Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hornaday Dies

Hornaday Dies

Will Hornaday dies work in a Lee press ?

Boolit Master

If your press has standard 7/8" threads, they sure will.

In Remembrance
    Did lee ever make a press that standard dies didn't work in??

Seeing I'm new to this and don't know that's why I asked

Boolit Master
    Wrongway,

Most of my recent die purchases have been Hornady.

Only thing I don't like about them is the "ZIP" threads on the decapping stem and just a bit of tightening on the lock nut prevents the slippage.

Other then some proprietary products, such as found in the old Lyman/Ideal "tong tools" and the dies used in the Dillon Square Deal B, the dies are almost all made in the standard 7/8" size.

Welcome aboard, and remember there are very few dumb questions.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Thank you appreciate the helpful answer. I'd rather ask a question first then buy something that does'nt work and ruin a press by trying to fit the dies.
    Everyone on here has been real helpful by stirring me in the right direction or sending me things

Boolit Master

I use Lee dies in Hornady presses and Hornady dies in Lee presses. Sure they will work.

My preferred mix of dies for rifle in my Hornady LnL AP's are, (1) decapping & sizing - Lee or Hornady, (2) powder Lee Pro Auto Disc, (3) Lee Universal Neck Expanding die - sometimes with custom expander spud that mimics the M-die, (4) Hornady Seating Die, (5) Lee Factory Crimp die.

I also use Hornady dies in my Lee 3 & 4 hole and Classic turret presses as they all share the same thread size and pitch. The possibilities for mix and match are just about limitless.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

That's very good to know. When I was in Cabela's Saturday the Hornady rep was giving 250 bullets with each die set but at that time I didn't know they would work in a Lee press.
    Thank you

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    Will Hornaday dies work in a Lee press ?
    Maybe.....

If you have a Lee classic cast turret press, the dies are mounted very close and the Hornady locknuts are too large. I replaced the Hornady locknuts with the much smaller Lee locknuts.
    The Lee locknuts are about a buck each.

Jack

Boolit Master
    But the hooky Lee lock rings, don't. Lock that is. Unless you put two of them together without the "O" rings..

I know, an Ol'Coot's opinion, but one of the many reasons I don't buy a lot of Lee tools.

I buy Hornady or RCBS lock rings to replace Lee "lock" rings.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

In Remembrance
    Wrong way, I am no expert either, but lyman made the 310 dies that will not work and they made at least one press that uses only the 310 dies. I think the lee presses have always been for the standard 7/8 dies. I don't know if any other manufacturer made any odd ball size ones in the past, but probably did at one time or other. I have ch, holleywood,lyman,herters,bair,rcbs, lee, redding and hornady that are all standard dies. I do have a few of the 310 dies that doesn't fit any of my presses, but are for use with the tong tools.

Boolit Master
    Lyman makes an adapter [at least they used to] that allows you to use the 310 dies in any press that has 7/8 x 14 threads.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN