Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good all around bullet for both the 45ACP and 45 Colt

Boolit Bub

Good all around bullet for both the 45ACP and 45 Colt

Like to find a good all around bullet for hunting with the 45 Colt and plinking and maybe hunting with the 45ACP. I was thinking something with a FP or WNFP. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy

+1 I would love some responses as well. There are a lot of schools of thought here.

Boolit Buddy
    thats a difficult question, I find the 45 acp really likes no heavier than 230 grain
    but the 230 grain doesn't have a crimp grove for revolverss

This might be worth looking into.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ramer-HP-Rerun
    2AMMD

Boolit Master

I have a NOE 452-230-HP that casts ~230 with the large HP pins and ~250ish as a flat nose. It has a very small crimp groove that seems to hold well enough with what I've shot so far out of the .45 Colt (nothing hotter than 20.0 grains of 2400).

I'd rather have a heavier HP for hunting, but as a flat point it ought to be OK.

Boolit Master
    It'll be interesting to follow this post. I reload both calibers and have been toying with Lee 452-200 RF. I liked the results with the few I reloaded for 45LC, can't get them to feed on my 45acp (may be the gun itself)

I was thinking a tumble lube designed 230 grain. For the revolver load maybe you crimp on the top groove. I'm gonna be trying that out soon myself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the Saeco #954 230-grain flatnosed Cowboy bullet, 4.5 grains of Bullseye in the ACP and 6.5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt. Works for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    It'll be interesting to follow this post. I reload both calibers and have been toying with Lee 452-200 RF. I liked the results with the few I reloaded for 45LC, can't get them to feed on my 45acp (may be the gun itself)
    Both of my 1911s will feed the Lee 452-255-rf, but you have to cram it so deeply into the case that I'm afraid to shoot it at very high velocities.

Vendor Sponsor

For hunting in the .45 Colt chambering, the Lee C452-300-RF is a gas checked design with a wide flat nose that is an extremely efficient killer. The GC allows the use of softer alloy than coww if you favor some expansion, but mostly these are used at velocities that completely penetrate the game, so you have an entrance wound and an exit wound to bleed out of, with a good sized wound channel between the two.

With a wide flat nose like this boolit has, a hollowpoint design is completely unneccesary, as it does terrific damage to tissue just as cast. These really shine in carbines and Ruger revolvers where you can load them to +P+ pressures.. Plenty of load data out there for this boolit, as it is a favorite in many circles.. These can weigh in at 320gr with gas check, depending on the alloy you choose, Lyman #2 for example will put them right at 320gr.

Lee also makes a mold for a 255gr RF which looks much like the 300gr RF and a lot of folks like this lighter wide flat nose for both hunting and general shooting.

I might also add that it is fairly difficult to find decent hunting ammo with heavier boolits in the .45 Colt caliber, and will be quite expensive when you do find it. The win goes to the handloader who casts or has access to cast boolits of various designs and is able to pick and choose the boolit to suit the game animal. This Lee boolit would be devastating on hogs and bear in the harder alloys, yet able to expand if loaded in the softer alloys and driven at moderate to brisk velocities.

I don't think it practical to hunt out just one boolit for both calibers, this will basically hogtie the .45 Colt into a lighter boolit with enough ojive to cycle in an ACP, it might as well be a .44 Special at that point. Choose a boolit that does it's best in each caliber and develop a load that is accurate, don't try to compromise two already established and very fine cartridges into using the same boolit.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-19-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pearcetopher View Post
    thats a difficult question, I find the 45 acp really likes no heavier than 230 grain
    but the 230 grain doesn't have a crimp grove for revolverss
    That is not exactly correct. I'm casting a 230 hp from NOE and it does have a crimp groove. .452 230gr. HP [.20] RG2 cavity PB
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Made in U.S.A.
    wildchild2010

That was kind of the idea behind our 452 230Gr. HP
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=251
    Its worked out great for me in both 45 Colt and ACP

Shameless plug
    Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Rcbs 45-230cm, mihec 45-225

I'd trust what swede said too

And a fine mold it is Swede. One of my favorites for my Ruger Colt.45's
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master

My Accurate 45-230F could conceivably be crimped over the front of the slight SWC shoulder on a .45 Colt, but the 45-230X seems like it was tailor-made for somebody with your problem.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I like the current production Lyman 452424. It seats deeply in the ACP but getting 800 feet isn't difficult. Some autos may not feed it but most of mine down the years have without problem.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Years ago, my Dad bought an 1899 Colt and wanted me to load him some rounds. At the time, I only had the Lee 452-228 1R and the 452-200 SWC. The RN boolit worked fine for him. Since then, I've gotten a Vaquero in 45 Colt, and have picked up a few more molds. I have yet to try the 452-255 RF in my 1911 but I have read many have done so successfully. I would think the 452-230 TC would be a good choice and in a lighter boolit the 452-200RF would also do well. The latter has a crimp groove if you feel you need one. I didn't when using the 228 1R in the revolvers because you can crimp into the boolt if need be. Case mouth tension was always good enough to prevent set back in the auto or boolit jump in the revolver. For heavier loads in the revolver I do crimp more. Over time, I have probably collected more molds for 45 than any other caliber I shoot. You will likely collect more than 2 even if you get one for the auto and another for the revolver. It's an obsession and there is no cure!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I use the Saeco #954 230-grain flatnosed Cowboy bullet, 4.5 grains of Bullseye in the ACP and 6.5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt. Works for me!
    This bullet feeds in every 45 ACP pistol I have tried...and shoots perfect in 45 Colt....and 45 AR...I wish it was available in a six-cavity mould.

Boolit Master
    I made up some thumpers for the 1911 once using a 240 gr SWC and they fed great in my gun, but it's throated six ways from Sunday. If you can get one of the NOE molds, that boolit was designed to be 'ambidextrous'. A tumble-lube TC type, crimping in the top groovelet as stated above, would be good too. But don't be afraid to get more molds!

Boolit Master
    Lyman 452423 or one of the clones. A Keith bullet of appoximately 235 grains.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast