RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith Training

Boolit Buddy

Gunsmith Training

Just wondering what is a good way to learn some gunsmithing. The reason I asked is I ran into an older gentleman recently who wants out. He said he is looking for somebody to teach to take his place. He said there are very few younger guys in the area that do gunsmithing, and he thinks there would be plenty of work. (I am 28) Is this a good idea to pursue? I wouldn't make it my main livelihood; I would do it more evenings and weekends. I do have an interest in guns, and am mechanically minded. So what say ye? What are some things I should be looking at? I am scheduled to meet with him in e few days to talk about it. Any particular things I should discuss with him? This guy is a very nice older gentleman, and seems to know his stuff. We have several gunsmiths in the area that are good when it comes to replacing parts. i believe this guy is the next level, and said he would be willing to teach me all he knows. So have at it! Am I crazy for considering it?

Boolit Master

If he will take you under his wing, jump at the opportunity. I have been working with a guy who's "been there, done that". He has had tons of training at the benches of most of the manufacturers you can think of, and is a warranty station for most of those. This is a one day a week thing for me and I am having so much fun and learning new things all the time. The best information you will get are the little tidbits of secrets that make this craft seem magical to the average shooter. Just today a customer handed me a beautiful Weatherby rimfire rifle that he almost gave up on because it wouldn't stop jamming. A little cleaning and repairing some firing pin damage to the chamber and it was functioning as new. About 20 minutes of my time and I had performed what for him was a miracle. Moments like this are what do it for me. I also have fun with the guns brought in by someone who said to himself, "Hey, I can be a gunschmidt too!" I am handed the shell of the gun and a bag of parts and asked to reassemble it. I just smile and give a chuckle.

When you speak with him, just talk about your passions and why you want the job. Remember, this is not a clock in, clock out kind of job, it is a labor of love so let that come across in what you say and ask. If you have built a gun or two, by all means bring them along so he can see your work.

Boolit Master

Old Proverb: Nothing ventured nothing gained. At this point it will only cost you time but I would say don't waste his time if it doesn't interest you enough to do it full time at some point.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

go for it!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Love Life
    Real gunsmiths are a dying breed. Parts assemblers are so blah. Jump at the chance.

I would do about anything to be in your shoes. I would probably drop everything in my life to do that.
    Using Tapatalk

I would take it in a heart beat. I wanna go to school for it but it takes way more money then I would ever have.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Remember, once it turns into a job, it isn't nearly as much fun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    It would be a great way to learn but you have to ask yourself a lot of questions on what you want to do there is a lot more to a business than working on guns are you prepared to do all the paperwork, deal with customers, money ect get your ffl nights and weekends? when are you going to shoot your stuff? How soon does he want out its not like your going to be a custom smith in a year and how much does he want on buyout? I worked for a guy once the same idea when the time came his buyout was completely out of line

When its time to make it a living it becomes less about working on stuff and more about running a business

In Remembrance

My gunsmith has been training me now for the last three years and I am still humbled by what I don't know. He is one of the dieing breed who are not parts replacers but actual smiths that can and do make parts. He also does some custom work and builds custom BR guns. I am privileged also to call him FRIEND. I was told just the other day that the next gun I build he will not help me with. I think this might be my graduation exercise. I have fixed a few for him while he was busy with others and gotten his approval so I must be learning something. BTW he just renewed his ffl by my urging he is 76 and is only keeping it for a few of us friends. I hope to pass inspection soon and get my own ffl and set up as small shop.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy
    sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime. The chance to learn firsthand from the experience of someone so skilled is much more valuable than can be obtained in any school. He must see something in you to be willing to make such an offer.

Boolit Buddy
    I really don't know what he sees in me! I actually only met him once! I took my 260 over to get some work done. But he knew I have an interest in gunsmithing. It was kind of amusing because before I knew it, he was showing me some of his casting stuff, swaging things etc. I spent more than an hour there! One thing I am really excited about is learning how to do bluing. He did it for years, but finally stopped because of his lungs. But it sounds like he did a serious amount of it, and stood behind his work, and had plenty to do. As far as I know, there is basically nobody around my area that does bluing anymore. Most guys ship it out.
    jonas302, Thanks for that advice. That is some good stuff to be thinking about and also talking with him about. That whole thing about buyout was something I was wondering about. Also, should I be offering to pay him for his training me, or is it generally more of a thing where he just "takes me under his wing" idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok so I was over there several hrs today! He wants nothing for his time. He has some health issues and he said he doesn't know how much time he has. He wants to teach me all he knows. As far as his business is concerned, he really is just a guy who fixes guns. He doesn't sell any guns. He wants nothing for me taking on what he has left off when he passes. It really does seem like an awesome opportunity! He also is not just a replace parts kind of guy. He makes some of his own parts. What he did, was give me several books to read, and said to read them, and get in contact with him. If I still want to go forward, I will be buying some of my own tools. The next step he wants me to do is build a gun. He has the action, and barrel to do one. He would have me cut the threads, set the headspacing, etc. and we would build a gun. All this is sounding pretty good to me!

Boolit Buddy
    You will be sure to pick up tons of knowledge that way best of luck to you

Boolit Grand Master

I would jump at the chance. You will not be out of anything other than time. Try and figure out what you want to specialize in. Additional training as a machinist can be very beneficial.

One word of advice on getting him to maximize the quality of training he gives you. Ninety percent of the effort goes into the last ten percent of completing the job. Try your best to understand what his expectations are and ALLWAYS exceed them when you complete your tasks. The more serious you are the more serious he will be about providing quality training.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I would take it in a heart beat. I wanna go to school for it but it takes way more money then I would ever have.
    If you want to go to school and can't afford it take a serious look at the National Guard or Active Duty Military. On the Guard side I would recommend the Air National Guard and for Active Duty I would recommend the Air Force or the Navy.

The GI bill is kind of limiting as to which schools you can go to for trades like gunsmithing. Also tuition assistance has been reduced by 25%. While the military is a good way to do that free schooling opportunity, be cautious of the brain cells you might kill off while serving. I feel stupider every day I'm in with some of the people I'm around.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Agree VERY strongly with M-Tecs. ... felix
    felix

Do it.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

I spent a huge sum of money going to gunsmith school. I learned alot but feel I would be further along that road if I had been able to work under a master after school. Those who have undergraduate degrees know that once you have your diploma it is time to start learning how to do your job, by doing it.

Take the man up on his offer. He can likely teach you everything I learned in 16 months at school plus a whole lot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast