Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Cold mold…a good thing???

Boolit Master

Cold mold…a good thing???

Any of ya'll got a mold that runs better cold? Weird to me but I have a Lee mold (30 cal) that gives me fits when temp is up. It sticks and gets whiskers on the gas check shank. I've dialed the pot back to the point of getting lumps. BUT, If I run the lead at the temp I usually use and pressure cast from a stone cold mold, it's drops free and makes perfect boolits! Even the weights are consistent. It's a bit aggravating but I've had to get into the habit of juggling it with other molds. I've been casting with it today and I can cast 3 throws from a 45 cal mold and one from the Lee. I set the Lee (empty) on an aluminum plate in between casts.
    It's not REALLY a problem as long as I'm casting other things too and let's be honest, theres ALWAYS something else that needs casting.

No matter how much I learn about this hobby, there's always curve balls coming in.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Any of ya'll got a mold that runs better cold?
    Not me. Mine seem to do better on the hot side. (but I like brass)
    I can get useable shooters out of a cold mold, but they got wrinkly noses.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I can take the mold from the box, pour lead in it and get a wrinkle free boolit. Strange but hey, go with it right?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Any of ya'll got a mold that runs better cold? Weird to me but I have a Lee mold (30 cal) that gives me fits when temp is up. It sticks and gets whiskers on the gas check shank. I've dialed the pot back to the point of getting lumps. BUT, If I run the lead at the temp I usually use and pressure cast from a stone cold mold, it's drops free and makes perfect boolits! Even the weights are consistent. It's a bit aggravating but I've had to get into the habit of juggling it with other molds. I've been casting with it today and I can cast 3 throws from a 45 cal mold and one from the Lee. I set the Lee (empty) on an aluminum plate in between casts.
    It's not REALLY a problem as long as I'm casting other things too and let's be honest, theres ALWAYS something else that needs casting.

No matter how much I learn about this hobby, there's always curve balls coming in.
    All 3 of my new style lee 30 caliber molds want to run cold . I do not pre heat them any more . Run the pot cool , and lay the mold on a lead ingot while the puddles harden . Marvin

Boolit Grand Master

Is it a new 2-cav? My Lee six-cav moulds like to run hot & fast but the 2-cav does seem to like to run a little slower. Interesting. May have to slow it down a little more. If my mould is happy I'm ecstatic!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance

Just further proof of the often seen advice from experienced casters that each mould is a law into itself. What works for some mould doesn't work for others.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Just further proof of the often seen advice from experienced casters that each mould is a law into itself. What works for some mould doesn't work for others.
    And THAT can make a fella yank his hair out sometimes!!!

Boolit Buddy

I have a Lee 500 3R 45-70 mold that does the same. I use a wet sponge to cool it down.

Boolit Master

Dean - You've discovered the secret. Do what works best. If you're getting good, wrinkle free, consistent boolits - keep doing it. Enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I've long believed that rifles are individuals, it seems quite possible the same is true of moulds.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have an Accurate Moulds 310 Cadet mould that needs to be run cool to get proper fill out especially around the heel.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

You ever notice boolit moulds are a lot like women. They all got different likes and dislikes but if you treat them just right they will usually respond in a positive way. Finding out what they like is the hard part....
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in PA View Post
    I have a Lee 500 3R 45-70 mold that does the same. I use a wet sponge to cool it down.
    Ditto... on 3 different molds..... pour, wait, drop, then make some steam from a wet rag. They come out smooth and shiny for me
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron in PA View Post
    My 2 cavity molds are like that too. I get used to going full speed with the six bangers and really have to make myself slow down and cool the 2 cavity jobs with a wet sponge or I get all kinds of rejects.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Master

I store each mold with a note that lists all its idiosyncrasies.
    It might be a year or two before I use that mold again and I will not remember.
    This saves a lot of time "figgering out what it likes" - again.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    That's a darn good idea. I might forget in 20 minutes if I don't write everything down....
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Good point. I have a "Casting Notes" page in each section of my loading notebook and each time I use a mould I make notes about that session. Wish I'd started doing that when I started casting, I've had to "re-learn" a few moulds' likes and dislikes.