Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sweet lee 12ga slug handload

Boolit Master

ok so let me ask this.

if you were buying new hulls, wads and cards to make a nice lee 1oz slug load what would you buy?
    seems like guys like fiocchi and cheddite hulls.

if i call BPI will they be able to point me in the right direction?

Boolit Master

good wad cup fit...got cards???....All that's left is seeing how they shoot! Gotta have pics too! Wondering if the roll crimp (pretty as it is) is gonna rip the petals off. Ain't it fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    good wad cup fit...got cards???....All that's left is seeing how they shoot! Gotta have pics too! Wondering if the roll crimp (pretty as it is) is gonna rip the petals off. Ain't it fun?
    Man I hope not. I tried crimping them using AA and Remington Nitro and STS but they got stuck in my crimp.

We should form a a group for the search for the most accurate Lee Slug combo. We'll call ourselves the LAST SQUAD:
    Lee
    Accuracy
    Slug
    Team

Who's with me?

BTW, the powders I got to play around with are Longshot, Pro Reach, Red Dot, Herco, and universal clays.

Boolit Master
    I have a question i am using the lyman 525gr pellet type slug(approx 515-517 gr from dental foil) in a Remington buckshot hull(1/4 plastic base wad) and fed 12s4 wads on top of 30 gr of 800x w/ win 209 primer(lyman 5th ed data), the slug sits very low in the wad making crimping "interesting" the one wad i found on the range had the petals stripped off, my shots were wild due to recoil issues(solid recoil pad on my 88 and bad shoulder) and i only had 3 made, i will be making 10 more this weekend but i wonder if the fiber and overshot will work and not cause the psi to jump so i can get a better crimp

Boolit Master

Look at member Hatcreek's thread about the Lyman slugs and that will answer some of your questions. The same for lee or Lyman slugs....gotta have cards in the wads... I think the Helix Cushion Drive 18 wad referenced earlier turned out to be the best fit for Hatcreek.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Look at member Hatcreek's thread about the Lyman slugs and that will answer some of your questions. The same for lee or Lyman slugs....gotta have cards in the wads... I think the Helix Cushion Drive 18 wad referenced earlier turned out to be the best fit for Hatcreek.
    Will do thanks

Any updates?

Boolit Master

I've loaded a couple of hundred just to have on hand. Will sometimes go out and just shoot 20 or 30 of the lighter loads.

Banned

The Winchester AA hulls are tapered like the Remington hulls. The tapered wads from Downrange are real good. For the 7/8 slug I like "The DRA12 Pink is a direct replacement for the Winchester WAA12" For straight wall hulls, the Trap Commander as worked up by Ajay, as noted above, is a good option. The 7/8 slugs seem better/more accurate than the 1 ounce slugs. 7/8 works real good with Red Dot.

Boolit Mold
    here is a great easy to do load I use.

Winchester AA hulls, cheap readily available locally found claybuster wads (petals removed), BPI 12GA 1/4in "donut" wad( great compression and keeps the round ball perfectly centered on the bore). Under a Lee .690 round ball.
    Last edited by flipfew; 10-16-2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: error

Boolit Master

I've been playing hell trying to get the Lee 1 oz. slug to shoot - the goal was pretty simple, hitting a paper plate every time with maximum range determined by my ability to do it every time. Been through a lot of components with no luck at all. I finally rounded up all the components to try sirsloop's load. I gotta tell ya right of the bat the load he detailed with the 7/8 oz. slug met my requirements to 50 yds. (one 3 shot group was slightly over 3"). Firearms season here is close and I have a load I can hunt with. Thank you sirsloop.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Bub
    great to hear it's working!!

Boolit Grand Master

I keep saying it and haven't done it... I better order me one of those 7/8 oz. Lee slug moulds. I have the 1 oz. and it seem to perform okay to 50 yards (haven't shot it further) but not as good as good round ball loads. It may hold up better at longer ranges though and I really have not done any significant load development for it but for $25.00 I can afford a 7/8 oz. mould too. In fact I can't afford not to have one!

Longbow

Real quick question. Why do yall "shoot" for 50 yards? I'm a bow hunter and 50 yards ain't that far with a bow.

Is it that hard to get decent 75-100 accuracy from these?

On a brighter note, I've two different types of sabots loaded using 350 gr .50 cal XTP and 300 gr FTX I'm playing around with. I'll also be testing my 1 oz lee loads.

Powders I'm using is ProReach, Longshot, Unique, Clays, Herc, and Universal Clays. Really looking for Blue Dot to round out my experiment.

Boolit Grand Master

First off I have to say that no-one should be taking shots at animals with a bow past 40 yards. That is not just my opinion, that was a topic at the International Bowhunter Education Program I took.

It really doesn't matter how a good a shot you are or how fast the bow is, a lot can happen between your release and the arrow impact.

Second, yes, it can be hard to get consistent hunting level accuracy from smoothbores. Rifled guns are a different matter.

I have had what I would call rifle like accuracy from several factory loaded Foster slugs and some purchased slugs (Gualandi DGS and BPI AQ slugs in particular) that I loaded but... home cast and loaded slugs are a different story. My feeling is that the wad column/slug support is the biggest issue and it is hard to get the consistency with available components. Note that many slugs come with attached wad columns that the home loaded cannot easily reproduce.

Lyman Foster slugs have given me about the worst accuracy of any and that is using Lyman book load recipes.

Good round ball loads will produce groups of 3" to 4" at 50 yards but much farther and groups start to spread out. By 100 yards they tend to be pretty undependable. Some really good, some not good at all and most fairly large and random with extreme fliers.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    First off I have to say that no-one should be taking shots at animals with a bow past 40 yards. That is not just my opinion, that was a topic at the International Bowhunter Education Program I took.

It really doesn't matter how a good a shot you are or how fast the bow is, a lot can happen between your release and the arrow impact.

Second, yes, it can be hard to get consistent hunting level accuracy from smoothbores. Rifled guns are a different matter.

I have had what I would call rifle like accuracy from several factory loaded Foster slugs and some purchased slugs (Gualandi DGS and BPI AQ slugs in particular) that I loaded but... home cast and loaded slugs are a different story. My feeling is that the wad column/slug support is the biggest issue and it is hard to get the consistency with available components. Note that many slugs come with attached wad columns that the home loaded cannot easily reproduce.

Lyman Foster slugs have given me about the worst accuracy of any and that is using Lyman book load recipes.

Good round ball loads will produce groups of 3" to 4" at 50 yards but much farther and groups start to spread out. By 100 yards they tend to be pretty undependable. Some really good, some not good at all and most fairly large and random with extreme fliers.

Longbow
    I've got several kills on hogs and deer past 50. All recovered.

But I know what my bow is capable of doing if I do my part. I wouldn't hesitate to draw back on an animal if the conditions are right, at distance. But that's just me.

It amazes me on how many ppl lose game at less than 20 yards with a bow. I realize stuff happens, but until then, I'll just knock on wood and keep practicing.

Works for me so to each their own, I guess.

As far has slugs are concern, I'm waiting to borrow my buddies chrono so I can document everything.

Boolit Buddy
    Put me in as a member of the LAST squad.

I just ordered 100 clear fiocci hulls and 250 PT1205 wads from BPI. I have the 7/8 oz lee mold from long ago and a pound of red dot. How much disk stacking will I need to add to get the 7/8 Key Slug to "sit up"?

thanks rc

Boolit Master

PT1205 w/Lee 7/8 oz. slug

rc - Just to give you a visual. Here is a Lee 7/8 oz. slug cast from soww seated in a PT1205 wad.

Attachment 123518

Here is the slug with 1 20 ga. mini nitro card (.070" thick) in the wad under the slug.

Attachment 123519

Hope that helps.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    mac60 thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast