Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Bass Ackwards?

Boolit Master

Am I Bass Ackwards?

I assume the answer to this question is ...whatever works for you !
    in most pictures of other peoples molds the sprue lever and handles are on the same end. My handles are on opposite ends ( I have a few Lee 6 Bangers)
    I like to take the wood handle off the cam lever and use my "Bully " stick to smack the lever and cut the sprue.
    I guess it just works better for me that way, but is there any specific reasons everyone else is wrong?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Maybe I'm anal, but I don't like to hit my molds to open the sprue plate. I actually like the Lee handle for the opener. Gotta keep your hands off at the wrong time, though. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Personally, given a choice to smack the mould or not, I would choose not to. The Lee 6 cav sprue plate works great without hitting it.

But, as you say, whatever works for you.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That Handle is actually the one thing about LEE stuff I wish a few other makers work copy and improve on .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I have found that when my mold and melt are at the proper temperature, I can open the sprue with just my gloved hand. If I have to strike the sprue, usually the mold is too cool.

Banned

I'm quite certain you aren't Bass Ackwards, he was a founding member here. That should clear up any identity crisis

Gear

Boolit Master
    I guess "Smack" was the improper verbage.
    Yes, when the mold is up to temperature all it takes is a nudge. I suppose the reasoning for going the other way is the handle seems to be in my way when it's over my hands. It also makes it easier to tap the hinge bolt to drop the stickers.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Banned

There is no "wrong" way if it gives you good results. Lots of people mount Mihec and Accurate moulds with the sprue plate tab facing them and the pivot end pointing away, I never understood that one myself, but whatever works. Good to have options, isn't it?

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    I assume the answer to this question is ...whatever works for you !
    in most pictures of other peoples molds the sprue lever and handles are on the same end. My handles are on opposite ends ( I have a few Lee 6 Bangers)
    I like to take the wood handle off the cam lever and use my "Bully " stick to smack the lever and cut the sprue.
    I guess it just works better for me that way, but is there any specific reasons everyone else is wrong?
    That's how I set mine up. Why? Because that's how I saw it in a video on how to operate cramer hollow point molds.

But, as others have said. Try to avoid contacting any part of the mold with a striker. You should be able to cut the sprew with just a gloved hand.

Boolit Master
    I have never been accused of doing things the right way the first time or of being conventional. Many times to my dis-advantage.
    I am usually the one that comes up with an un-convetional solution or answer to everyone elses un solvable problems. My real world paycheck job has me troubleshooting problems every day. I explained my logic on a problem I solved the other day to a co-worker. I could see by the look on his face he was completely befuddled by my explanation. After he had processed my information for 2 days he came back and told me that was the first time anyone had ever explained something in a way he didn't understand but it still worked
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Banned

Are you left handed Blanco? I am, and I have always approached problems from an unconventional (to those in their wrong mind) direction............but then, I am in my right mind now aren't I?

Are you bass ackward?

After cutting your sprue do you rotate your mold sprue plate down when you drop your boolits?
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Banned

No, I am amphibious!

Other then my Lee molds which have the weird handle on them, My sprue plates fact outwards so I can easily pop them open with my hand and drop the boolits.... I tried it with the sprue plate in like on the lee molds, just didnt feel natural..

Doc

Boolit Master

I use the sprue lever like it comes from the factory, wood facing me, and I think it's great. I wish other mold makers would do likewise. If your way works for you, great.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    No, I am amphibious!
    This ^
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Yes you are,,,--- as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it's because the first time I cast , I put the sprue plate hinge away from me. Oriented so the tab was towards the back, the plate is swung forward, leaving the opened plate in front.

Until recently, I used a knocker stick to open all molds except the lee cam sprue plates. After reading how some used a gloved hand to swing it open, I tried it. I always thought I would get a hot hand for my trouble, but not so. (I have some welders gloves, being a former welder helps). I muttered apologies to all my old molds for beating on them! It has to help them last longer.

I may just try to oreint the mold 180 degrees to see if I may like it better. It just never occurred to me there was a different way?¿
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I use my 6 cavity lee molds with the handle out .
    But i am a lefty and i ladle pour ... just easier for me with it out

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I'm quite certain you aren't Bass Ackwards, he was a founding member here. That should clear up any identity crisis

Gear
    Same thing I was thinking
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    That Handle is actually the one thing about LEE stuff I wish a few other makers work copy and improve on .

Jack
    Red River Rick makes a high quality handle/sprue plate for the 4-cav Lyman moulds. I've got one and I move it from mould to mould. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast