for all my casting needs and I'd never shy away from using more, it's good stuff!

Like's said above though, if it's good clean reclaimed or you've inherited new shot, for goodness sake don't melt that down. At the price of shot these days, it would be easy to find someone to trade you their ingots for your shot....win-win.
    Semper Fi.

Boolit Mold
    I found the answer to my question. Ranch Dog said in a post elsewhere that he adds 4oz of magnum shot to ten pounds of ww lead. That was what I was looking for.
    thanks