Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MiHec 9 mm NO LUBE GROVE mold for alternativ coating 135 or 125 grain

Boolit Buddy
    So any advantage of FB over BB?

I'm going to swag my barrels. When is the deadline?

Right now I'm strongly leaning towards two molds

135 grain BB 0.356 (bigred rec)
    135 grain BB 0.357 BB (Balta)

I shoot Sig P226, Walther P99 and sometimes G19. So that should cover my bases? w/ and w/o powder coat? Will swag barrels and report back.

Thanks,

Boolit Buddy
    Balta/anyone, I don't have experience with MP aluminum molds, but I have some of his brass molds. Everything always seems to cast out .001 to .002 larger then the given mold diameter for me. I typically use WW alloy or a little extra tin with it and typically size to .358 for my 9mm. From this weekends experience with powder coat it seems to add a fair amount also. This is why I switched to .356 dia. When I get too large of a diameter it seems to create fins on the base. I keep debating between the options. I'm thinking a BB would help with material relief when sizing if I get to large. I want to avoid having to size before PCing. Do you have some direction to ease my mind on which would be the way to go?

Boolit Master

Changed my order to the 135 BB. If there is any chance of a FB I would still prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED View Post
    Balta,
    What diameter would you expect them to drop using 50/50 with 2% Tin. Both my sigs slug at .355. They shoot .356 boolits very well. I am thinking the .357 diameter may be a better choice for me.
    Ron
    My experience with MP Mold (i have 8 pcs ,5 aluminum) is that it cast .001 or .002 over diameter.I have cast with many difrent alloys and never didnt get the bulet under diamater marked at mold.But ..aloy and temp can make that happend.I like to have bigger bullet than i can resize i dont know what to do with undersized...

Quote Originally Posted by cs86 View Post
    Balta/anyone, I don't have experience with MP aluminum molds, but I have some of his brass molds. Everything always seems to cast out .001 to .002 larger then the given mold diameter for me. I typically use WW alloy or a little extra tin with it and typically size to .358 for my 9mm. From this weekends experience with powder coat it seems to add a fair amount also. This is why I switched to .356 dia. When I get too large of a diameter it seems to create fins on the base. I keep debating between the options. I'm thinking a BB would help with material relief when sizing if I get to large. I want to avoid having to size before PCing. Do you have some direction to ease my mind on which would be the way to go?
    All of my mp molds (8 pcs,5 alu) cast same like yours,.001 or .002 over diameter..powder coating to my bullets adds .003 to .004 ,and i size after powder coating ,BEFORE the lead reach full hardness.I use .357 bullets for all mine 9 mm (G17,G19,CZ 75SP01)Only time when i have problems with sizing is when the alloy was to hard (i think over 18 Bhn and striping of powder coat) I don't think its smart idea to have bullets that have smaller diameter then barrel BEFORE powder coating.You need to have lead in that diameter,coating don't helps in "gripping" the rifling's.So in your effort to avoid sizing you risk to get a mold that will cast you undersized bullets.Its always better to have mold that cast big enough bullet.BTW i use POLYESTER based powder ,that only i have available hire..many others use EPOXY based powders and that can be a reason for issues with sizing,epoxy its much harder..DOnt be afraid of sizing)

Boolit Buddy
    Ok I'm making one last alteration. please make it 1 mold 135 BB @ .357. Sorry for any inconvenience. Better make them quick I might change my mind again .

Ok I'm making one last alteration. please make it 1 mold 135 BB @ .357. Sorry for any inconvenience. Better make them quick I might change my mind again .
    No problem,changed..I think this will be a universal choice ,one with you cant go wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by wacki View Post
    So any advantage of FB over BB?

I'm going to swag my barrels. When is the deadline?

Right now I'm strongly leaning towards two molds

135 grain BB 0.356 (bigred rec)
    135 grain BB 0.357 BB (Balta)

I shoot Sig P226, Walther P99 and sometimes G19. So that should cover my bases? w/ and w/o powder coat? Will swag barrels and report back.

Thanks,
    Deadline? hurry up...

Boolit Buddy
    Balta,
    What diameter would you expect them to drop using 50/50 with 2% Tin. Both my sigs slug at .355. They shoot .356 boolits very well. I am thinking the .357 diameter may be a better choice for me.
    Ron
    Ok change mine to .357 also then. better safe than sorry. thanks

Ok change mine to .357 also then. better safe than sorry. thanks
    changed..goal is to be happy at end

Boolit Buddy
    What's the diff between 125 grain and 135 grain? Pros / cons?

Boolit Buddy
    What's the diff between 125 grain and 135 grain? Pros / cons?
    I think it is more of a personal preference. The choices for this buy is either 125 FB or 135 BB. With your choice of diameter listed in the first post. As far as bases I like flat bases when using a lubrisizer, but you won't need one for this because it doesn't have lube grooves. I'm thinking either one will work fine. The bevel base is so minor that I'm guessing it may become flat once finished sizing depending on what you do in your process.

Boolit Master

I find the heavier bullets to be more accurate. I assume it's because they have more bearing surface in the barrel.

I think it is more of a personal preference. The choices for this buy is either 125 FB or 135 BB. With your choice of diameter listed in the first post. As far as bases I like flat bases when using a lubrisizer, but you won't need one for this because it doesn't have lube grooves. I'm thinking either one will work fine. The bevel base is so minor that I'm guessing it may become flat once finished sizing depending on what you do in your process.
    BB is small but it still there after sizing ,it will not become flat...

Boolit Mold
    I'll take a 135 bevel base .358

Rommelbmk (at) comcast.net

Boolit Buddy
    Quick question in my continued quest to determine if this is the mold I need...I have a Lubrisizer (1) - can I still use it to resize without lubing since they will be powdercoated? Please forgive my questions but this will be my first go with powdercoating and I can't afford to buy the wrong mold for this right now :/

I also want to slug the barrel of my P226 unless they're consistent enough that I can just go with .356 with confidence...of course will be powdercoated!

Many thanks, all.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes you can use lubrisizer. Just more time consuming than push through sizer. I use my lamII just for a few calibers I can't get push thrus for. I size mine. 356 then PC coat and size again. But you can just cast , PC then size to save some time. My p226 and my p938 both slug at.. 3555
    Last edited by BIGRED; 04-03-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Great - thanks, Bigred!

Vendor Sponsor

25) “Smoke4320”-135 grain BB .358

Please change dia to 357

Thanks
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    25) “Smoke4320”-135 grain BB .358

Please change dia to 357

Thanks
    Done!!

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast