MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Coleman Stove Hot Enough for Cast Pot

Boolit Buddy

Coleman Stove Hot Enough for Cast Pot

Hello,

I've used a 2 burner Coleman stove to melt lead for ingots in a 10lb RCBS cast pot. It takes awhile but it does melt it.

Has anyone used one of those Buffalo Arms 20lb 6" cast pots on the Coleman stove? The 14,000 btu is split across the 2 burners, not for each one. I'd like to heat the 10lb RCBS pot and the 20lb BA pot at the same time to get it done faster.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...57807&CAT=3899

http://www.coleman.com/product/class...0#.UyouVTqPLIU

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I use a coleman 2 burner but not that same model mine was 23.oo or something, it does take a while to heat my 20 pound pot

Boolit Master
    That will work if you're happy with small amounts and have plenty of time... Been there and done that, didn't much like it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to use a white gas Coleman to smelt and it worked fine and reasonably fast with a stainless steel chafing dish pot that held about forty plus pounds of clean lead when done. Easy to grip edge with vise grips to pour in ingot molds. Cover with lid or foil to speed things up. Smelted about half a ton this way using what I had.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    That will work if you're happy with small amounts and have plenty of time... Been there and done that, didn't much like it.
    Thanks,
    Just trying to use what I have. I have access to about 100lbs of range lead. Don't want to put that into my Promelt.

Boolit Master

Make some kind of skirt to go around the pot and the burners. It concentrates the heat and the melt goes faster and smoother.

I smelt w/ a dutch oven on a bug turkey burner.

For casting, small 20 lb pot on a Coleman stove. All I use. It takes a little bit to get hot and melted, but once liquid, it will get too hot in a hurry! Very happy with it.

I have the Buffalo Arms 20 lb. pot and tried using it on a two burner propane camping stove not sure about a gasoline stove. No luck over 8 to 10 lb. Bought a fish fryer for $29.00 from Wall Mart and shazzam, full pot in a jiffy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan Bob View Post
    I have the Buffalo Arms 20 lb. pot and tried using it on a two burner propane camping stove not sure about a gasoline stove. No luck over 8 to 10 lb. Bought a fish fryer for $29.00 from Wall Mart and shazzam, full pot in a jiffy.
    Is this the one from Walmart you have? Doesn't say how many BTU. Is the hose and regulator long enough?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Quart-P...Fryer/19759610
    Thanks

Yup that's it, it was on sale last spring. I could not find any reference to BTU output. The hose and regulator is long enough to set the tank well away from the burner. The stand seems to be sturdy as I stood on it and it did not collapse. The aluminum pot and stuff that comes with it is a rather flimsy affair. For the 20 lb. pot it melts it rather quickly and I really have to throttle it back after I reach full melt to keep it under 700 degrees. On windy days I wrap tin foil around the stand as a wind breaker and that seems to help. Oh yeah, its made in China of course. I'm thinking of a larger pot as 20 lb. seems a bit on the small side now, 40 to 50 lb. as I think it will handle it, we will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by 30yrcaster View Post
    Is this the one from Walmart you have? Doesn't say how many BTU. Is the hose and regulator long enough?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Quart-P...Fryer/19759610
    Thanks

I use a tray like this
    http://www.webstaurantstore.com/voll.../92290942.html

on a white gas Coleman stove. I run the stove full bore. Maybe half an hour to melt it full of scrap lead. It can stay ahead of my cash for metal.

Moderator Emeritus

I have smelted at least 1000lbs with this setup.
    the stainless steel soup pot is 4 qt,
    when just over half full of cleaned up molten alloy,
    I can pour about 40 ingots (one pounder size)

the stove was $5 at a garage sale, the pot was $2 at a thrift store...But I did pay $20 for that vintage cast Iron Ladle (2 lb pour)...I put the wooden extension on it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

The steel grate on camp stoves, holding the pot, wont last long under a heavy pot of lead at full throttle. I sagged two of them to the point of danger. The shield around the pot, does speed things up, but also contributes to the grid failure.
    If ya have more than 20 lbs to melt at a time, go ahead and get a turkey/fish burner.
    Also don't pour molten lead from you cooking pot. the handles aren't designed for that kind of weight, and a dropped, or spilled pot of lead, is a disaster you don't need. Ladles aren't expensive and a SS dipper style kitchen ladle from WalMart is only about $4. It will easily fill two 1lb ingots. Try to find one made in one piece, as the spot welds are flimsy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The steel grate on camp stoves, holding the pot, wont last long under a heavy pot of lead at full throttle. I sagged two of them to the point of danger. The shield around the pot, does speed things up, but also contributes to the grid failure.
    I will second this warning. I made some U shaped supports from 3/8 steel rod and wired them to the underside of the grid so that the weight is transferred directly to the base of the stove and then the table below. This easy modification has contributed greatly to the stability of a heavy pot while stirring and fluxing.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.