Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Converting a S&W 64-7 to .327 Federal

Boolit Grand Master
    While you're worrying about the chamber wall thickness of a K-frame 32/327, remember that this is the same cylinder that has been used with six 38 caliber holes for well over 100 years. Cylinder strength should not be a problem!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    While you're worrying about the chamber wall thickness of a K-frame 32/327, remember that this is the same cylinder that has been used with six 38 caliber holes for well over 100 years. Cylinder strength should not be a problem!

Froggie
    I thought we were discussing "L" and "N" size frames, the "K" is a different size form these is it not?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. william

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    I thought we were discussing "L" and "N" size frames, the "K" is a different size form these is it not?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. william
    Sorry, CW... I didn't realize we had drifted so far away from the original idea of the thread (lo these 10+ pages ago) when we were talking about making a stainless K-framed 327 Fed Mag. Now that I see you are on 25 cal cartridges, I would say that if you want to go for the old War Between the States concept of "load it on Sunday and shoot all week" you could go with a custom N-frame cylinder and bore at least 10 and probably 12 chambers if you want a 25 WCF or something similar. On the other hand, if you are going with something like the old German 6.5 X 27 (basically a 38 Spl necked down to 25 cal) I would guess you could make an 8 shot N-frame for that, maybe one or even two more. Be aware that this is all estimation off the top of my head, but if you are really interested it should be easy to calculate. On the other hand, making that cylinder (and extractor star) from scratch would be a J-O-B! Alternatively, you could use an L-frame 686+ and sleeve or bush the chambers and have a 7-shooter with the 25(?)

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Didn't S&W make a few 8 shot .357's on the N-Frame within the last few years?

You might be able to safely make a ten shot .25 out of one. Although having owned a Model 28, I think the size of the cartridge vs. the size of the gun would be getting well past the ridiculous stage by then. Kind of like a large ring 98 Mauser in .22LR.

Speaking of ridiculous, does anybody else remember the article in Guns and Ammo in the late seventies about the top break Model 29 in three calibers? .22 LR, .357 Magnum, and 3" .410 in the center IIRC.

Robert

Froggie nailed it, THREAD DRIFT!

Boolit Master
    OK, I think I got the Answers I needed to my Curiosity Questions on Cylinder sizes and Frame sizes, so now back to the basic thread subject:
    Is anyone else interested in the current Amazon.com listing of packages of ".327 Federal Magnum Empty Brass"?

"327 Federal Magnum Starline Brass (100 New Cases)
    by Starline Brass

1 customer review

Price: $33.98 + $3.99 shipping

Only 14 left in stock.
    Ships from and sold by The Brass Man.

• Starline Brass is known for it's quality and consistency.
    • Used by many of the top competitive shooters.
    • Uniform case wall thickness.
    • Tight wall concentricity.
    • This is not primed or loaded ammunition."

I bought two lots for a total of 200 cases to use as parent brass for my .32 Long/.32 Long Colt Experiments as it is cheaper than buying .25-20SS basic Brass from Buffalo arms, although more work to reform down to the diameters I need.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    For those wondering about the quality of this brass, I bought 1000 rounds of it in connection with Project 616 and am more than satisfied with the quality. It seems to be consistent and although mine came bulk packed, it arrived in good shape and didn't even have (the expected) out-of-round dinged mouths. This brass gets Five Froggie Stars!

Froggie

Boolit Master

If you're after maximum capacity in a revolver, choose a caliber that will let you get 8-10 rounds (say, .25 ACP or 5.5 mm Velo Dog -- or a wildcat hybrid, like a straight-walled, reduced rim .25-20) into a standard frame cylinder -- and then bore another ring of chambers on a smaller ring diameter. Set up the ratchet and bolt so the cylinder advances "half a step" on each cycle, work out a rocking firing pin (one pin tip will hit the cylinder between chambers while the other fires the round that's aligned) and put a double barrel on. This has been done commercially, long ago -- in fact, I've seen photos of an example that used half as many chambers on the inner ring to get (as I recall) fifteen shots. Can't say how they managed the ratchet and bolt for that one (the outer ring was even spaced), but it apparently worked.

Boolit Master
    I vaguely remember reading about a Revolver form the "civil War" era that was a 'nine shot, with a Shotgun chamber in cylinder center line surrounded by Pistol Cartridge chambers and it had a 'double barrel', one above the other. I do not remember the Maker's name nor its area of origin though.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    You're probably thinking of the LeMat revolver. There is or was a reproduction made in Italy and marketed by Navy Arms Co.

Froggie

Boolit Master

I would think if they can shoe horn 7 .357's into the L frame and have such thin walls but with the notches cut between the chambers then a K frame .327 seven shot shouldn't be much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I would think if they can shoe horn 7 .357's into the L frame and have such thin walls but with the notches cut between the chambers then a K frame .327 seven shot shouldn't be much of a stretch.
    My point exactly! I'm sure that someone who has the creativity, skills and equipment like Crank should be able to pull it off easily.

Greetings from Dahlgren!

Yes, I have been laying low on the forum. I am a bit preoccupied learning the intricacies of the 57MM MK110 cannon, so I haven't spent much time on the computer. Not the best, but a few pictures to get a taste of this place.

Aft view,

Side view,

My pet, which will soon be gone.

The mighty 16"/50cal., enough to bring a tear to your eye.

There is much more to see, but I will take more pictures as I get time.

Mark

Boolit Bub
    Is that 57mm one of the BOFORs cannons?

If you explained this already I apologize.

War Eagle,
    You are correct, that is the Bofors gun, we use it on the Coast Guard cutters and the Littoral Combat Ships (LCS). I am quickly warming up to this design, one of the other students and myself removed the breechblock in about 15 minutes taking our time. Considering it takes about 8 hours to get a breechblock out of a 76MM on a good day, I really like this design. It will fire at the rate of 220rds per minute and has a programmable projectile that can perform a number of functions. If things work out, I may get to see one fired during my last week of class. You just have to love things that go BOOM!

Mark

Boolit Bub
    Haha...Which LCS are you referring to? The Marinette built ships or the Independence/Coronado?

Boolit Grand Master
    Now that's what I call a bench rest gun... for a very large bench! I'm guessing that casting for that bad boy is a bit of a challenge, though. You probably need a really large pot and dipper, and handling the mould is probably a strain as well.

Froggie

The Little Crappy Ships, er um, I mean Littoral Combat Ships are both designs and all of them are stationed in San Diego. As for casting, you will spend a considerable amount of time melting enough lead for a pour. I am headed to a gun show in Hampton Roads tomorrow, so I wonder what will catch my eye. It is amazing how bad the traffic is here, considering people accuse Cali of having such horrible traffic, I will take San Diego traffic any day. However, after visiting one of the local stores, I left depressed knowing if I lived in America, I would have about 6 suppressors for my collection. I was amazed at the increased following for NFA firearms.

Mark

Boolit Bub
    I happened to work on the Independence and Coronado. Before and after launch of the Independence, a brief period before launch on the Coronado. I have been working on the LCS program for about 8 years now which is where I recognized the cannon...I tend to not think of the ships as crappy.

Boolit Master
    IF you are thinkin gof the 16"x50cal one, the projectiles, I believe ran from a little over 1600lbs to over 2500lbs depending on type, Crank can chime in with the actual values.

I got "Close up and personal" with dual enclosed 3"x50 mount on the USS NEWELL (DER322) in 1961-1962 came away with "healthy Respect" and a medical record entry that said I was refused requested hearing protection by both my division Officer and the Commanding Officer. So now I have Service Connected Bilateral Hearing Loss and Constant Tinnitus in both ears.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Best Regards