MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Lee Hardness Test Kit Vs Cabine Tree Tester

Boolit Bub

Lee Hardness Test Kit Vs Cabine Tree Tester

I am wondering what the opinion of the Castboolit members is for easy of use and accuracy between the Lee Hardness Tester Kit and the Cabine Tree Tester.

Is the Cabine Tree worth the extra money?

Thanks for any advice.

Boolit Mold
    I don't have either one, but from everything I have read about the Cabine Tree, Lee, and Saeco testers, the Cabine Tree is the one on my "to buy" list.

There are some good posts on here about both testers. The search function works well for that. That's how I got a lot of information on them before I decided on the Cabin Tree.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have both and the Cabine is worth every penny more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to tie up your press. The Lee is hard to use due to juggling the little scope around. Lighting is critical. If you wear glasses you will NOT be able to see thru the Lee very well. It is NOT portable...I take my Cabine with me to the scrap yards!

That said, I have compared the results and they are very close. I can do 6 tests with the Cabine in the time it takes to get one read from the Lee. And you should do at lease 4 samples on each ingot.

If you can afford it, buy the Cabine......you will NEVER regret it!

bnagerjim

Boolit Bub
    Thanks bnagerjim! I didn't think about portability. If the Cabine is 6 to 1 speed wise over the Lee then the Cabine is worth it right there. I watched some videos on Yotube and didn't pay attention to test times.

Boolit Grand Master

I've only owned the Cabine Tree, but it is worth the cost to me. Its a quality tool, and is easy to use. The learning curve is very short and the results are repeatable. Lightman

Boolit Grand Master
    If you plan to use it a lot, spend the money and get the Cabine Tree.

I have the Lee, use it about a dozen times a year, and have mastered it's short comings.

Here's a link to an article by one of our forum members comparing hardness testers. I was one of the test participants.

http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Lee. I have adapted it to a microscope (cost $13). I wear trifocal glasses and have no problem seeing through the scope. Reading of the scale is easy. Measurement is quite repeatable and accurate. Since I do one thing at a time I never considered the press "tied up". I have calibrated mine against certified pure lead and found it quite accurate. Never considered the need to take it to the scrap yard as necessary.

The Lee as I use it (quite often actually) is quite satisfactory for my needs. I've no problems with anyone spending the $s for the Cabin Tree and would gladly use and conduct a years long comparison of the two if someone wants to give me one?

Larry Gibson

Attachment 99878Attachment 99879
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 03-18-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Banned

The Lee Precision tester is just as accurate as the Cabine Tree. If you have the $$$ the Cabine Tree makes sense. For me the Lee Precision makes sense.

I have a Lee and I set a stand up for the scope to hold it in place and it is adjustable I wear glasses also that is bifocal and I have no problem with.When I set up on casting and have unknow alloy i test it all and see what the hardnest is and go from there.I do not use any to go to the scrap yard with one.I save that for when I get home.and work what they have and go from there.Also on line somewhere have about that someone had made the chart bigger then that is give with the tool.and you get more info of the readings.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I waffled about ordering the Cabine Tree for something like, oh...forever. Anyway, I'm on Jim's email list so I saw that he had a couple back in stock. Well, now is as good a time to bite the bullet...pun intended…I order one. So I called. I have to tell you that Jim is retired and like all of us must as the years pass, has health issues. He injured his back enough that he was pretty much immobile and was going to stay that way so as not to chance reinjury, up to and including shipping. He didn't take my order but instead directed me to Buffalo Arms. I ordered one off their website. The price is the same but shipping was a bit higher.

At some point Jim is going to really retire on us and stop making his unique products. So if you want something, now is as good time to bite the bullet.

It should be here tomorrow. I already stopped at Harbor Freight and whipped out a 25% off discount coupon for the digital indicator. I'll let you know how my bad attitude and limited intellect find the product.

Boolit Buddy
    I see that nobody has said anything about the LBT hardness tester is there a problem here?
    Sprink

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkintime View Post
    I see that nobody has said anything about the LBT hardness tester is there a problem here?
    Sprink
    I have a LBT tester and also a Lee. Had a Saeco also but sold it. My LBT works OK but can be a little touchy. I like my Lee better. I bought a kid's toy microscope at an auction and mounted the Lee scope in it. I bored different sized holes in a 1/4 in. thick piece of aluminum flat stock to hold my boolits under the scope. Works great and I wear glasses also.

Larry