RepackboxWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tell me about the 500 S&W

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Attachment 100797Same old stuff repeated over and pver.

My deer revolvers start with a 4. But it is still the right bullet and velocity.
    Lol that's exactly what I say about people guns, "If it doesn't start with a 4 it's to small". Like the reporter asked the man, "Why do you carry a .45", & he said, "cause they don't make a .46".

As some smart gun guru said, "you can't ever be overgunned".

Banned

PA was the worst place ever for finding .22 bullets in deer. Seems everyone was shooting at deer with the gun. Off the road???
    It has been different here, finding 6" of arrow healed in the chest cavities from light arrows. Got four that way, almost cut myself a few times reaching in the chest. Amazing how tough deer are.

Boolit Master
    I got a 500S&W Handirifle. I really enjoy it. I think its best use for me is a light carbine whose mouse flatus loads are quite and will shoot in his piggy nose and out the end of his curly tail. When I first got I loaded a Ranier 350 grain on top of a charge of Tightgroup for a reduced load and shot at a target pinned to a foot thick seasoned sycamore log. I shot a nice for me 3 shot group. When I looked at the back of the log there were three 50 caliber holes in the same pattern. The true 500's are the ONLY calibers that will reliably shoot one half groups at at various ranges.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Buddy
    Just comes down to "Need" or"Want". I sure didn't need the .500 S$W, but then again I sure wanted it.

Ghost101

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought myself a BFR in 500 mag, thats the third handcannon in that caliber. Deffinatly a want gun rather than a need gun.

Boolit Mold
    Just reading these posts make me so sad! I have a Raging Bull 454 8 3/8 and I am down to my last 10 factory bullets.

I can't find any cases ( either new or once-fired.) And everyone knows about the powder shortages. Guess if I looked real hard, primers can be purchased.

Anyone know where i can purchase brass? And once brass is located, what powders could be used? I have the 49th edition and take it with me when I visit the usual - wally world, academy, dick's, etc.

I am located in Oklahoma City (Edmond actually) and can drive a reasonable distance if one of you could point me in the correct location.

I can be contacted: walt(dot)r(dot)hodges@gmail(dot)com

Thanks,
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Well, after reading the responses I chickened out on the 500 and bought a S&W 25-5 instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Great choice
    +1 on your choice. The 500 is always there if you decide otherwise. I read recently that John Linebaugh's everyday carry gun is a 4" 25-5 with moderate loads.