Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with the 303 british

Boolit Master

Hunt with a Longbrank No.4 MK1* that I defiled as a kid and recently sporterized it. Killed two deer with it last year, but didn't use cast. I was using Hornady Interlock for the first and and SST for the second. Second deer shot freestanding (deer looking right at me and wouldn't ever look down and closest tree in the hill I was cresting was 10 yards away) at 150 yards plus. Very accurate rifle, good enough to trust your life on, and defintily good enough to take any four legged creatures as well. Just got the lee 312-185 mold and plan to start testing cast on it soon! Haven't shot any Camels here in Florida, but do have my name in for a permit...

First deer shot in Florida with an 150 gr. Interlock being pushed by 4064. Lung shot and traveled about 60 yards.

Picture of my niece shooting that very rifle -

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Quote Originally Posted by johnestmon View Post
    I would be more likely to hunt with mine if one of the major bullet companies would make a good 215gr. soft point RN in the correct diameter.
    Oddly enough IVI produces exactly that for the Canadian Rangers but doesn't sell the ammunition to the public. IVI is the old Dominion Cartridge Co, formerly owned by CIL Industries.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Hello Johnestmon

Heavy J* bullets

http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

303 British (.311 dia.)Spitzers
    125 grains x .035 SPZ........$37.00 c3
    180 grains x .035 SPZ........$39.00
    215 grains x .035 SPZ........$40.50

Round Tips
    180 grains x .030 RT..........$37.00 c3
    215 grains x .030 RT..........$39.00 c3
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Shot a nice elk with a paper patched bullet in my Ruger #1 in 303, last fall. I posted some pictures of the recovered bullet here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...et-on-Big-Game

Quote Originally Posted by johnestmon View Post
    I would be more likely to hunt with mine if one of the major bullet companies would make a good 215gr. soft point RN in the correct diameter.
    Woodleigh bullets in Australia make a 215gr round nose .312" bullet

On Heaven's Range

Yes, and Midway stocks the Woodleigh bullets. They aren't cheap, at around $36 per box of 50, but they certainly have a stellar reputation as game bullets.

I have had no difficulty in killing black bears, moose and caribou with factory-loaded 180-grain bullets from CIL (now IVI) in Canada. If they are still making the same bullet designs, they would be an excellent choice.

I once chronographed the CIL factory 180 load, and found they were leaving a 22" .303 at over 2500 fps. Compare THAT to factory-loaded .30'06 180s, and you may be surprised.

I recovered two of the CIL 180s from a sizable bear killed at about TWO FEET from the muzzle of my #5 Carbine. They both weighed over 140 grains and were found in the hide on the far side of the animal.

Personally, I much prefer the 180 weight, because the 215's trajectory is not nearly as flat. The 180 will work well to at least 200 yards. Still, the 215 has been doing fine for over a hundred years. I used them on a few animals, but the 180 is a better choice in my estimation.

I carried a .303 loaded with those 180s all day, every day. when working exploration in polar-bear country, and never doubted its efficiency on the white critters.

Never did have to shoot one, but the rifle was a welcome companion when *I* might be the quarry. By that time, I had already killed some game with the .303 and had confidence in it. I still do!
    Last edited by BruceB; 07-20-2014 at 06:04 AM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Bruce IVI won't sell to the civilian market.

I have some of theirs that were handed out to the Cdn Rangers and they are excellent cartridges.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

On Heaven's Range

For quite a few years, IVI was selling "Imperial"-brand ammunition to the unwashed civilians. Has that practice stopped now? Who is supplying the huge Canadian market these days?

Those "Kling-Kor" bullets in the different chamberings were pretty decent and reliable bullets; I used a lot of them.

Knowledgeable riflemen of my acquaintance in the Forces always said that the quality of Canadian military ammunition declined abruptly when IVI took over the manufacturing. These were men who knew rifles and shooting, and I believed their accounts.

I still have great respect for the .303, and consider it to be the full equal of the .308-class rounds.... which is a pretty decent neighboUrhood in which to hang around.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Remington, Winchester Hornady, & Federal to name the bigger ones for rifle. I know I am missing a couple of European brands. I don't buy factory rounds. Norinco out of China sells a lot of 223, 9mm 7.62x39, 7.62x25 of the Discount brands. S&B sells a lot of 9MM, 45acp, 40cal & 38spl.

Russian primers are selling for $2.80 per hundred right now which is nice since Federal, Remington Peters, CCI & Winchester aren't shipping up here right now. The ones we get have been great in all my handguns. I have not tried their rifle primers.

Lots of rifle powder available but pistol/shotgun powder are no where to be found.

I found IVI 9MM to be dirty. I have no idea what powder they were loading but it certainly was dirty. Their .303 ammo is quite decent. The Rangers get ball and RN soft point. I am not sure you would want to get hit with any of it. Their brass is excellent for reloading.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 07-20-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Their brass is excellent for reloading.

Take Care

Bob
    Is that brass available in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Is that brass available in the US?
    No and unfortunately unless you can convince the local Ranger Sargent to allow you to grab some I am afraid it all goes back to the Army for recycling purposes.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Sierra 180g 0.311 Prohunter for J# over 40.8g of WC846 (BLC-2). Out of my $40 sporter(with mount and scope) . I took a deer with that load this year and it was effective. Ran 20yds then dropped. I am trying to find a good cast load and have a box of the lee 312-155 2R loaded up to test. One of the best deals out there on sporters. Found 2 MKIII's for $180 total. I passed on a sporter which had a polymer stock and scope mount that was listed at $200. I purchased a M96 Swede instead. I have an aversion of buying more than one gun at a time. Usually the deals come in groups and I shouldn't second guess myself. Scale on target is 1/2" squares.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	303 180prohunter small.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	111420

Boolit Master

first deer I ever shot was with a .303 #5 way back in the early 1960's....
    yes I still use a .303 for hunting....I find the heavy (180 to 200 gr) round nose bullet, either J or cast, gives best accuracy...

and by the way,,,that #5 cost me $35.00 and I bought it in the local grocery store ! Them days are sure gone !
    Last edited by atr; 07-22-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: text
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    first deer I ever shot was with a .303 #5 way back in the early 1960's....
    yes I still use a .303 for hunting....I find the heavy (180 to 200 gr) round nose bullet, either J or cast, gives best accuracy...

and by the way,,,that #5 cost me $35.00 and I bought it in the local grocery store ! Them days are sure gone !
    My dad bought his #4 for about $17 from a Sears catalog IIRC. Wish they were that cheap now! Also wish ammo was more common like it is for the Mosins.

Just about got this one ready to take out for a hunt.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Sporting-rifle
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    I do ,and I always feel a little connection to the great hunters of the past when I take my old enfield out to show it a deer. Call me nostalgic, it's OK! The old Three Oh Three had been there and done it all so I feel privilaged to be in it's company.
    I hear you shredder! I hunted whitetails for my first two years with an old 303 British! It felt so exciting being old enough to carry a piece of history! I loved the sound and feel of it when I chambered a round!

Even hunted around the Carrot River country in Saskatchewan with it! Used to farm some of that country, now I live in Alberta.
    That was in the early 80's, and I still have that rifle! A (REM) manufactured P14 Enfield.

Boolit Master

My first center fire rifle was a Santa Fe Enfield, 19 inch barrel, with a Williams Foolproof rear sight. It was a rust bucket that I cleaned and re-blued. Somehow the bore was great. I shot a couple of thousand WWII MKVII rounds from it at 3 bucks a hundred.

I shot 2 deer with it one with Rem 180's and one with a cast boolit I had bought a 1000 of. The CB stopped DRT (13gr of Red Dot) the Rem 180 made about 30 yards.

Gave the rifle away to my BIL who had no rifle and had just moved to NH in the boonies. He and his 4 sons have killed just about anything you want dead with it, steers, hogs, bears and deer. (maybe a couple of moose). All statues have long past by the way. All with available Rem 180's and the rest with the same load of cast's mentioned above.

The Youngest son/nephew owns the rifle now he is in KY on his farm and he is 42 years old, it is his only rifle still performing when asked.

Boolit Master
    I too am looking at casting for my 303
    thanks to all and to the OP for the valuable info.

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I too am looking at casting for my 303
    thanks to all and to the OP for the valuable info.

Name:	CB in 303.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	113944

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	113945

I sized the boolit above to 314 with a Lee push through. Lube was some home-brewed stuff that started out as RCBS pistol lube [don't ask ]. Load was 16gr of Unique with an AL gas check from a member here and the target was at 50yds.

Boolit Grand Master

It is really hard to beat the advice that Bruce gives on this one!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast