WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvelux or Beeswax?

Boolit Buddy

Marvelux or Beeswax?

I have used beeswax for years to flux and recently tried Marvelux. I think I am disappointed. With beeswax I always got a clean looking pot after a lot of smoke followed by a minute of flame. There was a residual smell which wasn't so bad.

When I tried Marvelux I got little smoke but a alot of black glass/crud on top and on sides of furnace. After two hours of this I went back to nature's flux. Did I do something wrong?

What has been your experience with Marvelux? Any suggestions on how to use it?

Thanks in advance...

Boolit Grand Master
    Same experience. Watch out. Marvulux holds water / moisture and has been the source of the most violent explosion I've experienced in my lead pot. I made the mistake of stirring it in the mix. Made me fall off the chair.

All the old-timey bullet casting guides say to flux with Marvelux, but I have no idea how Marvelux got to be accepted as widely as it did. The stuff is miserable.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Unique, you did nothing wrong. If you use Marvelux for a while, the "crud" builds up on the sides of the pot and reduces capacity. Marvelux is hygroscopic, so when I used it I always passed the spoon through the flame before picking up Marvelux. The bubbling made me nervous otherwise. Marvelux is an effective flux, and also doesn't stink up the place as much as some others. Some women complain about fumes in the garage, but there are better solutions than using Marvelux. After years of using Marvelux, I went back to candle wax and realized an immediate increase in percentage of good bullets. Now I use Pat Marlin's California Flake Flux (finely shredded wood chips), the best yet. The above is IMO, Marvelux vs. natural fluxes is a cntroversial subject here.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

I have used bees wax in the past with good results. A while back a I was talking to a friend and he asked me if I had any use for parafin, he had a bunch. I told him yes and he brought me 30 or so lbs of it in big blocks. I dont know what it was used for, but I have been fluxing with it and like it. I guess I'll be using parafin for a while. lol.

I havent tried Marvelux but have heard the same things said here on this thread. Life is too short to try stuff others say is no good.

Swamprat

My vote is anything but..... Marvelux (will rust a cast iron kettle quickly).

I have used potato's, wood sticks & chips, bees wax, candle's, & old motor oil for smelting. Most of my smelting is recovered range Boolits (which has lube on it so it self fluxing. As for my casting (bottom pour) kitty litter always is floated on top of the melt.

I, like most don't understand some books advocate the use of Marvelux other then a plug for a product. Rust on Cast Iron Corn Muffens tray's is the only rust that is good.

Don

Marvelux

I shelved it after the first try. Nasty "product", period.
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

Boolit Master

Ive been casting for 3-4 years now, and have used nothing but marvelux for fluxing my bottom pour. Never had any problem at all,have no trouble making nice boolits, and it seems to work as stated. They wouldnt still be selling it,if it was "no good".

Boolit Master

Beeswax all the way....Providing you don't mind a little flame. I actually use beeswax and liquid alox. The LLA is from culled bullets that i noticed after i lubed them. So i don't intentially add LLA...My pot sits in the garage all the time and never rust.
    [SIZE="6"]Thats not cheddar cheese you see

Boolit Master
    I can't endorse Marvelux. I've got a can around someplace. The only reason I keep it is I figured I'd use it to smelt with. Better than throwing it away.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Smile

Alot of you guys like beeswax: does it have advantages over paraffin?

My experience with cheap candle wax/paraffin is very good. It reduces all the crap to a light dusting of sandlike debris. I have used sawdust and pine resin. I have to say, I like the alchemy of stirring a flaming pot of molten lead and wax. But that's me.

As far as marvelux, I don't like it's water absorbing properties. To be honest, I'd rather spend my hobby money on primers, powder, molds, and electricity to run my leadpot.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

After fifty years of casting, I've finally settled on good old fashioned lard, as a good, economical flux that keeps my pots from rusting. Comes in a brick like a pound of butter, in the supermarket. Armour packing company, is the brand they sell hereabouts.
    Morgan

Boolit Mold

candle wax works for me

Hey again, Im a newbe here and not nearly as experienced most of these contributors. But anyway, I've always picked up candles at garage sales cheaper than what you buy paraffin for at a store. And it still freaks me out when it flashes up. Do you ever get use to that?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used Marvelux for 30 years, and have yet to have a pot rust out, or any visits from the tinsel fairy. It has to be used according to the instructions with one exception......don't skim off the dross. Leave it on top as a oxygen barrier.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    BIG MINUS ONE for Marvelux!!!!!!

I just use chunks of bullet lube!

I think that Pat Marlin's flux bears investigating as well.

Three 44s

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Marvelux

I am by no means an expert, but I am getting alot better. When I use Marvelux my lead seems to be "cleaner". When I use lube or wax I do not skim nearly as much crud off the top of the alloy. I use straight WW, and I melt the lead twice in the cleaning process. Am I over cleaning the lead?? How can lead be too clean?? Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    Folks--I've been using Marvelux for years only because I wanna do my part to keep the environment clean. I have been the "repository" for countless pounds of the stuff just to keep it outta your landfills. So....if you wanna do the right thing...send it to me and we'll all benefit! Send me a PM and I'll direct you to one of the finest and cheapest disposal facilities in the country!--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've tried that, Shuz......no takers yet.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I've got about a film cannister full; it was what was given to me when I first started casting. The guy said it's not much, but'll last forever. He's right.

The first one to PM me his address can have it. I'll even buy the stamp...
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    I dis-like Marvelux for the above reasons, I like lard and candle wax from one of the big pillar candles I droped and dented., then I put a layer of wood shaving on top while I cast. The result is a pot that is fluxed when you add lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast