RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman 5th and Winchester AA for #4 Buckshot

Boolit Master
    Appreciate it Mac. I shot some more rounds down range today. To be honest, it seemed like it shot a bit more centered, albeit high. And seemed as though they may be slower than the book suggests. A box of factory Winchester High Velocity shot side by side seemed noticeably stiffer. I believe they're supposed to be rated somewhere around 12-1300fps. But would have to look at the box to be sure. But I will say this, those factory loads looked like the hulls had been ironed flat at the crimp.

Another thing to note, is that the reason they're shooting high may in fact by of my own fault. These are being shot out of a Mossberg 500 18.5" with a polymer heat shield. Which after a little bit of observation on my end causes the shooter to raise his head a little higher than normal to see the bead. So they very well may shoot spot on. I guess this goes back to knowing your gun.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I wonder how some buffer would work? Like the OO load that I use.

Boolit Master
    I agree, I think a buffer may be in order to keep the pellets from deforming as much, and possibly cut down on wad destruction.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master

JD to be honest with you, as long as it patterns well and shoots where I point it I'm not too worried about what the wad and shot look like - I'm through with them anyway. Adding buffer is a hassle and even though you have a good crimp sometimes you have to have a way to keep it from leaking out - overshot cards and such. I think you have a good load as is.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree. I also don't use buffer where the wad's petals are so short that they don't contain all the buffer, as with the 12R wad. It is said that the buffer may "dig" into the sides of the shell where it is unprotected by the shotcup and impede load movement, which raises pressure. In some cases when so doing the buffer is caked to the shells walls if the shotcup does not contain it, which isn't good in terms of getting out of the way of the wad.

Your wad still has the petals attached and the overpowder cup in good shape, which means it's working correctly. Larger buck is visually harder on a wad, but as long as it's intact and the overpowder cup is not distorted or cut you're good to go.

I'd simply harden the buck by quenching to avoid shot deformation. If using buffer, reduce the load a few grains and add mylar wrap, but this adds complication, may impede load fit due to the mylar, and is probably not worth it for a home defense type load where ranges are measured in feet. To keep buffer from leaking out, use a small blob of beeswax. Roll it between your fingers for a moment to warm it and make it easy to apply to the crimp.

At possible ranges it will be used, 1250 fps MV or 1150 fps MV is of little relevance. I've used bagged buck in #4 persuasion (Hornady) and 30 through 33 caliber balls I cast myself.

Boolit Master
    35, thanks for the input. I'll heed your advice. I thought the load overall shot well. But being new, I don't know what all to look for as far as trouble goes.

Boolit Master
    Well, I think I figured why the Lyman load felt lighter recoiling than the factory load. Because it was quite shy of other loadings I think. According to the link, by the way of about 6gr of powder...

http://stevespages.com/pdf/imr_reloading.pdf

Boolit Master
    If your load doesn't fit right, get a roll crimping tool and use you drill press for a very nice roll crimp.